QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

J. M
Hi there team,

I have been trying (and failing) to install the latest version of QGIS for a couple of days, but I keep getting the same error message (the public key is not available). I tried sending this message with a screenshot but it exceeded the capacity restrictions. If anyone can help me through the instructions on https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu
then I'd really appreciate it!

I'd love to get started learning QGIS, but I can't get anything other than an old version to install...

Many thanks to the community.
Jimi.

Re: QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

Jorge Gustavo Rocha-3

Hi Jimi,

Maybe the keyserver is not available.

Can you try with this to have the key:

wget -O - https://qgis.org/downloads/qgis-2019.gpg.key | sudo tee apt-key add -

Good luck,

Jorge Gustavo

Às 15:50 de 22/09/19, J. M escreveu:
Hi there team,

I have been trying (and failing) to install the latest version of QGIS for a couple of days, but I keep getting the same error message (the public key is not available). I tried sending this message with a screenshot but it exceeded the capacity restrictions. If anyone can help me through the instructions on https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu
then I'd really appreciate it!

I'd love to get started learning QGIS, but I can't get anything other than an old version to install...

Many thanks to the community.
Jimi.

Logo   Geomaster, LDA
  VENHA DESCOBRIR O CAMINHO DO OPEN SOURCE CONNOSCO

Avenida Barros e Soares
N.º 423, 4715-214 Braga
VAT/NIF
510 906 109
Phone
  +351 253 680 323
Site       geomaster.pt
GPS       41.53322, -8.41929

Jorge Gustavo Rocha

CTO

Mobile
  +351 910 333 888
Email    [hidden email]

Re: QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

Jorge Gustavo Rocha-3

Hi Jimi,

I'm pretty sure that we can help you, but please provide more detailed description of your setup. Are you are installing QGIS on Debian? Ubuntu? Which version of the operation system?

You have added a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list, right? Which line did you added?

Best regards,

Jorge

Às 13:32 de 23/09/19, J. M escreveu:
Hi Jorge,

Well, I tried your suggestion and it gave me a BEGIN .. END key block, which it didn't do before. Before it said that the key server was not available. So I followed the rest of the instructions on https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html
and it installed version 2.18.17 (Las Palmas) exactly as it has every other time. I thought this was because I had used instructions from another site on another occasion, but with the QGIS.org instructions it is doing the same. Do you have any idea how to install the latest version automatically? I had already done 'sudo apt-get remove qgis' and 'sudo apt-get get purge qgis', to remove any older packages.

Any help would be great, as I really want to start learning QGIS!

Kind regards,
Jimi.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 12:21 PM J. M <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jorge!

Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll give it a go and let you know...

Many thanks!
Jimi

On 22 Sep 2019 18:00, "Jorge Gustavo Rocha" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Andre Joost

> Às 13:32 de 23/09/19, J. M escreveu:
>> Hi Jorge,
>>
>> Well, I tried your suggestion and it gave me a BEGIN .. END key block, which
>> it didn't do before. Before it said that the key server was not available. So
>> I followed the rest of the instructions on
>> https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html
>> and it installed version 2.18.17 (Las Palmas) exactly as it has every other
>> time.

Did you run "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" after
adding qgis.org?
Any packages held back?
What do you get from "apt-cache policy qgis-providers"?

If you don't see any refrerence from qgis.org, the qgis server is not
adressed properly. For the key issue, I prefer running
"sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key
51F523511C7028C3"

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

Andre Joost
Am 25.09.19 um 13:19 schrieb J. M:> Hi Andre,

> Well, I tried it as your suggested, and it did a lot more than on previous
> occasions, but it installed Las Palmas again, version 2.18.3! I've attached
> two screenshots so you can see what I'm doing. I'm probably missing one
> simple step, but I can't see what it might be..

Please answer to the list, for the benefit of all readers.

Again:
> What do you get from "apt-cache policy qgis-providers"?
>
> If you don't see any refrerence from qgis.org, the qgis server is not
> adressed properly.

I don't see that in your screenshots.

Greetings,
andre Joost

Re: QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

J. M
Hi Andre,

Sorry, I missed the part about apt-cache. When I run the command it returns 2.18.17, so the server is addressed. I don't see where to install the latest version in the instructions, so when I run 'sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' I don't understand how it would know which version to install. If i wanted to run 2.18.17 at a later date, how would I go about it? Pardon the newbie questions, but it's the only way I'll ever figure it out!

Also, I sent my previous queries to you because my first email got help up because it contained an attachment. Hope this one makes it through! I see people pasting screenshots into forum text, but I don't get the option for that either. Any hints?

Many thanks again to the whole team,
Jimi.

JM QGIS apt-cache.png (65K) Download Attachment

Am 25.09.19 um 15:59 schrieb J. M:

> Hi Andre,
>
> Sorry, I missed the part about apt-cache. When I run the command it returns
> 2.18.17, so the server is addressed. I don't see where to install the
> latest version in the instructions, so when I run 'sudo apt-get install
> qgis qgis-plugin-grass' I don't understand how it would know which version
> to install. If i wanted to run 2.18.17 at a later date, how would I go
> about it? Pardon the newbie questions, but it's the only way I'll ever
> figure it out!

I don't see any attempt to contact https://qgis.org. So you get only the
version from the ubuntu repository.

Did you add "deb https://qgis.org/ubuntu bionic main" to your sources?
You don't have to edit the sources file, there is an icon in your menu
for editing package sources.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Am 25.09.19 um 17:10 schrieb Andre Joost:

> I don't see any attempt to contact https://qgis.org. So you get only the
> version from the ubuntu repository.
>
> Did you add "deb https://qgis.org/ubuntu bionic main" to your sources?
> You don't have to edit the sources file, there is an icon in your menu
> for editing package sources.

... and run "sudo apt-get update" afterwards. In your screenshots, you
ran upgrade twice, but not update?

HTH
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

J. M
Hi again Andre,

Okay, I did add this line: deb https://qgis.org/debian bionic main  to  etc/apt/sources.list, but I didn't know you could include 'ubuntu' there, I thought it had to read 'debian'. Interesting about the icon for editing source packages; do you mean it's an application within Ubuntu? I understood it had to be manual so I didn't look for it. What is it called?

I'll try modifying the package sources again and I'll update and upgrade once it's installed, to see if that was all it was. Should I run 'sudo apt-get remove qgis' and 'sudo apt-get purge qgis', or is there a neater way of ensuring all QGIS and GRASS packages are removed?

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll get there...
Jimi.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 5:20 PM Andre Joost <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 25.09.19 um 17:10 schrieb Andre Joost:

> I don't see any attempt to contact https://qgis.org. So you get only the
> version from the ubuntu repository.
>
> Did you add "deb https://qgis.org/ubuntu bionic main" to your sources?
> You don't have to edit the sources file, there is an icon in your menu
> for editing package sources.

... and run "sudo apt-get update" afterwards. In your screenshots, you
ran upgrade twice, but not update?

HTH
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

J. M
I've done it! I followed Andre's last piece of advice and modified the following line in etc/apt/sources.list: deb https://qgis.org/debian bionic main, changing debian to ubuntu, and it downloaded Zanzibar instead of Las Palmas! I still wouldn't know how to install a previous version, so it would be interesting to know how to do that...

Many thanks to this fantastic community!
Jimi.

Am 26.09.19 um 14:43 schrieb J. M:
>  I still wouldn't know how to install a previous version, so it
> would be interesting to know how to do that...

You can have:

v3.8.3 the way you did (to be replaced by v3.10.0 soon)
v3.4.12 from https://qgis.org/ubuntu-ltr bionic main
v2.18.17 from the main Ubuntu repo (removing qgis.org from your sources)

But not several at the same time, unless you use virtual boxes for each.

HTH,
Andre Joost

Re: QGIS installation on Ubuntu 18.04

J. M