[Qgis-community-team] Documentation about OGC conformance tests

[Qgis-community-team] Documentation about OGC conformance tests

Marco Hugentobler-4

Hi documentation team

I'd like to add a short description how to install and run the OGC WMS conformance tests for QGIS Server. Is docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/ogc_server_support.rst a good place or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks,

Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Documentation about OGC conformance tests

Yves Jacolin
On Friday, December 09, 2016 10:49:24 Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi documentation team
>
> I'd like to add a short description how to install and run the OGC WMS
> conformance tests for QGIS Server. Is
> docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/ogc_server_support.rst a good place or
> do you have another suggestion?
>
> Thanks,

Marco,

This is a good question. Who will use this doc? User (even advanced user) or
developper (ie QGIS contributor).

We could have a developper section as we have an user_manual section or add
this in the QGIS repository (not the doc one) depending who is the target.
This developper section could contains "pyqgis_developer_cookbook" and some
other advanced low level documentation but I am not sure that there will have
enought doc inside.

So I have no strong opinion but if we choose the user manual, I prefer to add
this in a new chapter or section, outside ogc_server_support.rst (something at
the same level though), something like:

Working with OGC Data

    QGIS as OGC Data Client
    QGIS as OGC Data Server
    OGC conformance tests

Regards,

Y.
PS: we will use probably this for the next hackfest, on monday in Lyon :)

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Documentation about OGC conformance tests

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi Yves

>This is a good question. Who will use this doc? User (even advanced user) or
>developper (ie QGIS contributor).

Mostly developers, in rare cases advanced users. I agree it would better
fit into a developer section or a wiki than the user documentation.

Regards,
Marco

On 12/09/16 11:11, Yves Jacolin wrote:

> On Friday, December 09, 2016 10:49:24 Marco Hugentobler wrote:
>> Hi documentation team
>>
>> I'd like to add a short description how to install and run the OGC WMS
>> conformance tests for QGIS Server. Is
>> docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/ogc_server_support.rst a good place or
>> do you have another suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> Marco,
>
> This is a good question. Who will use this doc? User (even advanced user) or
> developper (ie QGIS contributor).
>
> We could have a developper section as we have an user_manual section or add
> this in the QGIS repository (not the doc one) depending who is the target.
> This developper section could contains "pyqgis_developer_cookbook" and some
> other advanced low level documentation but I am not sure that there will have
> enought doc inside.
>
> So I have no strong opinion but if we choose the user manual, I prefer to add
> this in a new chapter or section, outside ogc_server_support.rst (something at
> the same level though), something like:
>
> Working with OGC Data
>
>      QGIS as OGC Data Client
>      QGIS as OGC Data Server
>      OGC conformance tests
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.
> PS: we will use probably this for the next hackfest, on monday in Lyon :)

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Documentation about OGC conformance tests

DelazJ
Hi,
Note that there's currently a discussion (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/1566) whether the developer's guide in the main website should move to the doc repo, may be in a new doc (Inputs are welcome). Would that also fit the kind of content you are willing to write, Marco?

Regards,
Harrissou

Hi Yves

On 12/09/16 11:46, DelazJ wrote:
Hi,
Note that there's currently a discussion (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/1566) whether the developer's guide in the main website should move to the doc repo, may be in a new doc (Inputs are welcome). Would that also fit the kind of content you are willing to write, Marco?

Yes, the documentation about the OGC conformance tests would probably fit into the developers guide.
Shall I write it to the developers guide (which will then be migrated to the doku) for now?

Regards,
Marco

Regards,
Harrissou

Hi Yves

On Friday, December 09, 2016 14:46:40 Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Yes, the documentation about the OGC conformance tests would probably fit
> into the developers guide. Shall I write it to the developers guide (which
> will then be migrated to the doku) for now?
+1 for me

Let's start like this and move the content later. I will probably do it next
week at the QGIS code sprint in Lyon (if you are fast enough) :)

Y.