[Qgis-community-team] About publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book & e-book

[Qgis-community-team] About publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book & e-book

Sanghee Shin
Hi all,

OSGeo Korean Language Chapter have just completed the translation of QGIS manual in Korean. And our local chapter members are currently talking about the possibility of publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book  & e-book. We believe that publishing Korean QGIS manual will increase the interest & awareness of QGIS here in Korea.

So I'm just wondering whether our local chapter need to get any permission from QGIS international community or there is anything we need to pay attention to.

Any advice or help will be appreciated.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

Re: [Qgis-community-team] About publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book & e-book

Tim Sutton
Hi

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Shin, Sanghee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OSGeo Korean Language Chapter have just completed the translation of QGIS manual in Korean. And our local chapter members are currently talking about the possibility of publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book  & e-book. We believe that publishing Korean QGIS manual will increase the interest & awareness of QGIS here in Korea.

Wow! Awesome work! Please be aware of the ongoing work to convert the
documentation of QGIS into the sphinx/rst format.

> So I'm just wondering whether our local chapter need to get any permission from QGIS international community or there is anything we need to pay attention to.

There is no need to ask permission but it would be nice to:

- notify Otto when it is ready so he can put a link to it on the QGIS web site
- if you are selling the hard copies for profit, it would be nice if
you could assign some of the profits to QGIS project. Jean-Roc can
tell you more about how they manage this with the Frence printed
manual.

Also remember that you should not remove the attribution of authors or
publish it under a different license to the original works.

Regards

Tim

> Any advice or help will be appreciated.
>
> With regards,
>
> Sanghee
> ---
> Shin, Sanghee
> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
> http://www.gaia3d.com
> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: [Qgis-community-team] About publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book & e-book

Otto Dassau-3
Hi Sanghee,

the manual is licensed under GNU FDL, your publishing plan needs to fit
this. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.en.html

And we would like to encourage you to integrate the book/pdf/e-book into the
QGIS website. For English, French and German we publish printed versions on
demand via LuLu press. I guess we could assist you here and help to add it,
too.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/otto-dasseau/quantum-gis-17-user-manual-bw/paperback/product-17263706.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/otto-dasseau/quantum-gis-17-user-manual/paperback/product-17263657.html

Regards
Otto

Am Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:47:32 +0900
schrieb "Shin, Sanghee" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> OSGeo Korean Language Chapter have just completed the translation of QGIS
> manual in Korean. And our local chapter members are currently talking
> about the possibility of publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book  &
> e-book. We believe that publishing Korean QGIS manual will increase the
> interest & awareness of QGIS here in Korea.
>
> So I'm just wondering whether our local chapter need to get any permission
> from QGIS international community or there is anything we need to pay
> attention to.
>
> Any advice or help will be appreciated.
>
> With regards,
>
> Sanghee
> ---
> Shin, Sanghee
> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
> http://www.gaia3d.com
> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

Re: [Qgis-community-team] About publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book & e-book

Sanghee Shin
Hi Otto & Tim,

Thank you for your advice and guide.

We surely contribute some money to QGIS community, if we generate profit from publishing.

I'm not sure whether LuLu press service is good option for Korean users, since I think that delivery cost would exceed the actual book price. Instead, we'll try to find Korean on-demand publishing company.

And we're not so used to sphinx/rst format. Actually Korean QGIS manual is in MS-Word format now and under correction and finishing. Is here anybody that could help me how to concert MS-Word format to sphinx/rst?

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2012. 4. 19., 오후 5:07, Otto Dassau 작성:

> Hi Sanghee,
>
> the manual is licensed under GNU FDL, your publishing plan needs to fit
> this. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.en.html
>
> And we would like to encourage you to integrate the book/pdf/e-book into the
> QGIS website. For English, French and German we publish printed versions on
> demand via LuLu press. I guess we could assist you here and help to add it,
> too.
>
> http://www.lulu.com/shop/otto-dasseau/quantum-gis-17-user-manual-bw/paperback/product-17263706.html
> http://www.lulu.com/shop/otto-dasseau/quantum-gis-17-user-manual/paperback/product-17263657.html
>
> Regards
> Otto
>
> Am Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:47:32 +0900
> schrieb "Shin, Sanghee" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> OSGeo Korean Language Chapter have just completed the translation of QGIS
>> manual in Korean. And our local chapter members are currently talking
>> about the possibility of publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book  &
>> e-book. We believe that publishing Korean QGIS manual will increase the
>> interest & awareness of QGIS here in Korea.
>>
>> So I'm just wondering whether our local chapter need to get any permission
>> from QGIS international community or there is anything we need to pay
>> attention to.
>>
>> Any advice or help will be appreciated.
>>
>> With regards,
>>
>> Sanghee
>> ---
>> Shin, Sanghee
>> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
>> http://www.gaia3d.com
>> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
>> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

Re: [Qgis-community-team] About publishing Korean QGIS manual in real book & e-book

Otto Dassau-3
Hi Sanghee,

you are right with the publishing...

... in the long run it might be a good idea to add the Korean translation to
the QGIS Documentation project, too. And we would of course help you with the
conversion to sphinx/rst.

Please follow the current latex to rst conversion process on the
community-list. Once this is done, we can manage the integration of the
Korean translation, if that is ok for you.

If you want, you could already add you to the list of translators:
http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Manual_Translation

Kind Regards
Otto

Am Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:23:08 +0900
schrieb "Shin, Sanghee" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Otto & Tim,
>
> Thank you for your advice and guide.
>
> We surely contribute some money to QGIS community, if we generate profit
> from publishing.
>
> I'm not sure whether LuLu press service is good option for Korean users,
> since I think that delivery cost would exceed the actual book price.
> Instead, we'll try to find Korean on-demand publishing company.
>
> And we're not so used to sphinx/rst format. Actually Korean QGIS manual is
> in MS-Word format now and under correction and finishing. Is here anybody
> that could help me how to concert MS-Word format to sphinx/rst?
>
> With regards,
>
> Sanghee
> ---
> Shin, Sanghee
> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
> http://www.gaia3d.com
> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478
>
> 2012. 4. 19., 오후 5:07, Otto Dassau 작성:
>
> > Hi Sanghee,
> >
> > the manual is licensed under GNU FDL, your publishing plan needs to fit
> > this. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.en.html
> >
> > And we would like to encourage you to integrate the book/pdf/e-book into
> > the QGIS website. For English, French and German we publish printed
> > versions on demand via LuLu press. I guess we could assist you here and
> > help to add it, too.
> >
> > http://www.lulu.com/shop/otto-dasseau/quantum-gis-17-user-manual-bw/paperback/product-17263706.html
> > http://www.lulu.com/shop/otto-dasseau/quantum-gis-17-user-manual/paperback/product-17263657.html
> >
> > Regards
> > Otto
> >
> > Am Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:47:32 +0900
> > schrieb "Shin, Sanghee" <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> OSGeo Korean Language Chapter have just completed the translation of
> >> QGIS manual in Korean. And our local chapter members are currently
> >> talking about the possibility of publishing Korean QGIS manual in real
> >> book  & e-book. We believe that publishing Korean QGIS manual will
> >> increase the interest & awareness of QGIS here in Korea.
> >>
> >> So I'm just wondering whether our local chapter need to get any
> >> permission from QGIS international community or there is anything we
> >> need to pay attention to.
> >>
> >> Any advice or help will be appreciated.
> >>
> >> With regards,
> >>
> >> Sanghee
> >> ---
> >> Shin, Sanghee
> >> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
> >> http://www.gaia3d.com
> >> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
> >> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

Geoinformatik Büro Dassau - http://www.gbd-consult.de
FOSSGIS consulting , training , support  and analysis
Davenstedter Str. 60  ,  D - 30453 Hannover , Germany
Phone:  +49-(0)511-2615322 ,  Fax: +49-(0)511-2615323

--
Community Advisor - QGIS Project Steering Committee