Qgis roadmap

Agustin Lobo-2
Hi!

I have a question regarding the development plans for Qgis.
Currently, I see QGis as mainly a tool for displaying geographic
information, but
are there plans to develop specific processing and analytic tools or is
QGis relying
on Grass (through the Grass plugin)?

Thanks

Agus
--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)

Re: Qgis roadmap

Tim Sutton
Hi Agustin

The initial plan for QGIS is to make it a robust (ok we still have
some work to do there but we are heading in that direction) GIS data
browser. For analysis we use GRASS integration and plugin API (which
3rd parties can use to create analysis tools).

Once version 1.0 is released we will probably collaborate with OSSIM
project to incorporate functionality from OSSIM into QGIS too, and 2.0
will also introduce various improvements to the architecture. My
feeling is once we have a solid architecture in place at the end of
version 2.0 we could probably start evaluating how we can introduce
QGIS native analysis tools. But this is something that needs to be
discussed among the developer community still. Right now we are trying
not to even think too much on version 2 and really just focus on
getting 1.0 stable and 'out there'.

Regards

Tim

2007/11/18, Agustin Lobo <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> I have a question regarding the development plans for Qgis.
> Currently, I see QGis as mainly a tool for displaying geographic
> information, but
> are there plans to develop specific processing and analytic tools or is
> QGis relying
> on Grass (through the Grass plugin)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Agus
> --
> Dr. Agustin Lobo
> Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
> LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
> 08028 Barcelona
> Spain
> Tel. 34 934095410
> Fax. 34 934110012
> email: [hidden email]
> http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Qgis roadmap

pcav
Agustin Lobo ha scritto:

> are there plans to develop specific processing and analytic tools or is
> QGis relying on Grass (through the Grass plugin)?

In my view, it does not make sense rewriting a complete GIS engine for
QGIS. The integration with grass is very powerful, smooth and easy to
use. This is the way to go, I believe.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini, see: http://www.faunalia.it/pc

Re: Qgis roadmap

giohappy
I think Qgis should improve its browsing, digitizing and *layout* features, and leave the analysis tasks to Grass... otherwise the risk is the "forking" the gis foss community between Qgis and Grass, don't you think?

Giovanni

2007/11/19, G. Allegri <[hidden email]>:
> I think Qgis should improve its browsing, digitizing and *layout* features,
> and leave the analysis tasks to Grass... otherwise the risk is the "forking"
> the gis foss community between Qgis and Grass, don't you think?

I think this creates a false impression. Currently QGIS and GRASS are
separate projects with largely separate developer teams. QGIS
implementing analytical functions is unlikely to 'steal' development
effort from the GRASS project or in any way cause a  fork in the GRASS
code base or the FOSS GIS community. QGIS is open source, and as such
people are free to work on and contribute any thing they like. All
contributions are evaluated on merrit and license compatibility and
are candidates for inclusion into the project if there is agreement
that they enhance the experience of using QGIS. One could apply the
reverse logic here and ask the GRASS project not to work on any other
graphical front end because there is already a lot of work being done
on the QGIS front end - but I don't think this is a reasonable thing
to ask the GRASS project, any more than it is to suggest hat QGIS
should never implement GIS analysis functionality because its 'GRASS's
domain'.

That said to "mprove its browsing, digitizing and *layout* features"
is exactly what our main goal is now and for the forseeable future.

Best regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Qgis roadmap

John C. Tull
On Nov 19, 2007, at 1:45 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Agustin Lobo ha scritto:
>
>> are there plans to develop specific processing and analytic tools
>> or is
>> QGis relying on Grass (through the Grass plugin)?
>
> In my view, it does not make sense rewriting a complete GIS engine for
> QGIS. The integration with grass is very powerful, smooth and easy to
> use. This is the way to go, I believe.
> pc

Adding my 2 [insert currency unit of choice] a bit late. The main
problems I have with the GRASS implementation in Qgis as it currently
stands:

1) Duplication of layers between grass mapsets and qgis shapefiles,
assuming you do any edits in qgis, which I much prefer to using GRASS
editing tools.

2) No access to the grass shell within Qgis in Mac OS X. This requires
me to open grass, then open qgis from grass and go back and forth
between apps to perform grass analyses. I've no idea why the grass
shell is broken in OS X, although I suspect it is a Qt issue. See https://svn.qgis.org/trac/ticket/739

Those are the main show-stoppers for me. I agree with the general
comments about utilizing GRASS and, maybe, ossim to leverage those
capabilities. But I do not see any problem in future development of
analytical tools in qgis.

Cheers,
John Tull