[Qgis-community-team] hmtl index name of Processing algorithms

[Qgis-community-team] hmtl index name of Processing algorithms

ghtmtt
Hi all,

I'm seeing that the permalink of the processing algorithms on the
website does not end with the algorithm name, but with an id:

http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_creation_tools.html#id46

is there a reason for id? IMHO it would be better to have the name of
the algorithm itself in the permalink, like:

http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_creation_tools.html#create_grid

Any opinions?

Cheers

Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] hmtl index name of Processing algorithms

DelazJ
Hi Matteo,

Links to algorithms are generated using the path to the file + chapter + the section title (which should be the alg name), hence ALL algs are normally provided with a link ended with their name...

As you may notice, the first link you provide (the id one) is the link to the algorithm in the page Table of content. It doesn't lead to the algorithm description itself. But http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_creation_tools.html#random-points-along-line does (clicking the title or the widget aside makes the difference).

Id links are only internal sequential link generated in the concerned page, hence can change if new links are created above... They shouldn't be used as persistent link imho...

Harrissou

I'm seeing that the permalink of the processing algorithms on the
website does not end with the algorithm name, but with an id:

http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_creation_tools.html#id46

is there a reason for id? IMHO it would be better to have the name of
the algorithm itself in the permalink, like:

http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_creation_tools.html#create_grid

Any opinions?

Cheers

Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] hmtl index name of Processing algorithms

DelazJ
nota: create_grids alg is actually the current id46 and not random-points-along-line (as I sent earlier)

And yes, doc help ( for algorithm and common dialogs) should rely on the full and readable/understandable link instead of the id's. I'd even favor using rst internal anchors (which could ensure that help sections are always retrieved even if the chapters are restructured but no idea what it requires nor if possible(/desirable)).

[...]

Hi Harrissou,

On 06/28/2017 03:55 PM, DelazJ wrote:

> Hi Matteo,
>
> Links to algorithms are generated using the path to the file + chapter +
> the section title (which should be the alg name), hence ALL algs are
> normally provided with a link ended with their name...
>
> As you may notice, the first link you provide (the id one) is the link to
> the algorithm in the page Table of content. It doesn't lead to the
> algorithm description itself. But
> http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_creation_tools.html#random-points-along-line
> does (clicking the title or the widget aside makes the difference).

ehehe this make perfect sense to.. it seemed strange to me this behavior
change..

> Id links are only internal sequential link generated in the concerned page,
> hence can change if new links are created above... They shouldn't be used
> as persistent link imho...

got it, perfect, thanks again Harrissou!

Cheers

Matteo