QGIS in INSPIRE, QAntarctica etc (Metadata)

QGIS in INSPIRE, QAntarctica etc (Metadata)

Falk Huettmann
Dear all,

as Paolo suggested,
I should ask the list, so here I do:

"QGIS does have support to metadata. In fact, INSPIRE EU officials have
run extensive tests, and it is more compliant than any other GIS".

Could somebody please point me to details and to follow up on  ?

There are four questions in this:
-what about the U.S. and China government and their buy-in with this, aka none?

-if there is ISO compliance, how can there be different fractions  and some being ignored
(e.g. FGDC and USGS)?

-I have 'good' ISO compliant xml metadata files for try out, but they are not loading into QGIS qmd; we need a cross-platform approach to cater biology, geology, geography and social data. How done ?.

-real-world example: Antarctica is to have mandatory data, and with metadata; for global mankind. Norway runs and offers a QGIS-based Antarctic concept, but widely without relevant metadata.
They would be a typical example for us; looks like a violation of the Antarctic Treaty even; not ?

Thanks again, more later
    Falk Huettmann PhD, Professor
     Uni of Alaska Fairbanks

Re: QGIS in INSPIRE, QAntarctica etc (Metadata)

pcav

On 24/09/19 19:06, Falk Huettmann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> as Paolo suggested,
> I should ask the list, so here I do:
>
> "QGIS does have support to metadata. In fact, INSPIRE EU officials have
> run extensive tests, and it is more compliant than any other GIS".
>
> Could somebody please point me to details and to follow up on  ?

https://inspire-mif.github.io/caniuse/
it's a work in progress
cheers
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in INSPIRE, QAntarctica etc (Metadata)

Régis Haubourg

Le mar. 24 sept. 2019 à 19:07, Falk Huettmann <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Dear all,

as Paolo suggested,
I should ask the list, so here I do:

"QGIS does have support to metadata. In fact, INSPIRE EU officials have
run extensive tests, and it is more compliant than any other GIS".

I think those tests concern web services and web services metadata. QGIS is probably a very compliant client and server since some work has been done in that area. However, I am not aware of an embedded tool to create INSPIRE - ISO compliant metadata from QGIS. We currently can create Dublin Core metadata in the layer properties, and this comes from the great work funded by the world bank to link QGIS and Geonode.

This work has been discussed into the QEP 91: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/91

I think this area needs funding to add ISO compliant metadata templates to store and edit (which is not trivial given the hierarchical structure of ISO 19139 ). Maybe Tim has some fresh info on this topic.

Could somebody please point me to details and to follow up on  ?

There are four questions in this:
-what about the U.S. and China government and their buy-in with this, aka none?
I think US goes to FDGC format.

-if there is ISO compliance, how can there be different fractions  and some being ignored
(e.g. FGDC and USGS)?

you should try to discuss in the Geonetwork lists. Templates compatibility is often discussed there. I was handling a catalog before and we could reduce easily ISO to Dublin Core. I think we can do the same with most metadata formats

-I have 'good' ISO compliant xml metadata files for try out, but they are not loading into QGIS qmd; we need a cross-platform approach to cater biology, geology, geography and social data. How done ?.

this is because QMD is currently for Dublin Core format. not ISO

-real-world example: Antarctica is to have mandatory data, and with metadata; for global mankind. Norway runs and offers a QGIS-based Antarctic concept, but widely without relevant metadata.

Up to now, I lived with the INSPIRE regulations this way:

Use a standard metadata catalog, geonetwork for instance.
Handle all your data in some reference qgs files (or a directory tree of qlr could do)
Use some ETL to parse these files and generate automatically metadata entries in the catalog using CSW transactions
Use QGIS server to render nice overviews for those metadata templates.
Moderate those metadata and publish those that need to be according to your INSPIRE obligations. In most case, one entity produce very few datasets that need to be sent. We often try to publish dataset that are belonging to other autorities.
Use QGIS server to publish datasets
Wait again some years for the real GML application schema to publish full compliant services (or wait for them to be simplified to REST services). If really nessary, hire someone here (but we are way beyond the metadata topic)
Done.

They would be a typical example for us; looks like a violation of the Antarctic Treaty even; not ?

Mm, I don't follow you on this.

Thanks again, more later
    Falk Huettmann PhD, Professor
     Uni of Alaska Fairbanks