QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

12

QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi team,

Well, this is a bit embarrassing. I've just started working with GIS data in Blender (BlenderGIS is a great add-on if anyone doesn't know it already). Anyway, I was trying to add a reference basemap to a Blender project with polygons in it and I got an error message telling me to install GDAL. I'm a total novice at both Blender and QGIS, so I read around and people recommending adding the GDAL PPA in QGIS directly. I did so following the Linux guidelines here:

On doing so it uninstalled QGIS and won't let me reinstall it. Can I undo this action?
I get the following error message about broken dependencies:

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 qgis : Depends: gdal-abi-2-2-3
        Depends: libqgis-analysis3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-app3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-core3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-gui3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: python3-qgis (= 1:3.10.2+28bionic) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: qgis-providers (= 1:3.10.2+28bionic) but it is not going to be installed
        Recommends: qgis-plugin-grass but it is not going to be installed

I don't want to run 'sudo apt-get autoremove' (I run Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) because it would remove over a gigabyte of dependencies, and I'll no doubt end up with tons of problems.

Can I solve this manually without autoremove or formatting so I can reinstall QGIS and get working?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks team,
Jimi.

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

Andre Joost
Hi Jimi,

Am 18.02.20 um 12:43 schrieb J. M:

> Hi team,
>
> Well, this is a bit embarrassing. I've just started working with GIS data
> in Blender (BlenderGIS is a great add-on if anyone doesn't know it
> already). Anyway, I was trying to add a reference basemap to a Blender
> project with polygons in it and I got an error message telling me to
> install GDAL. I'm a total novice at both Blender and QGIS, so I read
> around and people recommending adding the GDAL PPA in QGIS directly. I did
> so following the Linux guidelines here:
> https://developers.planet.com/planetschool/gdal-qgis-installation-setup/

This is outdated by a few years. The current setup for QGIS can be found
here:

<https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu>

You have two choices: With or without the ubuntugis ppa.
The ppa holds GDAL 3.0.2 along with all dependencies.
Without the PPA, you can get GDAL 2.2.3

QGIS supports both channels, using a different folder to download from.

> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>   qgis : Depends: gdal-abi-2-2-3

This seems to be the QGIS version without ubuntugis support.

Try
deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

and it should work.

After re-installing, you should be able to install gdal-bin too.

If you want (or must) to stick to GDAL 2, remove all ubuntugis
references, and take QGIS from the ubuntu repo.You might need to remove
GDAL 3 if you already installed it.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi again Andre,

I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same error messages about broken packages.
When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
Try
deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

and it should work.

After re-installing, you should be able to install gdal-bin too.

If you want (or must) to stick to GDAL 2, remove all ubuntugis
references
, and take QGIS from the ubuntu repo.You might need to remove
GDAL 3 if you already installed it.

As for removing all ubuntugis references, I have no idea where to start with that. I opened Synaptic package manager and searched for QGIS, but there are so many dependencies and related files I have no idea what to remove before attempting to reinstall it. I still don't understand how attempting to install the GDAL PPA caused the QGIS to get uninstalled (I certainly wouldn't have done it if I'd thought it was going to remove the software). Are there any other operations like this I should be aware of, updates or similar which can cause QGIS to just disappear? Ideally I'd like to remove all the repositories and dependencies which aren't strictly necessary for the current version to run. Is there a way to check the dependencies needed in the terminal or somewhere and filter out all the others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Jimi.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM J. M <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andre!

Many thanks once again for your help!

I'll give it a go tonight and let you know. When you say remove references, do you mean via Synaptic or how? Manually?

Thanks,
Jimi.

On 18 Feb 2020 13:55, "Andre Joost" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jimi,

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi again Andre,

Thanks for that, I more or less get what you mean. The problem is that when I ran autoremove it came back with almost a gig of dependencies it wanted to remove, so I cancelled it! QGIS wasn't the last program I installed so I have no idea how to purge only the dependencies directly related to the previous version of it I was running. If I run autoremove and it damages other applications or makes my system unusable then I won't be able to fix it (I'm only a user, I've got no background in programming). I read around and people warned strongly against doing this unless you're sure what you want to remove. How can I be sure I only remove the right dependencies? Does QGIS have a list or something I can use as a guide?

If anyone could explain how to use Synaptic package manager then I'd be really grateful! It must have the most unintuitive interface of any piece of software I've ever tried to use..

I edited the source file last time I installed it, so that part is done. Incidentally, I don't see the 'other Software' tab in the Ubuntu Software Center, so I just edited it manually. Any idea what that package is called? I'm happy enough using the terminal if I know (roughly) what I'm doing!

Thanks a lot team,
Jimi.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 8:18 PM Andre Joost <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

Ismail Sunni
Hi Jimi,

I have a similar problem. I fix it by reinstalling gdal (libgdal20). I can install QGIS again after that. But, I am not an expert with this package manager thing, so perhaps it can work for you also, or perhaps not :)

While trying to fix my problem, I found this https://askubuntu.com/questions/140246/how-do-i-resolve-unmet-dependencies-after-adding-a-ppa which probably useful for you.

Best regards

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi Ismail!

Many thanks for your advice; I'll check it out. I haven't actually had a chance to sit down and try to purge QGIS and start again. Andre was trying to help me but I wasn't sure where to start so I haven't tried since I last inquired about the process!

Thanks a lot,
Jimi.

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

Alex Mandel-2
Keep in mind when using PPAs you can easily remove them with ppa-purge
(see #4 on
https://itsfoss.com/how-to-remove-or-delete-ppas-quick-tip/
)

You might need to drop your PPAs, revert back to the default versions of
QGIS, then add back in the repos you need.

Thanks,
Alex

On 2/24/20 9:58 AM, J. M wrote:

> Hi Ismail!
>
> Many thanks for your advice; I'll check it out. I haven't actually had a
> chance to sit down and try to purge QGIS and start again. Andre was trying
> to help me but I wasn't sure where to start so I haven't tried since I last
> inquired about the process!
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Jimi.
>
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 8:59 AM Ismail Sunni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jimi,
>>
>> I have a similar problem. I fix it by reinstalling gdal (libgdal20). I can
>> install QGIS again after that. But, I am not an expert with this package
>> manager thing, so perhaps it can work for you also, or perhaps not :)
>>
>> While trying to fix my problem, I found this
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/140246/how-do-i-resolve-unmet-dependencies-after-adding-a-ppa which
>> probably useful for you.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 1:22 PM J. M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi again Andre,
>>>
>>> Thanks for that, I more or less get what you mean. The problem is that
>>> when I ran autoremove it came back with almost a gig of dependencies it
>>> wanted to remove, so I cancelled it! QGIS wasn't the last program I
>>> installed so I have no idea how to purge only the dependencies directly
>>> related to the previous version of it I was running. If I run autoremove
>>> and it damages other applications or makes my system unusable then I won't
>>> be able to fix it (I'm only a user, I've got no background in programming).
>>> I read around and people warned strongly against doing this unless you're
>>> sure what you want to remove. How can I be sure I only remove the right
>>> dependencies? Does QGIS have a list or something I can use as a guide?
>>>
>>> If anyone could explain how to use Synaptic package manager then I'd be
>>> really grateful! It must have the most unintuitive interface of any piece
>>> of software I've ever tried to use..
>>>
>>> I edited the source file last time I installed it, so that part is done.
>>> Incidentally, I don't see the 'other Software' tab in the Ubuntu Software
>>> Center, so I just edited it manually. Any idea what that package is called?
>>> I'm happy enough using the terminal if I know (roughly) what I'm doing!
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot team,
>>> Jimi.

>> --
>> Ismail Sunni
>> Software Engineer
>> ismailsunni.id
>> ismailsunni.wordpress.com

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi Ismail,

Well, I've tried everything I can think of, everything people have recommended and everything I've googled, but there seems to be no earthly way to get rid of the following error messages:

sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 qgis : Depends: python3-qgis (= 1:3.12.0+28bionic) but it is not going to be installed

I've tried this:
sudo apt-get purge qgis
sudo apt-get autoremove qgis
sudo apt-get --purge remove qgis
sudo apt-get update
 but it returned the following:
sudo apt-get update

Hit:6 http://qgis.org/debian bionic InRelease
  The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F
Hit:18 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Err:18 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu bionic InRelease
  The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 089EBE08314DF160
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F
E: The repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu bionic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 089EBE08314DF160

I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong? I don't actually understand what this link is for:
If you download via the terminal by typing 'sudo apt-get install qgis' then how do you make use of all the folders in this link? I mean, how do I differentiate if I want to download version 3.10 or 3.12 of QGIS?

Sorry team, I just can't get this to work and I'm worried I do irreparable damage to my system with this process.
Please help me out, guys!
Cheers,
Jimi.

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

Ben Hur Pintor-2
Hi!

First of all, make sure that you add the qgis.org repo public key via sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 51F523511C7028C3. Make sure that the library versions in your computer (specially GDAL and PROJ) are the same libraries that QGIS is built against.

The links in https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu determine which versions of QGIS will be installed. You add these as sources in the Software Center or you can add them directly in your /etc/apt/sources.list file as instructed in https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu.
If you want 3.12 (Latest Release), you can use/add the following in your /etc/apt/sources.list file https://qgis.org/ubuntu or https://qgis.org/ubuntugis (if with ubuntugis-unstable dependencies).
If you want the LTR branch (3.10.3), simply use https://qgis.org/ubuntu-ltr or https://qgis.org/ubuntugis-ltr (if with ubuntugis-unstable dependencies) in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Also, don't forget to remove/purge all previous QGIS or GRASS installations (e.g. sudo apt remove qgis grass qgis-plugin-grass) and do an update (sudo apt update) before trying to install QGIS again.

I run Pop! OS 18.04 (based on Ubuntu 18.04). Unfortunately, the libraries in the main (universe) repo of Bionic are a bit outdated (GDAL 2.2.3, PROJ 4.9, etc.). The newer versions of QGIS use GDAL 3.0.X and PROJ 6.X. Using the ubuntugis-unstable (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable) PPA remedies the problem of some outdated libraries. If you will use the ubuntugis-unstable libraries, don't forget to add the PPA to your sources as well. On another note, PROJ 6.3.1, which QGIS 3.10.3 and 3.12 use, isn't available yet in Bionic even when using the ubuntugis PPA so even if I want, I can only install 3.10.2 right now on my machine. Trying to install 3.12 via the ubuntu or ubuntugis repo fails.

All the best,
Ben Hur

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi Ben!

Thanks a lot for that, really helpful. Andre explained that the last time I had a problem with the installation

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi Ben!

Sorry, that sent accidentally. I'll give it a go. It was actually the ubuntugis unstable PPA which caused the current problem I'm having, so I'm keen to avoid that PPA if I can. I'll try your steps again and let you know what the outcome is.

Cheers,
Jimi.

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi Ben!

Thanks a lot for that, really helpful; I'll give it a go. It was actually the ubuntugis unstable PPA which caused the current problem I'm having, so I'm keen to avoid that PPA if I can. I'll try your steps again and let you know what the outcome is.

Cheers,
Jimi.

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi Ben,

No joy, I'm afraid. I think I did everything you recommended. I'm going to run through it in case I missed something obvious:
  • I ran sudo apt remove qgis grass qgis-plugin-grass, then ran sudo apt-get update
  • The /etc/apt/sources file contains the correct info because I modified it for the last installation
  • I ran autoremove on QGIS and erased over a gigabyte of dependencies (which seemed like a lot..)
  • I ran sudo apt-key list to check if the ubuntugis-unstable PPA was still listed as trusted, and it didn't appear
  • I added the ubuntugis stable PPA as recommended on https://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/wiki/UbuntuGISRepository, with sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ppa, and it appeared to duplicate your command sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 51F523511C7028C3. Is that possible when they appear to reference two different PPA's?
  • I ran sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass and received the following error message, similar to before:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 qgis : Depends: gdal-abi-2-2-3
        Depends: libqgis-analysis3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-app3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-core3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-gui3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: python3-qgis (= 1:3.12.0+28bionic) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: qgis-providers (= 1:3.12.0+28bionic) but it is not going to be installed
 qgis-plugin-grass : Depends: qgis-provider-grass (= 1:3.12.0+28bionic) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: grass740
                     Depends: libqgis-app3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libqgis-core3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libqgis-gui3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libqgisgrass7-3.12.0 but it is not going to be installed

I must be missing something. Do I have to open the UI via terminal (sudo nautilus) and manually remove every file which makes reference to QGIS and ubuntugis-unstable? As formatting my machine isn't an option there must be a simple way of completely removing the program and its dependencies.. right?!

I don't even know what Gdal is or does, because I can't even get started learning QGIS because I'm finding it impossible to have a version running for long enough to start with tutorials! Is it to allow you to overlay raster info onto GIS projects or something? I googled it but the explanation must have been written by a robot (no offence intended, to robots I mean). Gdal was the reason I installed the ubuntugis-unstable PPA, because Blender gave me the helpful error message: Please install gdal to enable raster projection support. As my crystal ball was clouded up when I read that I came here to bug you guys for help!

Thanks again to everyone who has had a go at helping me. Keep those ideas coming!!
Cheers,
Jimi.

Am 18.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb J. M:
> Hi again Andre,
>
> I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
> apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
> error messages about broken packages.

Yes, because you have packages that are compiled against a set of
libraries that does not match your computer. You have to remove,
autoremove and purge those QGIS packages to force a download from the
right folder.

> When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
> just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
> downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
> Try
> deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

That should go into your sources list, to replace the QGIS download
source you used before. The Ubuntu Software center has a tab for "other
Software" that holds the same information, so no need to edit the
sources file manually.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

Ben Hur Pintor-2
Hi!

It looks like your machine is trying to install 3.12.

As I mentioned in the last part of my previous message, right now you can't install QGIS 3.12 on Ubuntu 18.04 because 3.12 needs PROJ 6.3.1 which currently isn't available in Bionic -- via the main canonical repo or even with the ubuntugis-unstable PPA. Therefore, I suggest installing from the LTR branch and not the LR branch. When I use the LTR branch with ubuntugis dependencies, I get QGIS 3 10.2 no problem.

I run the same machine as you and actually faced the same problem when I tried to install the Latest Release (3.12) on Bionic. Try using the repos for the LTR (the ones with -ltr in the end). Maybe that will help.

Don't worry about it, we've all been there.

All the best,
Ben Hur

Am 26.02.20 um 00:12 schrieb J. M:

>     - I ran sudo apt-key list to check if the ubuntugis-unstable PPA was
>     still listed as trusted, and it didn't appear
>     - I added the ubuntugis stable PPA as recommended on
>     https://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/wiki/UbuntuGISRepository,

That wiki is outdated, the qgis.org/ubuntugis packages are compiled
against the ubuntugis *unstable* PPA, see
<https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu>

I guess you are better off without anything from ubuntugis at the
moment. So take the qgis.org/ubuntu-ltr bionic packages to avoid the
PROJ6 problems others mentioned.

You should run "apt-cache policy libgdal20" to see that you have GDAL
2.2.3 and nothing newer. See
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/92019/how-to-install-specific-ubuntu-packages-with-exact-version>
to learn how to install a specific version of a package.

And add "python3-qgis" to your install command.

> with sudo
>     add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ppa, and it appeared to duplicate your
>     command sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key
>     51F523511C7028C3. Is that possible when they appear to reference two
>     different PPA's?

The key is for the whole ubuntugis project, regardless of the branch you
are using. Same goes for QGIS.

>     - I ran sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass and received the
>     following error message, similar to before:
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>   qgis : Depends: gdal-abi-2-2-3

Seems to be a non-ubuntugis package, but You don't have the GDAL version
2.2.3 installed, but a newer one from ubuntugis. Try to get rid of that
to remove all follow-up error messages.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hi guys!

Well thanks for all that info! Ben, I completely failed to understand what you explained before about your OS, but I get it now! I was happy with 3.10 anyway, so that's great. I'll have a go at removing ubuntugis-unstable and I'll edit my source file accordingly. Incidentally, it might be a good idea to explain that on the site because I've been redirected there many times and always just gone somewhere else to get instructions about what to do. For software engineers it's maybe logical, but for end users like me it seemed like reference information, entirely unrelated to the actual installation process.

Andre, thanks again! I'm not sure how to remove the ubuntugis files to be honest, if purging QGIS doesn't work. I erased the GPG manually (sudo nautilus) because I hadn't encountered an easy way, but then I ran autoremove qgis and I thought that would take care of everything related to it, including PPA's (the command removed stuff connected with FreeCAD, for example, which has no connection whatsoever).
The key is for the whole ubuntugis project, regardless of the branch you
are using. Same goes for QGIS.

That makes sense, and explains the error message about it.

Okay, one last question:
And add "python3-qgis" to your install command.
I don't know enough about linux syntax to include this without dropping the ball.
Maybe 'sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass python3-qgis'?
Should I start again and run autoremove qgis, etc, or can I attempt it from where I am?

Thanks again!!
Jimi.

Am 26.02.20 um 11:54 schrieb J. M:

> Okay, one last question:
> And add "python3-qgis" to your install command.
> I don't know enough about linux syntax to include this without dropping the
> ball.
> Maybe 'sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass python3-qgis'?

Yes, exactly.
But before, make sure to have the right GDAL lib with

apt-cache policy libgdal20

Else you would not come further.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Okay great! Thanks a lot, I'll try that!

Cheers,
Jimi.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:03 PM Andre Joost <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 26.02.20 um 11:54 schrieb J. M:

> Okay, one last question:
> And add "python3-qgis" to your install command.
> I don't know enough about linux syntax to include this without dropping the
> ball.
> Maybe 'sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass python3-qgis'?

Yes, exactly.
But before, make sure to have the right GDAL lib with

apt-cache policy libgdal20

Else you would not come further.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M
Hiya Andre,

More syntax problems maybe, but I get this:
apt-cache policy libgdal20
libgdal20:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.4.2+dfsg-1~bionic0
  Version table:
     2.4.2+dfsg-1~bionic0 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
     2.2.3+dfsg-2 500
        500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
jimi@jimi-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get install apt-cache policy libgdal20[sudo] password for jimi:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package apt-cache
E: Unable to locate package policy

What commands do I need to get the right cache?
Cheers,
Jimi.