[Qgis-community-team] Move old core plugins documentation and port it to Processing

[Qgis-community-team] Move old core plugins documentation and port it to Processing

ghtmtt
Hi guys,

some old QGIS 2.x plugins have been totally ported into Processing:

* Heatmap
* Interpolation
* Zonal statistics

and are not longer available in the plugin menu. While

* Gdal Tools

have been ported into Processing but they still have their menu.

I think we have to move (and adapt of course) the docs of the first
group into the Processing documentation and remove from the plugin
index. For The heatmap there is also a nice example that it's worth to
include and don't loose.

For gdal tools I'd say to let them where they are: even if this could
seem a duplication of documents, actually they are available in 2
different places.

index of the existing documentation here:

https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/

Ideas?

Cheers

Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Move old core plugins documentation and port it to Processing

DelazJ
Hi Matteo,

See https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1806, the eldest open pull request. I never merged it because i expected that there are some details a doc writer would like to reuse one day. The day has come?

> For gdal tools I'd say to let them where they are: even if this could
> seem a duplication of documents, actually they are available in 2
> different places.

Here, I disagree with you:
- duplicates should be avoided. When algs get updates, it just double the work if the committer does not forget one of the page (in which case you end up with two different descriptions -really bad). Better take advantage of cross link rather than duplicating contents.
- GdalTools (Raster menu) is not different from fTools (Vector menu), hence they should be handled the same way. While vector has been placed at the top of Processing chapter (http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing/index.html%E2%80%A6) I don't feel it makes sense there and had opened an issue report at https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/2123. Inputs are welcome.

Regards,
Harrissou

> index of the existing documentation here:
>
> https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/
>
> Ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Move old core plugins documentation and port it to Processing

ghtmtt
Hi Harrissou,

> See https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1806, the eldest open pull request. I never merged it because i expected that there are some details a doc writer would like to reuse one day. The day has come?

I missed this PR ;).

I'll say yes, the day has come so when can compact the documentation and
avoid redundancy. As I said I'll include the existing examples in the
new documentation

When I'm ready with this Processing chapter I'll make a PR that removes
also those sections

> Here, I disagree with you:
> - duplicates should be avoided. When algs get updates, it just double the work if the committer does not forget one of the page (in which case you end up with two different descriptions -really bad). Better take advantage of cross link rather than duplicating contents.
> - GdalTools (Raster menu) is not different from fTools (Vector menu), hence they should be handled the same way. While vector has been placed at the top of Processing chapter (http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing/index.html%E2%80%A6) I don't feel it makes sense there and had opened an issue report at https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/2123. Inputs are welcome.

Ok no strong opinion and I understand all you points.

Where to place the ftools and gdaltool could be tricky. I agree that
having them at the top of Processing is not the correct place.. no ideas
for the moment

Thanks

Matteo

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Move old core plugins documentation and port it to Processing

DelazJ
Hi Matteo,

Hi Harrissou,

> See https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1806, the eldest open pull request. I never merged it because i expected that there are some details a doc writer would like to reuse one day. The day has come?

I missed this PR ;).

I'll say yes, the day has come so when can compact the documentation and
avoid redundancy. As I said I'll include the existing examples in the
new documentation

When I'm ready with this Processing chapter I'll make a PR that removes
also those sections

No need for a new PR, just merge #1806 when ready: it must cover most of (or all) removed plugins (i didn't check recent changes from Processing).

Regards,
Harrissou