[Qgis-community-team] MapInfor to QGIS....Please help.....

[Qgis-community-team] MapInfor to QGIS....Please help.....

naomi jackson
Hi I am new to Quantum GIS,
I work in the GIS dept for a regional Organisation here in the Pacific (SOPAC a division of South Pacisfic Communities)in FIJI.

The project that i am working on is to migrate a Project that i have completed in MapInfo 10.0 using Map Basic 10.0 into QGIS.
"Customised MapInfo Display Of Land Cover Of The Low Lying islands"
I wish to display the same in QGIS.

My PC has :
·         Windows  XP(and so do the other users in the department to which i will need to install QGIS in their systems when i get it working)
·         Python 2.7
·         QGIS 1.6.0

Is it possible
  •     Automatically open  a layer using python “considering Windows XP”(I see a lot of examples on linux and Unix)…If so can anyone please guide me thru some codes or sites for more clarification.
  •        Write a program to create a dropdown menu in QGIS to select layers and it automatically zooms to the layer selected rather than using the layer control to select manually.(WINDOWS XP)
I have a whole lot of questions I will begin with these two…..

I appreciate your suggestions and hope to get positive responses..

Thanks
Naomi

Re: [Qgis-community-team] MapInfor to QGIS....Please help.....

Nathan Woodrow
Hey Naomi,

Sure both those things are possible.

Do you need to be able to open the layer inside QGIS using Python? e.g do you plan to have a QGIS plugin which has a open X layer button and when pressed will open the layer in QGIS

- Nathan

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM, naomi jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim Sutton
Hi

Can I suggest to move this discussion to the QGIS users list. This
list is for the community team (documentors, translators etc) so much
important feedback will be missed by holding your discussion here.

You can sign up for the list here:

Regards

Tim

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Naomi,
>
> Sure both those things are possible.
>
> Do you need to be able to open the layer inside QGIS using Python? e.g do
> you plan to have a QGIS plugin which has a open X layer button and when
> pressed will open the layer in QGIS
>
> - Nathan
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM, naomi jackson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi I am new to Quantum GIS,
>> I work in the GIS dept for a regional Organisation here in the Pacific
>> (SOPAC a division of South Pacisfic Communities)in FIJI.
>>
>> The project that i am working on is to migrate a Project that i have
>> completed in MapInfo 10.0 using Map Basic 10.0 into QGIS.
>> "Customised MapInfo Display Of Land Cover Of The Low Lying islands"
>> I wish to display the same in QGIS.
>>
>> My PC has :
>> ·         Windows  XP(and so do the other users in the department to which
>> i will need to install QGIS in their systems when i get it working)
>> ·         Python 2.7
>> ·         QGIS 1.6.0
>>
>> Is it possible
>>
>>     Automatically open  a layer using python “considering Windows XP”(I
>> see a lot of examples on linux and Unix)…If so can anyone please guide me
>> thru some codes or sites for more clarification.
>>        Write a program to create a dropdown menu in QGIS to select layers
>> and it automatically zooms to the layer selected rather than using the layer
>> control to select manually.(WINDOWS XP)
>>
>> I have a whole lot of questions I will begin with these two…..
>>
>> I appreciate your suggestions and hope to get positive responses..
>>
>> Thanks
>> Naomi

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming services