Quantcast

[Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

[Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Otto Dassau-3
Hi Yves,

is there a list of tex files that still have to be converted to rst? I would
like to get some more practice :), but don't want to duplicate work.

Regards
Otto

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Paolo Corti
2012/4/16 Otto Dassau <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Yves,
>
> is there a list of tex files that still have to be converted to rst? I would
> like to get some more practice :), but don't want to duplicate work.

Hi guys
one think that we should seriously consider, it is to write down (to
include in the readme.rst file), and
actually apply, some guidelines for the rst style we are using.
I would suggest to follow the rules that have been used for writing
the Python documentation, that are at some extent, specially for
sections, described here [1].
what do you think?
ciao

[1] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/rest.html

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Otto Dassau-3
Am Mon, 16 Apr 2012 23:27:46 +0200
schrieb Paolo Corti <[hidden email]>:

> 2012/4/16 Otto Dassau <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi Yves,
> >
> > is there a list of tex files that still have to be converted to rst? I
> > would like to get some more practice :), but don't want to duplicate
> > work.
> >

> Hi guys
> one think that we should seriously consider, it is to write down (to
> include in the readme.rst file), and
> actually apply, some guidelines for the rst style we are using.
> I would suggest to follow the rules that have been used for writing
> the Python documentation, that are at some extent, specially for
> sections, described here [1].
> what do you think?
> ciao
>
> [1] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/rest.html

Hi,

yes, that would be a god idea. Can someone start a current list, maybe
Yves, because you have the best overview about the work done, I guess?

Regards
Otto

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Jean-Roc Morreale
Le 16/04/2012 16:08, Otto Dassau a écrit :
> Hi Yves,
>
> is there a list of tex files that still have to be converted to rst? I would
> like to get some more practice :), but don't want to duplicate work.
>
> Regards
> Otto

I've created this page to ease the repartition of the work, these file
have been converted with latex2rst.py or pandoc and still need a lot of
work :

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/LaTeX_to_RST_migration

Some latex files are still missing but will be added later.

regards,
jean-roc

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Paolo Corti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/4/16 Otto Dassau <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Yves,
>>
>> is there a list of tex files that still have to be converted to rst? I would
>> like to get some more practice :), but don't want to duplicate work.
>>

> Hi guys
> one think that we should seriously consider, it is to write down (to
> include in the readme.rst file), and
> actually apply, some guidelines for the rst style we are using.
> I would suggest to follow the rules that have been used for writing
> the Python documentation, that are at some extent, specially for
> sections, described here [1].
> what do you think?
> ciao

Hi Yves
now that more and more people seems impacted in the tex to rst
migration process, we should really consider updating the
documentation style guide [1].
Are you ok, as suggested in previous email, to proceed with the Python
documentation style guide [2]?
Can I update [1] with a very evident link to [2] (and you upgrade your
export script for taking care of [2])?
Let me know

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/readme
[2] http://docs.python.org/devguide/documenting.html

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Alexander Bruy
Hi,

I want to help with conversion and as first step I get print composer section.
I added myself to wiki page.

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Otto Dassau-3
Hi Alex,

perfect and thanks.

Regards
Otto

Am Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:32:42 +0300
schrieb Alexander Bruy <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I want to help with conversion and as first step I get print composer
> section. I added myself to wiki page.

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Alexander Bruy
Hi again,

just tried to update my repo using next commands

git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/master

where upstream is a QGIS original documentation repo
I get errors

warning: too many files (created: 4250 deleted: 7468), skipping
inexact rename detection
error: refusing to lose untracked file at
'source_latex/german_de/plugins_geoprocessing_images/icon_buffer.png'
error: refusing to lose untracked file at
'source_latex/german_de/plugins_grass_module_images/db.connect.1.png'
error: refusing to lose untracked file at
'source_latex/german_de/plugins_grass_module_images/db.connect.schema.1.png'
CONFLICT (rename/delete): Rename
russian_ru/plugins_geoprocessing_images/icon_buffer.png->source_latex/german_de/plugins_geoprocessing_images/icon_buffer.png
in upstream/master and deleted in HEAD
CONFLICT (rename/delete): Rename
russian_ru/plugins_grass_module_images/db.connect.1.png->source_latex/german_de/plugins_grass_module_images/db.connect.1.png
in upstream/master and deleted in HEAD
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

Any hints how to resolve this? Maybe I should reclone whole repository?

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

bogzab
I would like to help with this task also. If I understand correctly it is a case of tidying up the .rst files which have been generated from tex by a converter program. I will put my name down on the wiki page against one or two files, but first could somebody post details of how to download the rst files from the repository (server name, user access details).

Thanks

Bogus Zaba

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Alexander Bruy

seems some tags are missed from list [0], for example in print composer
section there are several

\dropmenuopttwo{mActionNewComposer}{New Print Composer}

for which there is no RST equivalent. What should I do with this?

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/readme

Thanks
--
Alexander Bruy

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Alexander Bruy
Also is there any guide ragarding directory layout, especially where
to place images: in the top level img directory or in the img subdirectory
inside section directory?

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Jean-Roc Morreale
Have a look here :

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/user_guide/plugins/img

Le 21/04/2012 11:20, Alexander Bruy a écrit :

> Also is there any guide ragarding directory layout, especially where
> to place images: in the top level img directory or in the img subdirectory
> inside section directory?
>
> 2012/4/21 Alexander Bruy<[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> seems some tags are missed from list [0], for example in print composer
>> section there are several
>>
>> \dropmenuopttwo{mActionNewComposer}{New Print Composer}
>>
>> for which there is no RST equivalent. What should I do with this?
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/readme
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Alexander Bruy

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Alexander Bruy
Jean,
seems you commited a _build directory by mistake in 05f19b339d.

Le 21/04/2012 13:53, Alexander Bruy a écrit :
> Jean,
> seems you commited a _build directory by mistake in 05f19b339d.
>
> 2012/4/21 MORREALE Jean Roc<[hidden email]>:
>> Have a look here :
>>
>> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/user_guide/plugins/img

Oops, I'm correcting it right now

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

maning sambale
So the converted rst is now in github. Great!  Should we start hacking
our way? Or there are more text to rst conversions coming?
I would like to focus on the English docs for now mainly on formatting
and maybe work my way towards the content.

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Alexander Bruy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> seems some tags are missed from list [0], for example in print composer
> section there are several
>
> \dropmenuopttwo{mActionNewComposer}{New Print Composer}
>
> for which there is no RST equivalent. What should I do with this?
>
> [0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/readme
>
> Thanks
> --
> Alexander Bruy

cheers,
maning

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

maning sambale
I made initial text to rst substitutions following the GUI conventions
[0].  Please advise if I'm doing it right before continuing.  Thanks!

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/8

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM, maning sambale
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the converted rst is now in github. Great!  Should we start hacking
> our way? Or there are more text to rst conversions coming?
> I would like to focus on the English docs for now mainly on formatting
> and maybe work my way towards the content.
>

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Alexander Bruy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> seems some tags are missed from list [0], for example in print composer
>> section there are several
>>
>> \dropmenuopttwo{mActionNewComposer}{New Print Composer}
>>
>> for which there is no RST equivalent. What should I do with this?
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/readme
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Alexander Bruy

> cheers,
> maning
> wiki: http://esambale.wikispaces.com/
> blog: http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/

cheers,
maning

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Paolo Corti
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM, maning sambale
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I made initial text to rst substitutions following the GUI conventions
> [0].  Please advise if I'm doing it right before continuing.  Thanks!
>
> [0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/8

Hi Emmanuel
thanks for the effort ;)

It looks perfect, but just a couple of notes (gave just a quick read):

* first label is broken (must be .. `feature_glance`)
* I would go to a new line every 80 characters
* I would follow the recommendation for section from the Python
documentation style guide [1]

Make always sure that the QGIS documentation (at least for html)
correctly builds.
According to the documentation [2], to perform this, just type:

    make html SOURCE=user_guide

then go with your browser to the page you created/updated, in your
case something like:

file:///......./QGIS-Documentation/build/html/user_guide/en/introduction/features_at_a_glance.html

At this time there is a problem with images, I am trying to figure out
what is the best approach for images internationalization, so don't be
afraid if they are not displayed

thanks

[1] http://docs.python.org/devguide/documenting.html#sections
[2] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master/readme.rst

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: [Qgis-community-team] tex to rst conversion

Yves Jacolin
all,

Sorry to not answer to all of your question. I was on trip all last week and
have no enough time to follow all thread.

I am fine with all of your message :)

Go ahead!

Y.