QGIS segmentation fault

Gavin Fleming

Hi

Ubuntu server 7.10. QGIS worked until I did an apt-get update some time back. It was using standard repositories plus the launchpad/timlinux one. Yesterday I added launchpad/qgis to my apt sources and tried a new install but I still get this, I’m not even sure what version it’s attempting to run. The splash screen was coming up in earlier versions of this crash but now that’s not even happening:

qgis

Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.

Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.

Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.

Segmentation fault

Any tips?

Gavin

This message is intended for the addressee only.
Information and attachments in this e-mail may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful,
and could result in a claim against you.

Re: QGIS segmentation fault

Borys Jurgiel
Friday 21 of November 2008 07:36:15 Gavin Fleming napisał(a):

> Hi
>
> Ubuntu server 7.10. QGIS worked until I did an apt-get update some time
> back. It was using standard repositories plus the launchpad/timlinux
> one. Yesterday I added launchpad/qgis to my apt sources and tried a new
> install but I still get this, I'm not even sure what version it's
> attempting to run. The splash screen was coming up in earlier versions
> of this crash but now that's not even happening:
>
> qgis
>
> Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>
> Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>
> Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>
> Segmentation fault

Here are the simplest solutions, sometimes help:

Try to remove (or better rename or move anywhere to not lost your settings)
the configuration file: ~/.config/QuantumGIS/qgis.conf

If it doesn't help, the problem may be caused by an incompatible C++ plugin.
Have you compiled any for older version by youself? If so, try to (re)move it
and recompile. Python plugins shouldn't give such error, but to be sure, you
can remove or rename the ~/.qgis/python/plugins directory

Btw. The warning message you've reported appears frequently in some qgis
versions and probably isn't related to the subsequent segfault.

Regards,
B.

Re: QGIS segmentation fault

Tim Sutton
Hi Gavin

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 08:36 +0200, Gavin Fleming wrote:

> Hi
>

> Ubuntu server 7.10. QGIS worked until I did an apt-get update some
> time back. It was using standard repositories plus the
> launchpad/timlinux one. Yesterday I added launchpad/qgis to my apt
> sources and tried a new install but I still get this, I’m not even
> sure what version it’s attempting to run. The splash screen was coming
> up in earlier versions of this crash but now that’s not even
> happening:

Try purging all QGIS related packages and uninstalling any hand built
QGIS you may have, and then installing the launchpad/jef packages listed
on http://download.qgis.org for heron. That will get you 1.0 preview 2
which is IMHO more stable than 0.11 anyway.

Buzz if you still cant come right.

Regards

Tim

> qgis
>
> Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>
> Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>
> Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>
> Segmentation fault
>

> Any tips?
>

> Gavin
>

> This message is intended for the addressee only.
> Information and attachments in this e-mail may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
> If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient,
> any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful,
> and could result in a claim against you.
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS segmentation fault

Nikos Alexandris
On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 23:31 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi Gavin
> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 08:36 +0200, Gavin Fleming wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Ubuntu server 7.10. QGIS worked until I did an apt-get update some
> > time back. It was using standard repositories plus the
> > launchpad/timlinux one. Yesterday I added launchpad/qgis to my apt
> > sources and tried a new install but I still get this, I’m not even
> > sure what version it’s attempting to run. The splash screen was coming
> > up in earlier versions of this crash but now that’s not even
> > happening:
>
> Try purging all QGIS related packages and uninstalling any hand built
> QGIS you may have, and then installing the launchpad/jef packages listed
> on http://download.qgis.org for heron. That will get you 1.0 preview 2
> which is IMHO more stable than 0.11 anyway.
>
> Buzz if you still cant come right.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

> > qgis
> >
> > Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
> >
> > Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
> >
> > Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
> >
> > Segmentation fault
> >
> > Any tips?
> > Gavin

Hi all!

That is what I do when things go wrong (under Ubuntu-64bit).

*** BE CAREFUL with (1) "rm -rf" and (b) with /home/user-id/.qgis ***

# in case of compiling another qgis version, before installing remove
all qgis related stuff

#for qgis_0_11
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/qgis \
/usr/local/bin/qgis_help \
/usr/local/include/qgis \
/usr/local/lib/libqgis_core.so \
/usr/local/lib/libqgis_core.so.0.11 \
/usr/local/lib/libqgis_gui.so \
/usr/local/lib/libqgis_gui.so.0.11 \
/usr/local/lib/libqgisgrass.so \
/usr/local/lib/libqgisgrass.so.0.11 \
/usr/local/lib/libqgispython.so \
/usr/local/lib/libqgispython.so.0.11 \
/usr/local/lib/qgis \
/usr/local/share/qgis \
/usr/local/share/man/man1/qgis.man

# for qgis 1.0
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/libqgis_core.so.1.0 \
/usr/local/lib/libqgis_gui.so.1.0 \
/usr/local/lib/libqgispython.so.1.0 \
#/home/nik/.qgis

Re: [solved] QGIS segmentation fault

H.S.Rai-2
Today's updation, made qGIS - 1.0.0 Kore works fine on Ubuntu 8.10

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Nikos Alexandris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 23:31 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi Gavin
>> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 08:36 +0200, Gavin Fleming wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Ubuntu server 7.10. QGIS worked until I did an apt-get update some
>> > time back. It was using standard repositories plus the
>> > launchpad/timlinux one. Yesterday I added launchpad/qgis to my apt
>> > sources and tried a new install but I still get this, I'm not even
>> > sure what version it's attempting to run. The splash screen was coming
>> > up in earlier versions of this crash but now that's not even
>> > happening:
>>
>> Try purging all QGIS related packages and uninstalling any hand built
>> QGIS you may have, and then installing the launchpad/jef packages listed
>> on http://download.qgis.org for heron. That will get you 1.0 preview 2
>> which is IMHO more stable than 0.11 anyway.
>>
>> Buzz if you still cant come right.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>
>> > qgis
>> >
>> > Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>> >
>> > Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>> >
>> > Warning: No valid projection. Unable to set map units.
>> >
>> > Segmentation fault
>> >
>> > Any tips?
>> > Gavin
>
> Hi all!
>
> That is what I do when things go wrong (under Ubuntu-64bit).

> *** BE CAREFUL with (1) "rm -rf" and (b) with /home/user-id/.qgis ***
>
> # in case of compiling another qgis version, before installing remove
> all qgis related stuff
>
> #for qgis_0_11
> sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/qgis \
> /usr/local/bin/qgis_help \
> /usr/local/include/qgis \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgis_core.so \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgis_core.so.0.11 \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgis_gui.so \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgis_gui.so.0.11 \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgisgrass.so \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgisgrass.so.0.11 \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgispython.so \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgispython.so.0.11 \
> /usr/local/lib/qgis \
> /usr/local/share/qgis \
> /usr/local/share/man/man1/qgis.man
>
> # for qgis 1.0
> sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/libqgis_core.so.1.0 \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgis_gui.so.1.0 \
> /usr/local/lib/libqgispython.so.1.0 \
> #/home/nik/.qgis

Dr. H.S.Rai
Prof. and Head
Civil Engineering Department http://gndec.ac.in/civil/
Guru Nanak Dev Engg. College http://gndec.ac.in/
Ludhiana (Pb) India
http://gndec.ac.in/~hsrai/
http://hs.raiandrai.com

Re: [solved] QGIS segmentation fault

fsc7
I solved this problem following the instructions here https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qgis/+question/50845
libgdal was missing, I think qgis could install gdal by standard.
Best regards,

Felipe Costa

H.S.Rai-2 wrote