[Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Yves Jacolin
Hello doc contributors,

Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the QGIS
Documentation.

I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be merged and
backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.

Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to focus on
issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?

A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the following:

1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes needed "
2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and keep the
work going as soon as the PR is merged.

Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python cookbook. I
am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take care of
it soon.

We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and #1579.
If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!

Thanks all for your help for the documentation!

Y.
_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Alexandre Neto
Hello Yves,

Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some work, but it was a family tagged weekend :-)

I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18 issues.

Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can keep work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).

Thanks

Alex Neto

Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 14:40:
Hello doc contributors,

Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the QGIS
Documentation.

I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be merged and
backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.

Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to focus on
issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?

A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the following:

1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes needed "
2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and keep the
work going as soon as the PR is merged.

Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python cookbook. I
am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take care of
it soon.

We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and #1579.
If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!

Thanks all for your help for the documentation!

Y._______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Yves Jacolin
Hello,

On lundi 1 mai 2017 13:55:10 CEST Alexandre Neto wrote:
> Hello Yves,
>
> Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some work,
> but it was a family tagged weekend :-)
:))
 
> I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18
> issues.
great!

> Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can keep
> work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).

No hard deadline but I am available this week and probably next week-end (May
6-7) . So I would like to give a strong push to finalize it and start thinking
QGIS 3.0 documentation. Even if there is some new ticket for 2.18, we can make
the changes when they come.

Harrissou sent an email last week and I have also some concern for the 3.0,
and I guess you have some ideas.

I will probably triggers a meeting (in june?) to discuss this topic. One
example of work we need to focus on is the "Add layer" refactoring which will
lead to a strong changes in the structure of the doc. So if we want to not
have any problem on doc contribution (like conflicts), we need to plan this.

Y.


> Thanks
>
> Alex Neto
>
> Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 14:40:
> > Hello doc contributors,
> >
> > Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the
> > QGIS
> > Documentation.
> >
> > I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be
> > merged and
> > backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.
> >
> > Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to focus
> > on
> > issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?
> >
> > A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the following:
> >
> > 1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes
> > needed "
> > 2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
> > 3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and keep
> > the
> > work going as soon as the PR is merged.
> >
> > Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python
> > cookbook. I
> > am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take care
> > of
> > it soon.
> >
> > We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and
> > #1579.
> > If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!
> >
> > Thanks all for your help for the documentation!
> >
> > Y._______________________________________________
> > Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such
> > as documentation, translation etc..
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

DelazJ
In reply to this post by Alexandre Neto
Hi,

2017-05-01 15:55 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
Hello Yves,

Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some work, but it was a family tagged weekend :-)

Indeed, we had a superYves this hackfest. I also had difficulties in following his rhythm. Nice work!!!
 
I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18 issues.

Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can keep work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).

Agreed, while it's a good thing to keep this level (or a bit slower :) ?) of production, there's no hard deadline for 2.18 and I can't ensure that I'll be available on demand (but still, will do my best)

Also note that some no milestoned issues can/should be fixed if we have time and energy before the release. They are not milestoned as 2.16or 2.18 either because they are infrastructure issues or they are there for a long time in many releases.
We should count them in remaining issues for a clean and total 2.18 release.

anyway, all this is promising for 3.x releases...

Thanks,
Harrissou
 
Thanks

Alex Neto

Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 14:40:
Hello doc contributors,

Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the QGIS
Documentation.

I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be merged and
backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.

Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to focus on
issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?

A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the following:

1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes needed "
2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and keep the
work going as soon as the PR is merged.

Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python cookbook. I
am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take care of
it soon.

We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and #1579.
If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!

Thanks all for your help for the documentation!

Y._______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team


_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Alexandre Neto

It would be great if we have some help from a developer to tackle the PyQGIS Cookbook issues. I will probably take too much time to make user I'm documenting it correctly...

I would leave big changes in documentation structure to 3.0 milestone. It might be the perfect time for "breaking" the documentation. There will be features documentation that will need to be revisited several times because of all the changes. During that time, it may be the perfect time for us to do a stand by in documenting new features and draw a plan for moving stuff around.

Thanks

Alex 

DelazJ <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 15:15:
Hi,

2017-05-01 15:55 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
Hello Yves,

Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some work, but it was a family tagged weekend :-)

Indeed, we had a superYves this hackfest. I also had difficulties in following his rhythm. Nice work!!!
 
I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18 issues.

Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can keep work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).

Agreed, while it's a good thing to keep this level (or a bit slower :) ?) of production, there's no hard deadline for 2.18 and I can't ensure that I'll be available on demand (but still, will do my best)

Also note that some no milestoned issues can/should be fixed if we have time and energy before the release. They are not milestoned as 2.16or 2.18 either because they are infrastructure issues or they are there for a long time in many releases.
We should count them in remaining issues for a clean and total 2.18 release.

anyway, all this is promising for 3.x releases...

Thanks,
Harrissou
 
Thanks

Alex Neto

Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 14:40:
Hello doc contributors,

Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the QGIS
Documentation.

I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be merged and
backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.

Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to focus on
issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?

A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the following:

1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes needed "
2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and keep the
work going as soon as the PR is merged.

Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python cookbook. I
am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take care of
it soon.

We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and #1579.
If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!

Thanks all for your help for the documentation!

Y._______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

DelazJ
Hi,

A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to improve QGIS Docs...
Some of the top topics imho could be :
- release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed to be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR release will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
- QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev team?
- Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year, because QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).

I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my repository (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-road-to-QGIS3 - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it as a basis and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc, maybe in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current status - could we put things on it?).
The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the way you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what we do need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly the points in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the prioritization step :(

regards,
Harrissou


2017-05-01 20:03 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:

It would be great if we have some help from a developer to tackle the PyQGIS Cookbook issues. I will probably take too much time to make user I'm documenting it correctly...

I would leave big changes in documentation structure to 3.0 milestone. It might be the perfect time for "breaking" the documentation. There will be features documentation that will need to be revisited several times because of all the changes. During that time, it may be the perfect time for us to do a stand by in documenting new features and draw a plan for moving stuff around.

Thanks

Alex 

DelazJ <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 15:15:
Hi,

2017-05-01 15:55 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
Hello Yves,

Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some work, but it was a family tagged weekend :-)

Indeed, we had a superYves this hackfest. I also had difficulties in following his rhythm. Nice work!!!
 
I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18 issues.

Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can keep work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).

Agreed, while it's a good thing to keep this level (or a bit slower :) ?) of production, there's no hard deadline for 2.18 and I can't ensure that I'll be available on demand (but still, will do my best)

Also note that some no milestoned issues can/should be fixed if we have time and energy before the release. They are not milestoned as 2.16or 2.18 either because they are infrastructure issues or they are there for a long time in many releases.
We should count them in remaining issues for a clean and total 2.18 release.

anyway, all this is promising for 3.x releases...

Thanks,
Harrissou
 
Thanks

Alex Neto

Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 14:40:
Hello doc contributors,

Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the QGIS
Documentation.

I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be merged and
backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.

Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to focus on
issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?

A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the following:

1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes needed "
2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and keep the
work going as soon as the PR is merged.

Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python cookbook. I
am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take care of
it soon.

We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and #1579.
If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!

Thanks all for your help for the documentation!

Y._______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com



_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Paolo Cavallini
Il 04/06/2017 20:36, DelazJ ha scritto:

> A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to
> improve QGIS Docs...
> Some of the top topics imho could be :
> - release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed
> to be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR
> release will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
> - QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how
> could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev
> team?
> - Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year,
> because QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).
>
> I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like
> issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my
> repository
> (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-road-to-QGIS3
> <https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-road-to-QGIS3>
> - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it as a basis
> and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc, maybe
> in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current status -
> could we put things on it?).
> The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the
> way you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what
> we do need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly
> the points in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the
> prioritization step :(

Hi Harrissou,
I agree, these are important issues.
Maybe we can talk about this during next PSC, this evening h 20? You are
welcome to join.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IT&q=qgis,arcgis
_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

DelazJ
Hi Paolo,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I could tonight. I'd be on the road at that time and if I arrive earlier and have connection, why not?
Otherwise, if Yves or Alexandre can't attend, at least Richard and you could bring the voice of the documentation to the PSC, based on my draft...

Thanks,
H.

2017-06-05 9:00 GMT+02:00 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>:
Il 04/06/2017 20:36, DelazJ ha scritto:

> A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to
> improve QGIS Docs...
> Some of the top topics imho could be :
> - release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed
> to be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR
> release will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
> - QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how
> could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev
> team?
> - Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year,
> because QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).
>
> I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like
> issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my
> repository
> (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-road-to-QGIS3
> <https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-road-to-QGIS3>
> - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it as a basis
> and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc, maybe
> in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current status -
> could we put things on it?).
> The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the
> way you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what
> we do need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly
> the points in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the
> prioritization step :(

Hi Harrissou,
I agree, these are important issues.
Maybe we can talk about this during next PSC, this evening h 20? You are
welcome to join.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IT&q=qgis,arcgis
_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team


_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Alexandre Neto
20h (probably 21h) for me it's impossible to participate. That is dinner+bath+ bed time for kids :)

Alexandre

DelazJ <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 5/06/2017 às 15:27:
Hi Paolo,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I could tonight. I'd be on the road at that time and if I arrive earlier and have connection, why not?
Otherwise, if Yves or Alexandre can't attend, at least Richard and you could bring the voice of the documentation to the PSC, based on my draft...

Thanks,
H.


2017-06-05 9:00 GMT+02:00 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>:
Il 04/06/2017 20:36, DelazJ ha scritto:

> A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to
> improve QGIS Docs...
> Some of the top topics imho could be :
> - release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed
> to be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR
> release will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
> - QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how
> could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev
> team?
> - Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year,
> because QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).
>
> I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like
> issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my
> repository
> (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-road-to-QGIS3
> <https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-road-to-QGIS3>
> - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it as a basis
> and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc, maybe
> in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current status -
> could we put things on it?).
> The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the
> way you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what
> we do need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly
> the points in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the
> prioritization step :(

Hi Harrissou,
I agree, these are important issues.
Maybe we can talk about this during next PSC, this evening h 20? You are
welcome to join.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IT&q=qgis,arcgis
_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Yves Jacolin
In reply to this post by DelazJ
Harrissou, Alexandre, and all :)

This wish list is great and interesting but really challenging. I have some
idea about highest priority but we need to find a good way for discussion. Here
my though (draft for now):

* [june] move all tickets on PyQGIS to 3.0 and close the ones that don't make
sense to keep (hard to know if we don't have knowledge on PyQGIS API)
* [july] finish the 2.18 documentation, we are almost done but we need some
time. I have, at least, 2-3 tickets to finalize or start for  the 2.18
* [june-august] create tickets (with special flags) for all you want to see in
QGIS 3.0, add it in QGIS3 milestone. We can probably use "project" [1] feature
on github and create  "new", "on discussion", "todo", "need review", "done"
steps.
* [july-september] vote/discuss on each tickets

We should improve planning (summer holidays will really slow down the work)
and define the process. Could you give your though (Alexandre)?

Regards,

Y.
[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/projects

On dimanche 4 juin 2017 20:36:14 CEST DelazJ wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to
> improve QGIS Docs...
> Some of the top topics imho could be :
> - release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed to
> be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR release
> will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
> - QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how
> could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev
> team?
> - Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year, because
> QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).
>
> I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like
> issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my
> repository (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-ro
> ad-to-QGIS3 - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it as a
> basis and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc,
> maybe in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current status
> - could we put things on it?).
> The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the way
> you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what we do
> need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly the points
> in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the prioritization step :(
>
> regards,
> Harrissou
>
> 2017-05-01 20:03 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
> > It would be great if we have some help from a developer to tackle the
> > PyQGIS Cookbook issues. I will probably take too much time to make user
> > I'm
> > documenting it correctly...
> >
> > I would leave big changes in documentation structure to 3.0 milestone. It
> > might be the perfect time for "breaking" the documentation. There will be
> > features documentation that will need to be revisited several times
> > because
> > of all the changes. During that time, it may be the perfect time for us to
> > do a stand by in documenting new features and draw a plan for moving stuff
> > around.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > DelazJ <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 15:15:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> 2017-05-01 15:55 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
> >>> Hello Yves,
> >>>
> >>> Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some
> >>> work, but it was a family tagged weekend :-)
> >>>
> >>> Indeed, we had a superYves this hackfest. I also had difficulties in
> >>
> >> following his rhythm. Nice work!!!
> >>
> >>> I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18
> >>> issues.
> >>>
> >>> Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can
> >>> keep work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).
> >>>
> >>> Agreed, while it's a good thing to keep this level (or a bit slower :)
> >>
> >> ?) of production, there's no hard deadline for 2.18 and I can't ensure
> >> that
> >> I'll be available on demand (but still, will do my best)
> >>
> >> Also note that some no milestoned issues can/should be fixed if we have
> >> time and energy before the release. They are not milestoned as 2.16or
> >> 2.18
> >> either because they are infrastructure issues or they are there for a
> >> long
> >> time in many releases.
> >> We should count them in remaining issues for a clean and total 2.18
> >> release.
> >>
> >> anyway, all this is promising for 3.x releases...
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Harrissou
> >>
> >>> Thanks
> >>>
> >>> Alex Neto
> >>>
> >>> Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às
> >>>
> >>> 14:40:
> >>>> Hello doc contributors,
> >>>>
> >>>> Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the
> >>>> QGIS
> >>>> Documentation.
> >>>>
> >>>> I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be
> >>>> merged and
> >>>> backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.
> >>>>
> >>>> Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to
> >>>> focus on
> >>>> issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?
> >>>>
> >>>> A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the
> >>>> following:
> >>>>
> >>>> 1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes
> >>>> needed "
> >>>> 2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
> >>>> 3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and
> >>>> keep the
> >>>> work going as soon as the PR is merged.
> >>>>
> >>>> Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python
> >>>> cookbook. I
> >>>> am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take
> >>>> care of
> >>>> it soon.
> >>>>
> >>>> We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and
> >>>> #1579.
> >>>> If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks all for your help for the documentation!
> >>>>
> >>>> Y._______________________________________________
> >>>> Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources
> >>>> such as documentation, translation etc..
> >>>> [hidden email]
> >>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Alexandre Neto
> >>> ---------------------
> >>> @AlexNetoGeo
> >>> http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com
> >>> http://gisunchained.wordpress.com
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such
> >>> as documentation, translation etc..
> >>> [hidden email]
> >>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > Alexandre Neto
> > ---------------------
> > @AlexNetoGeo
> > http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com
> > http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

DelazJ
Hi,

Le mardi 13 juin 2017, Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Harrissou, Alexandre, and all :)
>
> This wish list is great and interesting but really challenging. I have some
> idea about highest priority but we need to find a good way for discussion.

I've been asked by Paolo (the PSC?) to schedule a meeting to specifically discuss documentation needs and projects. While I did nothing yet (sorry Paolo for my silence - I am a bit busy these weeks), it sounds like a good approach to have these issues discussed in an efficient way. Now, questions: when? how? expected duration? Who is interested? Any suggestions of platform (honestly, a chat room could be easier to reach for me than a vocal call (not at work hours) because it has less constraints for me and with my accent in English I can't guarantee you understand me and I'm neither sure that my ears are enough used to English (accents) :( )?

> Here
> my though (draft for now):
>
> * [june] move all tickets on PyQGIS to 3.0 and close the ones that don't make
> sense to keep (hard to know if we don't have knowledge on PyQGIS API)

I'd rather let them with their original milestone. I think we all agree that Documentation of pyqgis won't/can't be fixed in 2.18 but is a must-have in 3.x doc. I wonder if keeping initial milestone wouldn't help the Cookbook writers quickly identify obsolete issue reports when time comes (thing I am not able to do). I remember we had two interesting grant proposals to fix Cookbook for QGIS3.

> * [july] finish the 2.18 documentation, we are almost done but we need some
> time. I have, at least, 2-3 tickets to finalize or start for  the 2.18

And there are some pull requests that need review, particularly https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1938 which imho could help fix many other issues.
Btw did we set a deadline for 2.18 release?

> * [june-august] create tickets (with special flags) for all you want to see in
> QGIS 3.0, add it in QGIS3 milestone. We can probably use "project" [1] feature
> on github and create  "new", "on discussion", "todo", "need review", "done"
> steps.

Do we release a 3.0 doc?
Tickets are already targeted, including 3.0 (milestone) ones. I might misunderstand how the project feature works but we do use a *blocker* label to identify what needs to be filled before release. Do you think we need another organization on this?

Anyway, please feel free to complete the wiki I began with your inputs so that we have a single place for subjects to discuss...

Thanks,
Harrissou

> * [july-september] vote/discuss on each tickets
>
> We should improve planning (summer holidays will really slow down the work)
> and define the process. Could you give your though (Alexandre)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.
> [1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/projects
>
> On dimanche 4 juin 2017 20:36:14 CEST DelazJ wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to
>> improve QGIS Docs...
>> Some of the top topics imho could be :
>> - release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed to
>> be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR release
>> will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
>> - QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how
>> could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev
>> team?
>> - Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year, because
>> QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).
>>
>> I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like
>> issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my
>> repository (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-ro
>> ad-to-QGIS3 - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it as a
>> basis and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc,
>> maybe in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current status
>> - could we put things on it?).
>> The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the way
>> you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what we do
>> need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly the points
>> in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the prioritization step :(
>>
>> regards,
>> Harrissou
>>
>> 2017-05-01 20:03 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
>> > It would be great if we have some help from a developer to tackle the
>> > PyQGIS Cookbook issues. I will probably take too much time to make user
>> > I'm
>> > documenting it correctly...
>> >
>> > I would leave big changes in documentation structure to 3.0 milestone. It
>> > might be the perfect time for "breaking" the documentation. There will be
>> > features documentation that will need to be revisited several times
>> > because
>> > of all the changes. During that time, it may be the perfect time for us to
>> > do a stand by in documenting new features and draw a plan for moving stuff
>> > around.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >
>> > DelazJ <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 15:15:
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> 2017-05-01 15:55 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
>> >>> Hello Yves,
>> >>>
>> >>> Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some
>> >>> work, but it was a family tagged weekend :-)
>> >>>
>> >>> Indeed, we had a superYves this hackfest. I also had difficulties in
>> >>
>> >> following his rhythm. Nice work!!!
>> >>
>> >>> I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18
>> >>> issues.
>> >>>
>> >>> Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can
>> >>> keep work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).
>> >>>
>> >>> Agreed, while it's a good thing to keep this level (or a bit slower :)
>> >>
>> >> ?) of production, there's no hard deadline for 2.18 and I can't ensure
>> >> that
>> >> I'll be available on demand (but still, will do my best)
>> >>
>> >> Also note that some no milestoned issues can/should be fixed if we have
>> >> time and energy before the release. They are not milestoned as 2.16or
>> >> 2.18
>> >> either because they are infrastructure issues or they are there for a
>> >> long
>> >> time in many releases.
>> >> We should count them in remaining issues for a clean and total 2.18
>> >> release.
>> >>
>> >> anyway, all this is promising for 3.x releases...
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> Harrissou
>> >>
>> >>> Thanks
>> >>>
>> >>> Alex Neto
>> >>>
>> >>> Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às
>> >>>
>> >>> 14:40:
>> >>>> Hello doc contributors,
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the
>> >>>> QGIS
>> >>>> Documentation.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be
>> >>>> merged and
>> >>>> backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to
>> >>>> focus on
>> >>>> issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?
>> >>>>
>> >>>> A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the
>> >>>> following:
>> >>>>
>> >>>> 1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes
>> >>>> needed "
>> >>>> 2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
>> >>>> 3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and
>> >>>> keep the
>> >>>> work going as soon as the PR is merged.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python
>> >>>> cookbook. I
>> >>>> am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take
>> >>>> care of
>> >>>> it soon.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and
>> >>>> #1579.
>> >>>> If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Thanks all for your help for the documentation!
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Y._______________________________________________
>> >>>> Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources
>> >>>> such as documentation, translation etc..
>> >>>> [hidden email]
>> >>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
>> >>>
>> >>> --
>> >>> Alexandre Neto
>> >>> ---------------------
>> >>> @AlexNetoGeo
>> >>> http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com
>> >>> http://gisunchained.wordpress.com
>> >>>
>> >>> _______________________________________________
>> >>> Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such
>> >>> as documentation, translation etc..
>> >>> [hidden email]
>> >>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >
>> > Alexandre Neto
>> > ---------------------
>> > @AlexNetoGeo
>> > http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com
>> > http://gisunchained.wordpress.com
>
>
_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Alexandre Neto
Harrissou et al.,

Sorry for the silence, but this threads are so big that I never find time to read and answer properly.

Harrissou, thanks for gathering all that ideas and TODOs. Most of them are in fact very important for 3.x (I dare to say 3.2 as I don't think we should do an official doc release for 3.0).

Our biggest problem is (still) not having enough human power. We are barely able to keep the User's Manual updated on time. Training manual probably is few versions behind and PyQGIS cook book I have no idea. So, IMHO, we should focus our efforts on what's more important. And for me it's the User manual. Which I consider to be mandatory to deliver. The other two are nice to have. For the cook book we need developers to take care of it, and the training, we need trainers (people o rely on it to give training) to take care of it.

I say we should not ambiss to change 2.18 structure. Nor to make it perfect. I would vote for setting a deadline and release the docs, even if something was not completed. July would be ok for me.

From that point on, we can focus on 3.x users manual and all the improvements we would like to do. Planning the docs Restructuring would be my top priority as we might not be  able to do it again soon​ (to not break help links).

My second priority would go to update the sphinx / bootstrap etc versions. 

Assuming that all tasks make sense, before even go to the PSC, I would add a column with the needed (human) resources for each task. That will probably determine what is going forward and what is not.

I would not rush in converting the tasks into github issues for now. a wiki or Google Doc may be more practical as we can see the all picture easily. And we can elaborate a final document to send to others.

I also would prefer not to push unfinished stuff to the 3.0 milestone.

I will try to complement the list of task next week.

Cheers,

Alexandre.

A ter, 13/06/2017, 16:29, DelazJ <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi,

Le mardi 13 juin 2017, Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Harrissou, Alexandre, and all :)
>
> This wish list is great and interesting but really challenging. I have some
> idea about highest priority but we need to find a good way for discussion.

I've been asked by Paolo (the PSC?) to schedule a meeting to specifically discuss documentation needs and projects. While I did nothing yet (sorry Paolo for my silence - I am a bit busy these weeks), it sounds like a good approach to have these issues discussed in an efficient way. Now, questions: when? how? expected duration? Who is interested? Any suggestions of platform (honestly, a chat room could be easier to reach for me than a vocal call (not at work hours) because it has less constraints for me and with my accent in English I can't guarantee you understand me and I'm neither sure that my ears are enough used to English (accents) :( )?

> Here
> my though (draft for now):
>
> * [june] move all tickets on PyQGIS to 3.0 and close the ones that don't make
> sense to keep (hard to know if we don't have knowledge on PyQGIS API)

I'd rather let them with their original milestone. I think we all agree that Documentation of pyqgis won't/can't be fixed in 2.18 but is a must-have in 3.x doc. I wonder if keeping initial milestone wouldn't help the Cookbook writers quickly identify obsolete issue reports when time comes (thing I am not able to do). I remember we had two interesting grant proposals to fix Cookbook for QGIS3.

> * [july] finish the 2.18 documentation, we are almost done but we need some
> time. I have, at least, 2-3 tickets to finalize or start for  the 2.18

And there are some pull requests that need review, particularly https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1938 which imho could help fix many other issues.
Btw did we set a deadline for 2.18 release?

> * [june-august] create tickets (with special flags) for all you want to see in
> QGIS 3.0, add it in QGIS3 milestone. We can probably use "project" [1] feature
> on github and create  "new", "on discussion", "todo", "need review", "done"
> steps.

Do we release a 3.0 doc?
Tickets are already targeted, including 3.0 (milestone) ones. I might misunderstand how the project feature works but we do use a *blocker* label to identify what needs to be filled before release. Do you think we need another organization on this?

Anyway, please feel free to complete the wiki I began with your inputs so that we have a single place for subjects to discuss...

Thanks,
Harrissou

> * [july-september] vote/discuss on each tickets
>
> We should improve planning (summer holidays will really slow down the work)
> and define the process. Could you give your though (Alexandre)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.
> [1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/projects
>
> On dimanche 4 juin 2017 20:36:14 CEST DelazJ wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to
>> improve QGIS Docs...
>> Some of the top topics imho could be :
>> - release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed to
>> be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR release
>> will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
>> - QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how
>> could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev
>> team?
>> - Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year, because
>> QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).
>>
>> I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like
>> issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my
>> repository (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-ro
>> ad-to-QGIS3 - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it as a
>> basis and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc,
>> maybe in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current status
>> - could we put things on it?).
>> The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the way
>> you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what we do
>> need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly the points
>> in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the prioritization step :(
>>
>> regards,
>> Harrissou
>>
>> 2017-05-01 20:03 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
>> > It would be great if we have some help from a developer to tackle the
>> > PyQGIS Cookbook issues. I will probably take too much time to make user
>> > I'm
>> > documenting it correctly...
>> >
>> > I would leave big changes in documentation structure to 3.0 milestone. It
>> > might be the perfect time for "breaking" the documentation. There will be
>> > features documentation that will need to be revisited several times
>> > because
>> > of all the changes. During that time, it may be the perfect time for us to
>> > do a stand by in documenting new features and draw a plan for moving stuff
>> > around.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >
>> > DelazJ <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às 15:15:
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> 2017-05-01 15:55 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]>:
>> >>> Hello Yves,
>> >>>
>> >>> Thanks for all your work this weekend. I tried to keep up and do some
>> >>> work, but it was a family tagged weekend :-)
>> >>>
>> >>> Indeed, we had a superYves this hackfest. I also had difficulties in
>> >>
>> >> following his rhythm. Nice work!!!
>> >>
>> >>> I will try to put some more work this week into solving 2.16 and 2.18
>> >>> issues.
>> >>>
>> >>> Do we have a hard deadline for 2.18 documentation? I would say we can
>> >>> keep work on it until 2.18 becomes LTR (June?).
>> >>>
>> >>> Agreed, while it's a good thing to keep this level (or a bit slower :)
>> >>
>> >> ?) of production, there's no hard deadline for 2.18 and I can't ensure
>> >> that
>> >> I'll be available on demand (but still, will do my best)
>> >>
>> >> Also note that some no milestoned issues can/should be fixed if we have
>> >> time and energy before the release. They are not milestoned as 2.16or
>> >> 2.18
>> >> either because they are infrastructure issues or they are there for a
>> >> long
>> >> time in many releases.
>> >> We should count them in remaining issues for a clean and total 2.18
>> >> release.
>> >>
>> >> anyway, all this is promising for 3.x releases...
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> Harrissou
>> >>
>> >>> Thanks
>> >>>
>> >>> Alex Neto
>> >>>
>> >>> Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda, 1/05/2017 às
>> >>>
>> >>> 14:40:
>> >>>> Hello doc contributors,
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Finishing the hackfest we are close to release the 2.18 release of the
>> >>>> QGIS
>> >>>> Documentation.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> I planned to work on this all the week to finish my PR waiting to be
>> >>>> merged and
>> >>>> backporting to master/release_2_18, reviewing PR.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Are people available to help reviewing and merging PR? Are you ok to
>> >>>> focus on
>> >>>> issue in 2.16 and 2.18 milestone for this week?
>> >>>>
>> >>>> A side note when reviewing, could you use github tools with the
>> >>>> following:
>> >>>>
>> >>>> 1. if you add one comment (even really smal) note the Pr as "changes
>> >>>> needed "
>> >>>> 2. if the PR is ok (not any comment) mark it as "Approved"
>> >>>> 3. if you start a review, assign the ticket to you as a reviewer and
>> >>>> keep the
>> >>>> work going as soon as the PR is merged.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Finally, we have 10 open issues in 2.16 and 2 in 2.18 about python
>> >>>> cookbook. I
>> >>>> am in favor to migrate them to milestone 3.0 except someone can take
>> >>>> care of
>> >>>> it soon.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> We had also 3 ticket in 2.18 that I can take care of: #1353, #1835 and
>> >>>> #1579.
>> >>>> If you want to help working on this ticket, fell free to ask!
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Thanks all for your help for the documentation!
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Y._______________________________________________
>> >>>> Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources
>> >>>> such as documentation, translation etc..
>> >>>> [hidden email]
>> >>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
>> >>>
>> >>> --
>> >>> Alexandre Neto
>> >>> ---------------------
>> >>> @AlexNetoGeo
>> >>> http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com
>> >>> http://gisunchained.wordpress.com
>> >>>
>> >>> _______________________________________________
>> >>> Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such
>> >>> as documentation, translation etc..
>> >>> [hidden email]
>> >>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >
>> > Alexandre Neto
>> > ---------------------
>> > @AlexNetoGeo
>> > http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com
>> > http://gisunchained.wordpress.com
>
>
--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Yves Jacolin
Alexandre,

On mercredi 14 juin 2017 23:05:49 CEST Alexandre Neto wrote:

> Harrissou et al.,
>
> Sorry for the silence, but this threads are so big that I never find time
> to read and answer properly.
>
> Harrissou, thanks for gathering all that ideas and TODOs. Most of them are
> in fact very important for 3.x (I dare to say 3.2 as I don't think we
> should do an official doc release for 3.0).
>
> Our biggest problem is (still) not having enough human power. We are barely
> able to keep the User's Manual updated on time. Training manual probably is
> few versions behind and PyQGIS cook book I have no idea. So, IMHO, we
> should focus our efforts on what's more important. And for me it's the User
> manual. Which I consider to be mandatory to deliver. The other two are nice
> to have. For the cook book we need developers to take care of it, and the
> training, we need trainers (people o rely on it to give training) to take
> care of it.
>
> I say we should not ambiss to change 2.18 structure. Nor to make it
> perfect. I would vote for setting a deadline and release the docs, even if
> something was not completed. July would be ok for me.
>
> From that point on, we can focus on 3.x users manual and all the
> improvements we would like to do. Planning the docs Restructuring would be
> my top priority as we might not be  able to do it again soon​ (to not break
> help links).
>
> My second priority would go to update the sphinx / bootstrap etc versions.
>
> Assuming that all tasks make sense, before even go to the PSC, I would add
> a column with the needed (human) resources for each task. That will
> probably determine what is going forward and what is not.
>
> I would not rush in converting the tasks into github issues for now. a wiki
> or Google Doc may be more practical as we can see the all picture easily.
> And we can elaborate a final document to send to others.
I agree with all above except this part: I am not sure that a wiki or Google
doc will give you a nice picture of task to do. We can filter issue easily in
"project" and/or milestone.

Y.


_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Yves Jacolin
In reply to this post by DelazJ
On mardi 13 juin 2017 17:29:40 CEST DelazJ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le mardi 13 juin 2017, Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > Harrissou, Alexandre, and all :)
> >
> > This wish list is great and interesting but really challenging. I have
>
> some
>
> > idea about highest priority but we need to find a good way for discussion.
>
> I've been asked by Paolo (the PSC?) to schedule a meeting to specifically
> discuss documentation needs and projects. While I did nothing yet (sorry
> Paolo for my silence - I am a bit busy these weeks), it sounds like a good
> approach to have these issues discussed in an efficient way. Now,
> questions: when? how? expected duration? Who is interested? Any suggestions
> of platform (honestly, a chat room could be easier to reach for me than a
> vocal call (not at work hours) because it has less constraints for me and
> with my accent in English I can't guarantee you understand me and I'm
> neither sure that my ears are enough used to English (accents) :( )?
I let you choose the media you want to use (IRC, hangout, whatever).

Here are my disponibility:
* this week: nothing
* W25 (next week): monday evening, week-end
* W26: monday, wednesday, thursday, week-end
* W27: every evening for now
* W28 to 30: nothing
* W31 to 32: holidays, so I can be available
* W32: nothing (Camptocamp moves to a new building)

> > Here
> > my though (draft for now):
> >
> > [..]
>
> Do we release a 3.0 doc?
No, but by QGIS 3.0 I meant QGIS 3 series.

> Tickets are already targeted, including 3.0 (milestone) ones. I might
> misunderstand how the project feature works but we do use a *blocker* label
> to identify what needs to be filled before release. Do you think we need
> another organization on this?

Theses labels have not the same meaning. "Project"  tools help you to have a
clear and fast view on tickets: todo, current, done. This is link to agile
method.

We can discuss this on doc meeting.

Y.


_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

DelazJ
Hi all,

For deadline, I propose to release it as soon as 2.18 is officially LTR (this is what we did (or tried?) for 2.14). The LTR status was supposed to be in may according to online roadmap but I didn't see any official message so I guess it has been postponed to june (ie, 23/06) so a week later, 1st of July (to keep Alexandre July proposal :) ) might be good. Would that planning be fine for you? Richard?
Btw, last PSC meeting minutes are missing at https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki#psc-meeting-minutes. PSC, could that be fixed, please? Thanks.

Alexandre, I agree with most of your points:
* keep on prioritizing User manual update despite(/because of?) the desperate and demotivating lack of contributors (we don't only need writers, we also need readers, reviewers to help fix typo, give their opinions on pull requests or issues...);
* let the obsolete PyQGIS Cookbook to devs (or new writers, if ever) and Training manual to trainers;
* prioritize the doc infrastructure update. Richard, any news on this?

About the 2.18 doc release (we still have 2 weeks before deadline, if agreed), I'd however like to have the pending PRs merged. I have some I should complete and others that need feedbacks. This includes the restructuring PR which imho could easily allow to later backport fixes for some remaining 2.18 issues. Also, while restructuring those chapters is not a high priority (for 2.18), I consider it like a good step to ensure a better user experience: a use case I have in mind is eg, to configure the 2.18 localized doc as the default doc for QGIS 3 so one could access localized documentation from the application instead of testing (English only) doc. And due to the current implementation using full hyperlink, sharing the same structure than testing doc is needed to guarantee it succeeds.

Regards,
Harrissou

2017-06-15 11:30 GMT+02:00 Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]>:

>
> Alexandre,
>
> On mercredi 14 juin 2017 23:05:49 CEST Alexandre Neto wrote:
> > Harrissou et al.,
> >
> > Sorry for the silence, but this threads are so big that I never find time
> > to read and answer properly.
> >
> > Harrissou, thanks for gathering all that ideas and TODOs. Most of them are
> > in fact very important for 3.x (I dare to say 3.2 as I don't think we
> > should do an official doc release for 3.0).
> >
> > Our biggest problem is (still) not having enough human power. We are barely
> > able to keep the User's Manual updated on time. Training manual probably is
> > few versions behind and PyQGIS cook book I have no idea. So, IMHO, we
> > should focus our efforts on what's more important. And for me it's the User
> > manual. Which I consider to be mandatory to deliver. The other two are nice
> > to have. For the cook book we need developers to take care of it, and the
> > training, we need trainers (people o rely on it to give training) to take
> > care of it.
> >
> > I say we should not ambiss to change 2.18 structure. Nor to make it
> > perfect. I would vote for setting a deadline and release the docs, even if
> > something was not completed. July would be ok for me.
> >
> > From that point on, we can focus on 3.x users manual and all the
> > improvements we would like to do. Planning the docs Restructuring would be
> > my top priority as we might not be  able to do it again soon (to not break
> > help links).
> >
> > My second priority would go to update the sphinx / bootstrap etc versions.
> >
> > Assuming that all tasks make sense, before even go to the PSC, I would add
> > a column with the needed (human) resources for each task. That will
> > probably determine what is going forward and what is not.
> >
> > I would not rush in converting the tasks into github issues for now. a wiki
> > or Google Doc may be more practical as we can see the all picture easily.
> > And we can elaborate a final document to send to others.
>
> I agree with all above except this part: I am not sure that a wiki or Google
> doc will give you a nice picture of task to do. We can filter issue easily in
> "project" and/or milestone.
>
> Y.
>



_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi DelazJ,

On Thu, 15. Jun 2017 at 21:17:13 +0200, DelazJ wrote:
> For deadline, I propose to release it as soon as 2.18 is officially LTR (this
> is what we did (or tried?) for 2.14). The LTR status was supposed to be in
> may according to online roadmap but I didn't see any official message so I
> guess it has been postponed to june

It was tagged.  That's as official as it gets.


Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

signature.asc (844 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Yves Jacolin
In reply to this post by DelazJ
Harrissou,

I agreed with 1st of july for release. I will work on my last pending issue
and work on another one next week.

I will finish the review of your PR next week.

Y.
On jeudi 15 juin 2017 21:17:13 CEST DelazJ wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For deadline, I propose to release it as soon as 2.18 is officially LTR
> (this is what we did (or tried?) for 2.14). The LTR status was supposed to
> be in may according to online roadmap but I didn't see any official message
> so I guess it has been postponed to june (ie, 23/06) so a week later, 1st
> of July (to keep Alexandre July proposal :) ) might be good. Would that
> planning be fine for you? Richard?
> Btw, last PSC meeting minutes are missing at
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki#psc-meeting-minutes. PSC, could that be
> fixed, please? Thanks.
>
> Alexandre, I agree with most of your points:
> * keep on prioritizing User manual update despite(/because of?) the
> desperate and demotivating lack of contributors (we don't only need
> writers, we also need readers, reviewers to help fix typo, give their
> opinions on pull requests or issues...);
> * let the obsolete PyQGIS Cookbook to devs (or new writers, if ever) and
> Training manual to trainers;
> * prioritize the doc infrastructure update. Richard, any news on this?
>
> About the 2.18 doc release (we still have 2 weeks before deadline, if
> agreed), I'd however like to have the pending PRs merged. I have some I
> should complete and others that need feedbacks. This includes the
> restructuring PR which imho could easily allow to later backport fixes for
> some remaining 2.18 issues. Also, while restructuring those chapters is not
> a high priority (for 2.18), I consider it like a good step to ensure a
> better user experience: a use case I have in mind is eg, to configure the
> 2.18 localized doc as the default doc for QGIS 3 so one could access
> localized documentation from the application instead of testing (English
> only) doc. And due to the current implementation using full hyperlink,
> sharing the same structure than testing doc is needed to guarantee it
> succeeds.
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
> 2017-06-15 11:30 GMT+02:00 Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]>:
> > Alexandre,
> >
> > On mercredi 14 juin 2017 23:05:49 CEST Alexandre Neto wrote:
> > > Harrissou et al.,
> > >
> > > Sorry for the silence, but this threads are so big that I never find
>
> time
>
> > > to read and answer properly.
> > >
> > > Harrissou, thanks for gathering all that ideas and TODOs. Most of them
>
> are
>
> > > in fact very important for 3.x (I dare to say 3.2 as I don't think we
> > > should do an official doc release for 3.0).
> > >
> > > Our biggest problem is (still) not having enough human power. We are
>
> barely
>
> > > able to keep the User's Manual updated on time. Training manual
>
> probably is
>
> > > few versions behind and PyQGIS cook book I have no idea. So, IMHO, we
> > > should focus our efforts on what's more important. And for me it's the
>
> User
>
> > > manual. Which I consider to be mandatory to deliver. The other two are
>
> nice
>
> > > to have. For the cook book we need developers to take care of it, and
>
> the
>
> > > training, we need trainers (people o rely on it to give training) to
>
> take
>
> > > care of it.
> > >
> > > I say we should not ambiss to change 2.18 structure. Nor to make it
> > > perfect. I would vote for setting a deadline and release the docs, even
>
> if
>
> > > something was not completed. July would be ok for me.
> > >
> > > From that point on, we can focus on 3.x users manual and all the
> > > improvements we would like to do. Planning the docs Restructuring would
>
> be
>
> > > my top priority as we might not be  able to do it again soon (to not
>
> break
>
> > > help links).
> > >
> > > My second priority would go to update the sphinx / bootstrap etc
>
> versions.
>
> > > Assuming that all tasks make sense, before even go to the PSC, I would
>
> add
>
> > > a column with the needed (human) resources for each task. That will
> > > probably determine what is going forward and what is not.
> > >
> > > I would not rush in converting the tasks into github issues for now. a
>
> wiki
>
> > > or Google Doc may be more practical as we can see the all picture
>
> easily.
>
> > > And we can elaborate a final document to send to others.
> >
> > I agree with all above except this part: I am not sure that a wiki or
>
> Google
>
> > doc will give you a nice picture of task to do. We can filter issue
>
> easily in
>
> > "project" and/or milestone.
> >
> > Y.

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

Alexandre Neto
I also have work to do on the screenshots. I am currently updating processing and there are many figures that must be replaced, and maybe some text.

I am going to take care of it before the deadline.
A sex, 16/06/2017, 09:52, Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Harrissou,

I agreed with 1st of july for release. I will work on my last pending issue
and work on another one next week.

I will finish the review of your PR next week.

Y.
On jeudi 15 juin 2017 21:17:13 CEST DelazJ wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For deadline, I propose to release it as soon as 2.18 is officially LTR
> (this is what we did (or tried?) for 2.14). The LTR status was supposed to
> be in may according to online roadmap but I didn't see any official message
> so I guess it has been postponed to june (ie, 23/06) so a week later, 1st
> of July (to keep Alexandre July proposal :) ) might be good. Would that
> planning be fine for you? Richard?
> Btw, last PSC meeting minutes are missing at
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki#psc-meeting-minutes. PSC, could that be
> fixed, please? Thanks.
>
> Alexandre, I agree with most of your points:
> * keep on prioritizing User manual update despite(/because of?) the
> desperate and demotivating lack of contributors (we don't only need
> writers, we also need readers, reviewers to help fix typo, give their
> opinions on pull requests or issues...);
> * let the obsolete PyQGIS Cookbook to devs (or new writers, if ever) and
> Training manual to trainers;
> * prioritize the doc infrastructure update. Richard, any news on this?
>
> About the 2.18 doc release (we still have 2 weeks before deadline, if
> agreed), I'd however like to have the pending PRs merged. I have some I
> should complete and others that need feedbacks. This includes the
> restructuring PR which imho could easily allow to later backport fixes for
> some remaining 2.18 issues. Also, while restructuring those chapters is not
> a high priority (for 2.18), I consider it like a good step to ensure a
> better user experience: a use case I have in mind is eg, to configure the
> 2.18 localized doc as the default doc for QGIS 3 so one could access
> localized documentation from the application instead of testing (English
> only) doc. And due to the current implementation using full hyperlink,
> sharing the same structure than testing doc is needed to guarantee it
> succeeds.
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
> 2017-06-15 11:30 GMT+02:00 Yves Jacolin <[hidden email]>:
> > Alexandre,
> >
> > On mercredi 14 juin 2017 23:05:49 CEST Alexandre Neto wrote:
> > > Harrissou et al.,
> > >
> > > Sorry for the silence, but this threads are so big that I never find
>
> time
>
> > > to read and answer properly.
> > >
> > > Harrissou, thanks for gathering all that ideas and TODOs. Most of them
>
> are
>
> > > in fact very important for 3.x (I dare to say 3.2 as I don't think we
> > > should do an official doc release for 3.0).
> > >
> > > Our biggest problem is (still) not having enough human power. We are
>
> barely
>
> > > able to keep the User's Manual updated on time. Training manual
>
> probably is
>
> > > few versions behind and PyQGIS cook book I have no idea. So, IMHO, we
> > > should focus our efforts on what's more important. And for me it's the
>
> User
>
> > > manual. Which I consider to be mandatory to deliver. The other two are
>
> nice
>
> > > to have. For the cook book we need developers to take care of it, and
>
> the
>
> > > training, we need trainers (people o rely on it to give training) to
>
> take
>
> > > care of it.
> > >
> > > I say we should not ambiss to change 2.18 structure. Nor to make it
> > > perfect. I would vote for setting a deadline and release the docs, even
>
> if
>
> > > something was not completed. July would be ok for me.
> > >
> > > From that point on, we can focus on 3.x users manual and all the
> > > improvements we would like to do. Planning the docs Restructuring would
>
> be
>
> > > my top priority as we might not be  able to do it again soon (to not
>
> break
>
> > > help links).
> > >
> > > My second priority would go to update the sphinx / bootstrap etc
>
> versions.
>
> > > Assuming that all tasks make sense, before even go to the PSC, I would
>
> add
>
> > > a column with the needed (human) resources for each task. That will
> > > probably determine what is going forward and what is not.
> > >
> > > I would not rush in converting the tasks into github issues for now. a
>
> wiki
>
> > > or Google Doc may be more practical as we can see the all picture
>
> easily.
>
> > > And we can elaborate a final document to send to others.
> >
> > I agree with all above except this part: I am not sure that a wiki or
>
> Google
>
> > doc will give you a nice picture of task to do. We can filter issue
>
> easily in
>
> > "project" and/or milestone.
> >
> > Y.

--
Alexandre Neto
---------------------
@AlexNetoGeo
http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Qgis-community-team mailing list for organizing community resources such as documentation, translation etc..
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-community-team
Loading...