Qgis network plugins

Nathan D
Hello!

I have a question regarding network plugins for qgis. I am trying to solve a problem regarding gravel trucks and slope, with the idea of saving money on fuel, as a fully loaded gravel truck uses more gas to go up a slope, rather than down. I have managed to get the slope data I needed, and draped it over the road lines, giving me a start and end slope, with a third column for the average of the start and end slope degrees. The problem is this: I can't find a network analysis plugin for qgis of any kind that allows for user defined impedences, allowing me to create a road hierarchy. I know that ArcGIS has that functionality, but I was hoping that QGIS would have something like that, and I am not sure if I can build it.

Re: Qgis network plugins

Karsten-3-2
Hi Nathan,

while I myself don't have much experience with network analysis there should be something available for QGIS.

However, for other reasons I have used the awesome ORS plug-in https://github.com/GIScience/orstools-qgis-plugin
that is build on top of https://openrouteservice.org/services/ . It allows to calculate all kind of isochrones an travel time matrixes and the online API also allows for
adding your own route and travel time restrictions ...

Cheers
Karsten

I have a question regarding network plugins for qgis. I am trying to solve a problem regarding gravel trucks and slope, with the idea of saving money on fuel, as a fully loaded gravel truck uses more gas to go up a slope, rather than down. I have managed to get the slope data I needed, and draped it over the road lines, giving me a start and end slope, with a third column for the average of the start and end slope degrees. The problem is this: I can't find a network analysis plugin for qgis of any kind that allows for user defined impedences, allowing me to create a road hierarchy. I know that ArcGIS has that functionality, but I was hoping that QGIS would have something like that, and I am not sure if I can build it.

Re: Qgis network plugins

Moritz Lennert
On 24/09/20 19:59, Nathan D wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a question regarding network plugins for qgis. I am trying to
> solve a problem regarding gravel trucks and slope, with the idea of
> saving money on fuel, as a fully loaded gravel truck uses more gas to go
> up a slope, rather than down. I have managed to get the slope data I
> needed, and draped it over the road lines, giving me a start and end
> slope, with a third column for the average of the start and end slope
> degrees. The problem is this: I can't find a network analysis plugin for
> qgis of any kind that allows for user defined impedences, allowing me to
> create a road hierarchy. I know that ArcGIS has that functionality, but
> I was hoping that QGIS would have something like that, and I am not sure
> if I can build it.

You can use the GRASS GIS v.net.* modules which are accessible via the
processing framework's toolbox if GRASS GIS is installed. They allow
defining a cost column for impedences.

Moritz