QGIS meeting April 3, 2020 in Ithaca, NY

QGIS meeting April 3, 2020 in Ithaca, NY

Keith Jenkins
Good morning, OSGeo US!

Inspired and encouraged by the success of the recent QGIS meeting in
Chattanooga (organized by the inimitable Randy Hale), several of us in
New York are planning a little something for spring 2020.

WHEN:
    Friday, April 3, 2020
WHERE:
    Cornell University
    Mann Library
    Ithaca, NY 14853
WHAT:
    A full day of QGIS excitement, with a choice of workshops in the
morning, and a series of presentations after lunch

We plan to open registration sometime in January.  In the meantime,
I've set up this page on the OSGEO wiki:
    https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_NY_2020

We aim to keep this event free for attendees.  One of the factors in
that decision is that it decreases the overhead and advance notice
required for certain government employees to attend.  Mann Library at
Cornell will provide free access to several computer classrooms and
presentation spaces, so the main expense will be providing lunch.

We would like to request financial support from OSGeo US.  We still
need to put together an estimate of expenses, but wanted to go ahead
and reach out and get this on the radar.

Cheers,
Keith Jenkins, Cornell University
Mickey Dietrich, Tug Hill Commission
Alaina Mallette, Tug Hill Commission
Frank Donnelly, Baruch College

Re: QGIS meeting April 3, 2020 in Ithaca, NY

Keith Jenkins
We would like to formally request funding from OSGeo-US to support
"QGIS NY 2020", a full-day event being held in Ithaca, NY on April 3,
2020.  This is a free event, and since it is all day, we would like to
provide lunch and snacks for the attendees.  We estimate $1300 to feed
an estimated audience of 50.  We would be grateful for any funding
that OSGeo-US might be able to provide.

Again, this is a free event, open to all who are interested in
learning more about QGIS.  We hope this event will help to make
connections between QGIS users in New York state and the surrounding
region, and help establish more of an open source geo community here.

We recently updated https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_NY_2020 with the
tentative schedule for the day, and hope to open registration for the
event soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or need more details
about the event.

Many Thanks,
Keith

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 9:42 AM Keith Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning, OSGeo US!
>
> Inspired and encouraged by the success of the recent QGIS meeting in
> Chattanooga (organized by the inimitable Randy Hale), several of us in
> New York are planning a little something for spring 2020.
>
> WHEN:
>     Friday, April 3, 2020
> WHERE:
>     Cornell University
>     Mann Library
>     Ithaca, NY 14853
> WHAT:
>     A full day of QGIS excitement, with a choice of workshops in the
> morning, and a series of presentations after lunch
>
> We plan to open registration sometime in January.  In the meantime,
> I've set up this page on the OSGEO wiki:
>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_NY_2020
>
> We aim to keep this event free for attendees.  One of the factors in
> that decision is that it decreases the overhead and advance notice
> required for certain government employees to attend.  Mann Library at
> Cornell will provide free access to several computer classrooms and
> presentation spaces, so the main expense will be providing lunch.
>
> We would like to request financial support from OSGeo US.  We still
> need to put together an estimate of expenses, but wanted to go ahead
> and reach out and get this on the radar.
>
> Cheers,
> Keith Jenkins, Cornell University
> Mickey Dietrich, Tug Hill Commission
> Alaina Mallette, Tug Hill Commission
> Frank Donnelly, Baruch College

Re: QGIS meeting April 3, 2020 in Ithaca, NY

guidos
Hey Keith,

This sounds great.

Thank you for organizing and for putting all the information out on the net.

I will put this out as a vote to the committee and will have a result for you within a week. It should have no trouble passing.

-Guido

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 1:11 PM Keith Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
We would like to formally request funding from OSGeo-US to support
"QGIS NY 2020", a full-day event being held in Ithaca, NY on April 3,
2020.  This is a free event, and since it is all day, we would like to
provide lunch and snacks for the attendees.  We estimate $1300 to feed
an estimated audience of 50.  We would be grateful for any funding
that OSGeo-US might be able to provide.

Again, this is a free event, open to all who are interested in
learning more about QGIS.  We hope this event will help to make
connections between QGIS users in New York state and the surrounding
region, and help establish more of an open source geo community here.

We recently updated https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_NY_2020 with the
tentative schedule for the day, and hope to open registration for the
event soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or need more details
about the event.

Many Thanks,
Keith

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 9:42 AM Keith Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning, OSGeo US!
>
> Inspired and encouraged by the success of the recent QGIS meeting in
> Chattanooga (organized by the inimitable Randy Hale), several of us in
> New York are planning a little something for spring 2020.
>
> WHEN:
>     Friday, April 3, 2020
> WHERE:
>     Cornell University
>     Mann Library
>     Ithaca, NY 14853
> WHAT:
>     A full day of QGIS excitement, with a choice of workshops in the
> morning, and a series of presentations after lunch
>
> We plan to open registration sometime in January.  In the meantime,
> I've set up this page on the OSGEO wiki:
>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_NY_2020
>
> We aim to keep this event free for attendees.  One of the factors in
> that decision is that it decreases the overhead and advance notice
> required for certain government employees to attend.  Mann Library at
> Cornell will provide free access to several computer classrooms and
> presentation spaces, so the main expense will be providing lunch.
>
> We would like to request financial support from OSGeo US.  We still
> need to put together an estimate of expenses, but wanted to go ahead
> and reach out and get this on the radar.
>
> Cheers,
> Keith Jenkins, Cornell University
> Mickey Dietrich, Tug Hill Commission
> Alaina Mallette, Tug Hill Commission
> Frank Donnelly, Baruch College

Re: QGIS meeting April 3, 2020 in Ithaca, NY

guidos
Keith,

you have the votes, please send me an email off the list and we can work out the details, like where would you like the money to go?

-Guido

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:27 PM Guido Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> I've set up this page on the OSGEO wiki:
>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_NY_2020
>
> We aim to keep this event free for attendees.  One of the factors in
> that decision is that it decreases the overhead and advance notice
> required for certain government employees to attend.  Mann Library at
> Cornell will provide free access to several computer classrooms and
> presentation spaces, so the main expense will be providing lunch.
>
> We would like to request financial support from OSGeo US.  We still
> need to put together an estimate of expenses, but wanted to go ahead
> and reach out and get this on the radar.
>
> Cheers,
> Keith Jenkins, Cornell University
> Mickey Dietrich, Tug Hill Commission
> Alaina Mallette, Tug Hill Commission
> Frank Donnelly, Baruch College

Re: QGIS meeting April 3, 2020 in Ithaca, NY

Following guidance from NYS and the CDC, we have postponed this event
due to Covid-19, but hope to reschedule at some future date.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_NY_2020

Guido, I'll be in touch once things settle down and we have a new date.

Stay healthy, everyone!
Keith

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Guido Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keith,
>
> you have the votes, please send me an email off the list and we can work out the details, like where would you like the money to go?
>
> -Guido

Re: QGIS meeting April 3, 2020 in Ithaca, NY

guidos
Just let me know how I can help.