Qgis minimum hardware requirements

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Qgis minimum hardware requirements

Irene Vicatos
Dear all,

I am currently working with the QGIS version 2.18 Las Palmas but I will soon switch to the latest 3.4 LTR version.

I have been reading through the question blog in order to figure out which are the minimum hardware requirements for the latest version. All previous given answers are already outdated. More specifically, I would like to know, since I am a laptop owner, what are the following minimum requirements:

  • 1) Speed of CPU and how many cores.
2) How much disk space is needed for installation.

3) Size of Hard Disk and swap space.

  • 4) Minimum RAM memory.

  • 5) Display and screen resolution and lastly.
6) Graphics memory.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to your answer.

Irene Vikatou






_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Qgis minimum hardware requirements

Nicolas Cadieux
Hi,

Someone will come up with a more intelligent answer than me but I have been running QGIS with a 10 year old dual core laptop with Windows 7-64 and 4Go of memory.  I find that the actual limits are mostly imposed by the data and the project complexity rather than the software.   An SSD did save the laptop from the garbage bin!

For anything serious, I use a desktop computer that would make most gamers cry with envy...

Nicolas

Le 10 mars 2019 à 17:19, Irene Vicatos <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Dear all,

I am currently working with the QGIS version 2.18 Las Palmas but I will soon switch to the latest 3.4 LTR version.

I have been reading through the question blog in order to figure out which are the minimum hardware requirements for the latest version. All previous given answers are already outdated. More specifically, I would like to know, since I am a laptop owner, what are the following minimum requirements:

  • 1) Speed of CPU and how many cores.
2) How much disk space is needed for installation.

3) Size of Hard Disk and swap space.

  • 4) Minimum RAM memory.

  • 5) Display and screen resolution and lastly.
6) Graphics memory.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to your answer.

Irene Vikatou





_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Qgis minimum hardware requirements

Patrick Dunford-2

It will depend very much on the size and content of your projects. Vector layers are very efficient in resource usage. If you happen to use raster layers, the software dedicates a lot of resources to caching them, so that is where insufficient memory or swap may become an issue.

If you do work with large projects, adding a 100 GB or larger SSD purely for swap purposes is a lot cheaper than 32 GB of system RAM and not a great deal slower.

On 11/03/19 3:46 PM, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
Hi,

Someone will come up with a more intelligent answer than me but I have been running QGIS with a 10 year old dual core laptop with Windows 7-64 and 4Go of memory.  I find that the actual limits are mostly imposed by the data and the project complexity rather than the software.   An SSD did save the laptop from the garbage bin!

For anything serious, I use a desktop computer that would make most gamers cry with envy...

Nicolas

Le 10 mars 2019 à 17:19, Irene Vicatos <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Dear all,

I am currently working with the QGIS version 2.18 Las Palmas but I will soon switch to the latest 3.4 LTR version.

I have been reading through the question blog in order to figure out which are the minimum hardware requirements for the latest version. All previous given answers are already outdated. More specifically, I would like to know, since I am a laptop owner, what are the following minimum requirements:

  • 1) Speed of CPU and how many cores.
2) How much disk space is needed for installation.

3) Size of Hard Disk and swap space.

  • 4) Minimum RAM memory.

  • 5) Display and screen resolution and lastly.
6) Graphics memory.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to your answer.

Irene Vikatou





_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Qgis minimum hardware requirements

Nicolas Cadieux

  • Hi again,

  • If I was shopping for a laptop, this would be my personal feelings about this (excluding the fact that I would never again, buy a Laptop for GIS!).  If your not shopping for a new laptop, get more memory and a SSD drive if you think your laptop is slow.

  • 1) Speed of CPU and how many cores.
  • CPU speed is not really a problem anymore.  Having more cores is better.  An i7 normally has more core than the I5...  AMD will also put more cores but they are individually slower than Intel's.  I would aim for at least 4 real physical cores (so 8 in total).  Currently, screen rendering is done in threads but not much more.  A new OpenCL option is there (but I can't get it to work on Windows).  This will be worked out soon I imagine and I think more and more algorithms will start using it.  OpenCL can run on CPUs but will shine on video cards (GPU)
2) How much disk space is needed for installation.
-About 5GB

3) Size of Hard Disk and swap space.

-The biggest SSD you can buy.  I would take a laptop that has a m.2 slot based on PCIe (and not based on a m.2 SATA slot).  If not, a regular SATA SSD drive would be next and hybrid drives the last option.  Patrick has a good point on SSDs.  Having the possibility to use an Intel Optane m.2 drive could be nice if you have a free m.2 PCIe slot and a SATA based SSD.

  • 4) Minimum RAM memory.
  • -I would get 16GB now with condition I can upgrade to 32 or 64GB for future proofing.

  • 5) Display and screen resolution and lastly.
  • All displays will probably work.  My 10 year old laptop has 1366 x 768 and this works. That would probably only come with a lower end laptop today. You can most likely get a 1920x1080 or better.  Make sure you have a digital or usb-c (with video) plug to be able to use a second or third bigger screen.
6) Graphics memory.

I have only recently needed to update an nvidia GTX260 in my rig.  That had only 896MB of memory and it only gave me trouble with LiDAR clouds (not in QGIS).  The video card choice will depend on your budget.  I you had a very big budget, professional laptops for CAD will come with pro card like Radeon Pro, or nvidia Quadro. An alternative would be to look at Gaming laptops.  Video cards are geared towards gaming but will come with more dedicated memory.  Then, I would look at AMD based laptops with Ryzen mobile processors with Vega Graphics, then a computer with a dedicated nvidia card and on the bottom of the pile, an Intel processor with integrated Intel graphics and shared memory or and Intel with a integrated Vega (rumored).  (Current affordable desktop video cards come with 6 to 8GB of memory)  4GB is probably good in a laptop.  The reality is that the graphic card will probably only become really handy when OpenCL will become used more in QGIS.  Since CUDA (NVIDIA) development does not seem in the cards, and ATI-AMD would probably be a better choice as AMD support the latest version of OpenCL but not nvidia.  For all those reasons, (and with a hand on my wallet), my gut reaction would be to look at the Ryzen-Vega combos first.  Others will disagree (and please do).

That's my gut feeling for now. 

Nicolas


On 2019-03-12 12:32 p.m., Patrick Dunford wrote:

It will depend very much on the size and content of your projects. Vector layers are very efficient in resource usage. If you happen to use raster layers, the software dedicates a lot of resources to caching them, so that is where insufficient memory or swap may become an issue.

If you do work with large projects, adding a 100 GB or larger SSD purely for swap purposes is a lot cheaper than 32 GB of system RAM and not a great deal slower.

On 11/03/19 3:46 PM, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
Hi,

Someone will come up with a more intelligent answer than me but I have been running QGIS with a 10 year old dual core laptop with Windows 7-64 and 4Go of memory.  I find that the actual limits are mostly imposed by the data and the project complexity rather than the software.   An SSD did save the laptop from the garbage bin!

For anything serious, I use a desktop computer that would make most gamers cry with envy...

Nicolas

Le 10 mars 2019 à 17:19, Irene Vicatos <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Dear all,

I am currently working with the QGIS version 2.18 Las Palmas but I will soon switch to the latest 3.4 LTR version.

I have been reading through the question blog in order to figure out which are the minimum hardware requirements for the latest version. All previous given answers are already outdated. More specifically, I would like to know, since I am a laptop owner, what are the following minimum requirements:

  • 1) Speed of CPU and how many cores.
2) How much disk space is needed for installation.

3) Size of Hard Disk and swap space.

  • 4) Minimum RAM memory.

  • 5) Display and screen resolution and lastly.
6) Graphics memory.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to your answer.

Irene Vikatou





_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Qgis minimum hardware requirements

pcav
Hi Nicholas,
thanks for your analysis. Not to scare people away, I would like to
stress that these are quite far from *minimum* requirements.
QGIS runs happily on almost any hardware.
All the best.

On 12/03/19 21:30, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
>   * Hi again,
>   *
>
>   * If I was shopping for a laptop, this would be my personal feelings
>     about this (excluding the fact that I would never again, buy a
>     Laptop for GIS!).  If your not shopping for a new laptop, get more
>     memory and a SSD drive if you think your laptop is slow.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:
http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Qgis minimum hardware requirements

Nicolas Cadieux
Indeed!
:)
Nicolas

> Le 13 mars 2019 à 04:08, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Nicholas,
> thanks for your analysis. Not to scare people away, I would like to
> stress that these are quite far from *minimum* requirements.
> QGIS runs happily on almost any hardware.
> All the best.
>
>> On 12/03/19 21:30, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
>>  * Hi again,
>>  *
>>
>>  * If I was shopping for a laptop, this would be my personal feelings
>>    about this (excluding the fact that I would never again, buy a
>>    Laptop for GIS!).  If your not shopping for a new laptop, get more
>>    memory and a SSD drive if you think your laptop is slow.
>
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair:
> http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user