QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
Hi all,
I still try to understand why first QGIS startup is so slow on Windows platforms, and why it is always slower compared to MacOsx or Linux.

Process Monitor raises a first very strange behaviour:

qgis-bin.exe tries 172 765 times to do a 'Create File' action in C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\NAS01 (NAS01 is my Appdata centralized File server where qgis profile is moved with --confipath).  Result is 'NAME NOT FOUND'

Trying to explore  C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\, I don't have access privileges on that folder even if I am admin on my W7 station.

That file location seems to be a storage place for offline informations . See [0]

Any idea?

I will keep posting tests here for the record.

Cheers

[0] https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7579e193-d7ad-490e-99ce-9bd1adae0bed/cwindowscscv206temp-folder?forum=w7itprogeneral

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
I also have same messages with another location, where are stored other python plugins (QGIS_PLUGINPATH), this might be related to python compile process..
This startup was surprisingly long: 5 minutes... and not the first one..

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Martin Dobias
Hi Regis

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Régis Haubourg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I still try to understand why first QGIS startup is so slow on Windows
> platforms, and why it is always slower compared to MacOsx or Linux.
>
> Process Monitor raises a first very strange behaviour:
>
> qgis-bin.exe tries 172 765 times to do a 'Create File' action in
> C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\NAS01 (NAS01 is my Appdata centralized File
> server where qgis profile is moved with --confipath).  Result is 'NAME NOT
> FOUND'

So if I understand correctly, you store all the user-specific data
(what normally goes to ~/.qgis2) on a network drive, is that correct?

Does QGIS take long time to start even if the usual local directory is
used? Maybe the system is not configured well, resulting in long time
to read files from it.

Regards
Martin

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
Hi Martin,
Agreed, will test now, but I don't remember having had fast startup with default profile settings.
I'm uploading monitor logs in case that is usefull to you. Event properties seem to say that plugins are involved.
Cheers

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
Full monitor logs and events properties are uploaded here [0]. See first event properties for one failed event here [1] and a screen capture (more readable) here [2]

[0] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzatQbprJ-hjTVFRYWUwS2tpSDQ&authuser=0
[1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BsfWFzSkAVSDXtVZxvr-JPbPtxeVdWeo8UJv9NT_xMQ&authuser=0
[2] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzatQbprJ-hjQjAzamZPSk1OWjg&authuser=0

Thanks for your help guys

Régis

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Martin Dobias
Hi

the screenshot points to reading of QGIS configuration with Qt
routines - then it gets stuck in OS kernel waiting for some kind of
lock. No idea what exactly is going wrong.

Normally the configuration on windows is stored in registry, but the
--configpath option overrides it and uses an .ini file stored in the
given directory. Is that directory actually writable - can you create
files in it? can you see an .ini file there with QGIS configuration?

Again, first try running QGIS without --configpath

Cheers
Martin

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Régis Haubourg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Full monitor logs and events properties are uploaded here [0]. See first
> event properties for one failed event here [1] and a screen capture (more
> readable) here [2]
>
> [0] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzatQbprJ-hjTVFRYWUwS2tpSDQ&authuser=0
> [1]
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BsfWFzSkAVSDXtVZxvr-JPbPtxeVdWeo8UJv9NT_xMQ&authuser=0
> [2] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzatQbprJ-hjQjAzamZPSk1OWjg&authuser=0
>
> Thanks for your help guys
>
> Régis

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
Yes ini files are there and writeable, I manage them without any problem.
I start tests with classical config now.

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
You're right Martin,
not using --configpath option is fast (5 seconds).
I tested also PLUGIN_PATH option, and there is no problem with it.

What can I do next to narrow down the issue?

Régis

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
And I forgot, All creation file failing event disappeared..

Re: QGIS slow startup on windows

Régis Haubourg
Just in case I missed something, I copied all my plugins that where in remote profiles and QGIS_PLUGINPATH folder. I have many plugins parsing xml datas.. No problem, that only take 10 seconds more to load.

However, I noticed doing this that plugin installer tool is reactive, when it is extremly slow with -- configpath options.
It is slow to open, and slow each time I check a plugin or just try to read plugin's informations.

Régis