QGIS in Africa

pcav
Hi all,
is anybody planning to attend AfricaGIS 2019?
https://www.eis.africa/africagis-2019/
It would be interesting to try and spread more QGIS awareness outside
Europe.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in Africa

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

No - not planning. Seems to be an ESRI event? With two out of 4 keynote speakers from ESRI and 2 ESRI employees on the committee ...

Do you have an interest in attending?

Andreas

Re: QGIS in Africa

pcav
Hi Andreas,

On 08/07/19 08:54, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No - not planning. Seems to be an ESRI event? With two out of 4 keynote
> speakers from ESRI and 2 ESRI employees on the committee ...

I was reported by EU empliees it's an open event. Of course ESRI
presence is strong as always, so if it's possible it will be good to
show QGIS as well.

> Do you have an interest in attending?

not a professional one, but I think it would be good if someone from
QGIS will attend.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in Africa

Marco Bernasocchi-2
Hi all,
if we *need* someone to go and think it would be important, I've plenty of talks I could present but if not I'm not going

cheers Marco

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, 11:50 Paolo Cavallini, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andreas,

On 08/07/19 08:54, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No - not planning. Seems to be an ESRI event? With two out of 4 keynote
> speakers from ESRI and 2 ESRI employees on the committee ...

I was reported by EU empliees it's an open event. Of course ESRI
presence is strong as always, so if it's possible it will be good to
show QGIS as well.

> Do you have an interest in attending?

not a professional one, but I think it would be good if someone from
QGIS will attend.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in Africa

Anita Graser
Do you know if anyone from OSGeo is planning to attend?
They might also be interested or might be able to provide financial support for someone from QGIS attending.

Regards,
Anita

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:44 PM Marco Bernasocchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
if we *need* someone to go and think it would be important, I've plenty of talks I could present but if not I'm not going

cheers Marco

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, 11:50 Paolo Cavallini, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andreas,

On 08/07/19 08:54, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No - not planning. Seems to be an ESRI event? With two out of 4 keynote
> speakers from ESRI and 2 ESRI employees on the committee ...

I was reported by EU empliees it's an open event. Of course ESRI
presence is strong as always, so if it's possible it will be good to
show QGIS as well.

> Do you have an interest in attending?

not a professional one, but I think it would be good if someone from
QGIS will attend.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in Africa

pcav
Hi Anita, all,

On 11/07/19 22:25, Anita Graser wrote:
> Do you know if anyone from OSGeo is planning to attend?
> They might also be interested or might be able to provide financial
> support for someone from QGIS attending.

Good point. Anyone I can contact for this?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in Africa

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

If we think that a presence of QGIS is valuable at this (or similar) events, I would prefer to send people who are - either local - or want to combine it with some holidays.

I am against flying around the world to events with questionable benefits/results for us. People fly way too much - and we geo people should act more responsibly. We know about the global threats to this planet - and we can't close our eyes and say - oh no climage change is for real, but no - I am not the one that has to act responsibly. Others should do that for me ...

Do we have local QGIS users in Rwanda or neighbour countries?

Greetings,

Andreas

On 12/07/19 07:55, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If we think that a presence of QGIS is valuable at this (or similar)
> events, I would prefer to send people who are - either local - or want
> to combine it with some holidays.
>
> I am against flying around the world to events with questionable
> benefits/results for us. People fly way too much - and we geo people
> should act more responsibly. We know about the global threats to this
> planet - and we can't close our eyes and say - oh no climage change is
> for real, but no - I am not the one that has to act responsibly. Others
> should do that for me ...

agreed. also remote videoconferencing can be of help here, even though I
I'm still sure personal contact is far more effective in motivating people.

> Do we have local QGIS users in Rwanda or neighbour countries?

not that I know of - I have someone in TZ, but Tim will probably know more.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in Africa

Andreas Neumann-3
Tanzania would be good. It is a neighbor country.

The reason why the GIS Africa conference is in Rwanda is that one of the former ESRI Switzerland CEO (Kaspar Kundert) now lives in Rwanda (for some years already) and build the ESRI Rwanda subsidiary. He was probably one of the main organizers and is on the committee of the GIS Africa conference. There is certainly some large involvement by ESRI in this conference.

Andreas

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 08:33, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andreas,

On 12/07/19 07:55, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we think that a presence of QGIS is valuable at this (or similar)
> events, I would prefer to send people who are - either local - or want
> to combine it with some holidays.
>
> I am against flying around the world to events with questionable
> benefits/results for us. People fly way too much - and we geo people
> should act more responsibly. We know about the global threats to this
> planet - and we can't close our eyes and say - oh no climage change is
> for real, but no - I am not the one that has to act responsibly. Others
> should do that for me ...

agreed. also remote videoconferencing can be of help here, even though I
I'm still sure personal contact is far more effective in motivating people.

> Do we have local QGIS users in Rwanda or neighbour countries?

not that I know of - I have someone in TZ, but Tim will probably know more.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: QGIS in Africa

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

We could probably co-opt Admire to go but personally I don’t know if it is work QGIS money or his time (== Kartoza’s money) to go - we can’t be everywhere and if there is nobody already itching to make it happen its probably something to just park for another time.

Another thought is just to send a message to the OSGeo-africa list (Paolo I think you are on it already?) and maybe to reach out to folks from the OSGEO Dar LOC like Enock.

Regards

Tim

On 12 Jul 2019, at 08:04, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tanzania would be good. It is a neighbor country.

The reason why the GIS Africa conference is in Rwanda is that one of the former ESRI Switzerland CEO (Kaspar Kundert) now lives in Rwanda (for some years already) and build the ESRI Rwanda subsidiary. He was probably one of the main organizers and is on the committee of the GIS Africa conference. There is certainly some large involvement by ESRI in this conference.

Andreas

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 08:33, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andreas,

On 12/07/19 07:55, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we think that a presence of QGIS is valuable at this (or similar)
> events, I would prefer to send people who are - either local - or want
> to combine it with some holidays.
>
> I am against flying around the world to events with questionable
> benefits/results for us. People fly way too much - and we geo people
> should act more responsibly. We know about the global threats to this
> planet - and we can't close our eyes and say - oh no climage change is
> for real, but no - I am not the one that has to act responsibly. Others
> should do that for me ...

agreed. also remote videoconferencing can be of help here, even though I
I'm still sure personal contact is far more effective in motivating people.

> Do we have local QGIS users in Rwanda or neighbour countries?

not that I know of - I have someone in TZ, but Tim will probably know more.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

---

Tim Sutton

Re: QGIS in Africa

pcav
Hi Tim,

On 12/07/19 09:19, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Another thought is just to send a message to the OSGeo-africa list
> (Paolo I think you are on it already?) and maybe to reach out to folks
I have unsubscribed a while ago.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS in Africa

pcav
Thanks a lot Gavin for your explanation and offer to help.
Please do not hesitate letting me know if I can assist.
Cheers.