QGIS running on RDS server

Sandra Menares

Hi Community,

We are planning to install QGIS on a Remote Desktop Server using Windows 2016 server with Hyper-V.

1.       Does QGIS runs in a virtualized environment?

2.       Does the virtual host needs special graphics card, like ArcGIS does?  Like a NVDIA GRID card to pass through GPUs to the VM? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/on-premises-overview.htm

3.       What would be the minimum hardware requirements? CPU, RAM?

Thanks so much in advanced.

Kind Regards,

Sandra Menares | Project Engineer

Correct Solutions

Unit 3, 7 Anella Ave, Castle Hill NSW 2154

Ph:  +61 2 8831 8200 | Fax: +61 2 8831 8299

Website | Correct IT Blog | Newsletter | LinkedIn

Re: QGIS running on RDS server

Jeff Hubbs-2
On 2/9/20 9:33 PM, Sandra Menares wrote:

Hi Community,

�

We are planning to install QGIS on a Remote Desktop Server using Windows 2016 server with Hyper-V.

1.������ Does QGIS runs in a virtualized environment?

Sure; least of your problems.

2.������ Does the virtual host needs special graphics card, like ArcGIS does? �Like a NVDIA GRID card to pass through GPUs to the VM? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/on-premises-overview.htm

I don't believe so, no.

3.������ What would be the minimum hardware requirements? CPU, RAM?

No telling without knowing what all the aggregate use cases of your usership will be. That being said, Windows is a hog and it's a poor excuse for a multiuser application platform. Were it me and I wanted to supply a central QGIS deployment to a user population, I'd set up QGIS Server on Linux and be done with it. That gets you away from having to pay for Remote Desktop Client Access Licenses (the cost of which scales with the size of the usership) or server OS licenses.

�

Thanks so much in advanced.

�

Kind Regards,

�

Sandra Menares | Project Engineer

Correct Solutions

Unit 3, 7 Anella Ave, Castle Hill NSW 2154

Ph:� +61 2 8831 8200 | Fax: +61 2 8831 8299

Website | Correct IT Blog | Newsletter | LinkedIn

�

Re: QGIS running on RDS server

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Sandra,

Yes, we use QGIS on Windows 2016. It runs fine. Although not as an App-V for now, but as a regular install. We would prefer to run it as an App-V application.

No, you won't need special graphics card.

As to the third question: this is impossible to answer. It depends on many factors, like how many parallel users you'll have on the server, what data you are working on, etc.

Hope this helps,

Andreas