[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Case Study: The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) Project

[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Case Study: The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) Project

polczynskim

Greetings QGIS Community Team.  A  QGIS pop-up tip said to send QGIS case studies to this e-mail.  The following is my case study...

The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) project (http://epublications.marquette.edu/ottoman_crimea/) produced a gazetteer database that includes populated places, districts, and provinces of Crimea in existence at the end of the Crimean Khanate. The primary source of data was Henryk Jankowski’s Historical-Etymological Dictionary of Pre-Russian Habitation Names of the Crimea.  Of the 137 populated places shown on Jankowski’s map, 99 have been associated with existing places.  These are the populated place entries in the HGC.  The gazetteer also includes locations for six provinces and 43 districts.  The gazetteer was generated as a QGIS project with geolocation of places being done by associating Jankowski’s places with currently-existing places contained in the GeoNames database (http://www.geonames.org).

--

Mark Polczynski

Re: [Qgis-community-team] QGIS Case Study: The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) Project

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Mark

It will be really great to include your case study on our web site. Perhaps you could have a look at https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/case_studies/index.html and get some inspiration in terms of providing a little more detail and some images etc.

Otto are you still able to help with walking Mark through the process of getting his case study included?

Regards

Tim

On 05 Dec 2017, at 21:50, Mark Polczynski <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: [Qgis-community-team] QGIS Case Study: The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) Project

Otto Dassau-3
Hi Mark,

as Tim already wrote
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/case_studies/index.html provides some
information about "what you need to provide" for a case study:

Structure
=========

The stories should follow a simple structure and we suggest to write about
800 words including one or two screenshots.

Title
=====

Short Introduction with background of the company / institute / authority /
university (length about 200 words). Story about your project/application
and what QGIS is used for (length about 400 words plus screenshots)
Conclusion showing positive experiences/benefits using QGIS (length about
200 words)

And of course there are many sample case studies you can use to get
inspiration.

When it's done, just send me the document and pictures and I can add them to
the qgis.org.

Best whishes
Otto

--
Geoinformatikbüro Dassau GmbH
Rethelstrasse 153

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Düsseldorf, HR B 74022
Geschäftsführer: Otto Dassau

Re: [Qgis-community-team] QGIS Case Study: The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) Project

polczynskim
Thanks for the feedback, that really helps.  I will cut down the full description of the project and send it to you in a few days.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:59 AM, Otto Dassau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > case studies to this e-mail.  The following is my case study...
> >
> > The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) project
> > (http://epublications.marquette.edu/ottoman_crimea/
> > <http://epublications.marquette.edu/ottoman_crimea/>) produced a
> > gazetteer database that includes populated places, districts, and
> > provinces of Crimea in existence at the end of the Crimean Khanate. The
> > primary source of data was Henryk Jankowski’s Historical-Etymological
> > Dictionary of Pre-Russian Habitation Names of the Crimea.  Of the 137
> > populated places shown on Jankowski’s map, 99 have been associated with
> > existing places.  These are the populated place entries in the HGC.  The
> > gazetteer also includes locations for six provinces and 43 districts.
> > The gazetteer was generated as a QGIS project with geolocation of places
> > being done by associating Jankowski’s places with currently-existing

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B49-211-69937750" value="+4921169937750">+49-211-69937750
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49-211-69937751" value="+4921169937751">+49-211-69937751
Mobile  <a href="tel:%2B49-171-4687540" value="+491714687540">+49-171-4687540