QGIS mapserver project

Hugentobler  Marco
Dear QGIS developers and users

I'm happy to announce the start of the 'QGIS mapserver' project:

http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/qgis_wms.html

The idea of QGIS mapserver is simple: instead of using QGIS just as a desktop
GIS, it can also be used as a server. The benefit is that bug fixes and
extensions for the server also improve desktop GIS (and the other way round).
So no need to develop two different GIS for desktop and server. And
everything written in plattform independent C++ using the excellent Qt
library.

From a technical point of view, QGIS mapserver is an application linked to
libqgis_gui.so and libqgis_core.so. QGIS mapserver composes a set of
maplayers according to the client request, the QGIS libraries render
everything into a QImage (offscreen buffer). The server sends back the image
(as jpg or png) to the client byte by byte. And thanks to Martins clever
redesign of the QGIS libraries, QGIS mapserver doesn't need a running
X-server on Unixes.

QGIS mapserver has been developed at the Institute of Cartography, ETH Zurich
as part of the ORCHESTRA project. On the project page, you'll find a link to
a running instance of QGIS mapserver at our institute and some sample
requests.

QGIS mapserver doesn't (yet) have the same number of features as the
maperservers which are around for many years. But it is already usable as a
basic WMS server with SLD styling capabilities. It already supports
GetCapabilities and GetMap over HTTP GET and allows client defined styling
with SLD.

It also has capabilities that go beyond WMS (in fact that's why it has been
developed): it is possible to send SOAP requests via HTTP Post. Additionally
to the usual predefined data on the server, it is also possible for a client
to embed the data to render dircetly in the message when using SOAP. And it
will be possible to use diagram symbolisation (like bar and pie charts) in
near future.

And now the most important thing: QGIS mapserver is opensource (GPL) ->
everybody is kindly invited to contribute with code, documentation, testing,
bug reports, constructive critisism, etc. Contact me if you are interesting
in joining development of QGIS mapserver, there is still a lot to do...

All the best,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography

Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS mapserver project

Matthew Perry-2
On 5/11/07, Marco Hugentobler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The idea of QGIS mapserver is simple: instead of using QGIS just as a desktop
> GIS, it can also be used as a server. The benefit is that bug fixes and
> extensions for the server also improve desktop GIS (and the other way round).
> So no need to develop two different GIS for desktop and server. And
> everything written in plattform independent C++ using the excellent Qt
> library.

Awesome idea!

> QGIS mapserver doesn't (yet) have the same number of features as the
> maperservers which are around for many years. But it is already usable as a
> basic WMS server with SLD styling capabilities. It already supports
> GetCapabilities and GetMap over HTTP GET and allows client defined styling
> with SLD.

Would it be feasible to extend the QGIS wms server to read directly
from .qgs files? I think one of the main benefits of having a
QGIS-based WMS server would be to combine the configuration of desktop
and web maps into a single format. Wouldn't it nice to stylize your
map in qgis then immediately make that .qgs project file immediately
available on the web?

Using the current method, I'd have to reconfigure the same map twice.
Given that QGIS can export a mapserver mapfile, it really reduces the
incentive :-(

SLD support is nice though. perhaps that should be considered for
inclusion in the qgis core?

> And now the most important thing: QGIS mapserver is opensource (GPL) ->
> everybody is kindly invited to contribute with code, documentation, testing,
> bug reports, constructive critisism, etc. Contact me if you are interesting
> in joining development of QGIS mapserver, there is still a lot to do...

Great! I look forward to trying it out.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller

Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS mapserver project

Hugentobler  Marco

Hi Matthew

> Would it be feasible to extend the QGIS wms server to read directly
> from .qgs files? I think one of the main benefits of having a
> QGIS-based WMS server would be to combine the configuration of desktop
> and web maps into a single format. Wouldn't it nice to stylize your
> map in qgis then immediately make that .qgs project file immediately
> available on the web?
>
> Using the current method, I'd have to reconfigure the same map twice.
> Given that QGIS can export a mapserver mapfile, it really reduces the
> incentive :-(

There is a plugin I started to develop some time ago, called 'publish to web
plugin'. This plugin creates the server configuration from loaded layers in
QGIS (not only the configuration file itself). It is still very unstable and
unmature at the moment. But perhaps I should put it on the qgis mapserver
page as it is and improve it step by step.

> SLD support is nice though. perhaps that should be considered for
> inclusion in the qgis core?
>
> > And now the most important thing: QGIS mapserver is opensource (GPL) ->
> > everybody is kindly invited to contribute with code, documentation,
> > testing, bug reports, constructive critisism, etc. Contact me if you are
> > interesting in joining development of QGIS mapserver, there is still a
> > lot to do...
>
> Great! I look forward to trying it out.

Cool! Tell me how it goes.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography

Re: Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS mapserver project

Jeff McKenna-2
Matthew Perry wrote:
> Wouldn't it nice to stylize your
> map in qgis then immediately make that .qgs project file immediately
> available on the web?

Wow, I second that.  Years ago I experimented with ArcIMS' direct
publish-from-ArcMap-project (.mxd) and was jealous.  The equivalent
would be huge for MapServer map publishing, to say the least.

jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
DM Solutions Group Inc.

Re: Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS mapserver project

Matt Wilkie
sounds like a cool project. i look forward to playing with it when it
comes closer to end-user status. I ran across a similar project to
grow GRASS through the web today, http://pywps.wald.intevation.org/,
dunno if you folks know of each other or not, or even if there is
enough similarity to provide some synergy, but hey a pointer doesn't
hurt. ;-)

cheers,

-matt

Re: Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS mapserver project

Jachym Cepicky
hi,
G. Allegri píše v Út 29. 05. 2007 v 00:55 +0200:
> I know pywps, itis being supported by some of the italian gfoss list
> (ominiverdi). I think distributed gis will be the future, so I
> encourage this effort in developing such technologies. I come from
> esri experience, and I think gfoss should make a step to fill the gap
> with such products as arcgis server... This could be the right way.

working on it ;-)

good luck

jachym

> --
> giovanni
>
> 2007/5/28, Matt Wilkie <[hidden email]>:
>         sounds like a cool project. i look forward to playing with it
>         when it
>         comes closer to end-user status. I ran across a similar
>         project to
>         grow GRASS through the web today,
>         http://pywps.wald.intevation.org/,
>         dunno if you folks know of each other or not, or even if there
>         is
>         enough similarity to provide some synergy, but hey a pointer
>         doesn't
>         hurt. ;-)
>
>         cheers,
>
>         -matt
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

'Publish to web' plugin for QGIS mapserver

Hugentobler  Marco
On Saturday 12 May 2007 00:23:59 Matthew Perry wrote:
> Would it be feasible to extend the QGIS wms server to read directly
> from .qgs files? I think one of the main benefits of having a
> QGIS-based WMS server would be to combine the configuration of desktop
> and web maps into a single format. Wouldn't it nice to stylize your
> map in qgis then immediately make that .qgs project file immediately
> available on the web?

This is now possible with the 'publish to web' plugin. Just load layers into
qgis, symbolize them, open the 'publish to web' plugin to export the current
project to the web.

On the QGIS mapserver page
(http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/download/index.html) there are sources and
binary packages available, both for 'QGIS mapserver' and the 'publish to web'
Plugin.

So if you have apache and FastCGI configured, it is straightforward to publish
your QGIS maps on the web (and if not, it is also straightforward to install
the packages apache2, libapache2-mod-fcgid and libfcgi0c2 on Linux).

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography

Re: [Qgis-developer] 'Publish to web' plugin for QGIS mapserver

pcav
Marco Hugentobler ha scritto:

> On the QGIS mapserver page
> (http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/download/index.html) there are sources and
> binary packages available, both for 'QGIS mapserver' and the 'publish to web'
> Plugin.

Hi Marco.
Have you thought of making a real deb package of it? It would be great
to allow more users to install it and test it.
The DebianGIS project is here to help.
All the best.
pc
--