[Qgis-community-team] New branch for 3.x documentation (master_3x)

[Qgis-community-team] New branch for 3.x documentation (master_3x)

Alexandre Neto
Hello All,

As a result of a long discussion around how to contribute with documentation for 3.x new features [0], we decided to create a master_3x branch [1].

From now on, all new features landing on QGIS 2.99 should be documented in the "master_3x" branch.

All new documentation and improvements as we go through the latest releases issues (2.16 [2] and 2.18 [3]) should still be worked on the master branch. When it makes sense, the documentation team will do his best to "forward port" them to master_3x branch.

After 2.18 release as LTR (June?) and consequent release of 2.18 documentation, "master_3x" will be merged into "master" and all should go back to normal. That is, all contributions can be done in the "master" branch.

To help us document the all the new features, we kindly ask all developers to add the [FEATURE] and [NEED-DOCS] tags in their commits and provide some simple guidance on how to use the new features in the commit message.

Thanks

Alexandre Neto

[0] - https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2017-March/047346.html
[1] - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master_3x
[2] - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A%22QGIS+2.16%22
[3] - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A%22QGIS+2.18%22
--
Alexandre Neto

Re: [Qgis-community-team] New branch for 3.x documentation (master_3x)

Alexandre Neto
Just an amend. The correct tag to inform that documentation is needed is
[NEEDS-DOCS] (mind the S's).

Thanks Harrisou for spotting the error

Alexandre Neto

---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com
--
Alexandre Neto

Re: [Qgis-community-team] New branch for 3.x documentation (master_3x)

Alexandre Neto
Hi all,

Following Mathias Kuhn suggestions we change strategy a bit:

1) "release_2.18" branch is now the default working branch;
2) all commits landing on "release_2.18" branch will be "immediately" cherry-picked to "master";
2) 3.x features will documented directly on "master" branch.

If everything goes according to plan, by the time we release 2.18 documentation, the "master" branch will be fully updated and ready to became the default branch again.

Thank you all for your help and input.

Alexandre Neto