QGIS for Mobile (Android)

123

QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Saber Razmjooei
Dear PSC,

Looking at the minutes of the last PSC meeting [1], there was some discussion about qgis.org adopting QField as the official QGIS mobile app. This is very interesting / exciting and we had a couple of questions:

1- Would this mean the QField codebase would be formally adopted by the QGIS project with the same developer procedures / rights as the main QGIS codebase?

The reason we ask is that we’re working on a new data synchronisation service for mobile GIS (Mergin) and would be interested in how we could get QField to integrate with it.  So the second question is:

2- Given the fact that Mergin is a freemium service (not open source) would such a pull request to integrate this service be welcome in the same way that things like Oracle / MSSQL / ArcSDE support work in QGIS desktop?

Kind regards,

Saber

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Saber,

This was indeed discussed but is pending approval by the QField contributors. Up to now it is only a suggestion.

It wouldn't be "the official" QGIS mobile app, but rather "the official" QGIS mobile app on Android. There could be an "official" mobile app on iOS and on Windows as well. At the same time we would like to "retire/depricate" the old "QGIS on Android" project that hadn't been worked on for a long time. We would like to encourage other projects (such as "Input" and "QGIS Roam" to do the same, if there aren't any license or technical barriers.

He haven't discussed your option "2" yet. It would be nice to have the same synchronisation service work for QField, QGIS Roam and Input.

Thanks for reaching out about this,

Andreas

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Saber Razmjooei
Hi Andreas,

Many thanks for your response.

I agree, the QGIS On Android app is out-dated and needs to be removed (as discussed in the previous meetings). But the proposal goes beyond what it had been discussed.

In terms of QGIS.org's endorsement as the official app on platform X, would be good to have some guidelines/checklists. As far as I know all the apps are GPL licensed and that alone would not be sufficient.

There is not much external code contribution to each of those applications, outside the sponsored organisations. So, a fair way, would be to have a page on the QGIS.org website:

1- Explaining the technical capabilities of QGIS libraries (e.g. QgsQuick) and SDKs (OSGeo4A and OSGeo4iOS) to create mobile apps (for developers)
2- List the existing apps with a short description (for users)

Kind regards
Saber

On 2019-10-15 10:58, Saber Razmjooei wrote:

Dear PSC,

[...]

www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 15 Oct 2019, at 11:50, Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andreas,

Many thanks for your response.

I agree, the QGIS On Android app is out-dated and needs to be removed (as discussed in the previous meetings). But the proposal goes beyond what it had been discussed.

In terms of QGIS.org's endorsement as the official app on platform X, would be good to have some guidelines/checklists. As far as I know all the apps are GPL licensed and that alone would not be sufficient.

There is not much external code contribution to each of those applications, outside the sponsored organisations. So, a fair way, would be to have a page on the QGIS.org website:

1- Explaining the technical capabilities of QGIS libraries (e.g. QgsQuick) and SDKs (OSGeo4A and OSGeo4iOS) to create mobile apps (for developers)
2- List the existing apps with a short description (for users)

That sounds like a very good approach to me too.

I think Marco was also talking about having QField main repo moved to the QGIS.org GitHub repo (correct Marco?). Though I don’t think this needs to be a pre-requisite to being listed on the QGIS download page.

Regards

Tim

[...]

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

pcav
Hi all,

On 15/10/19 16:30, Tim Sutton wrote:

> That sounds like a very good approach to me too.
>
> I think Marco was also talking about having QField main repo moved to
> the QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org> GitHub repo (correct Marco?). Though I
> don’t think this needs to be a pre-requisite to being listed on the QGIS
> download page.

I think we are all on the same line here. Of course we'll treat all
projects equally, so all other parts of QGIS broader ecosystem are
welcome to start discussing the steps to join.
Regards.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Saber Razmjooei
Hi Paolo,

What should we exactly join up to? :)

Current QGIS code repository offers the platform to collaborate. Here are some of the example of our recent works to make QGIS touch library (on the back of great work from OpenGIS) and static providers:

Additionally, we extended the SDK to support compilation of QGIS on iOS.

I had raised 2 questions in my initial email and would be interested to see how those scenarios would be handled if QField becomes the official QGIS mobile (Android) app?

Also a note about Input and data synchronisation, you can use your USB cable, Bluetooth, wifi, ... to sync the data and there is no need for our service. In the same way, you can completely avoid Oracle database data provider and use your PostGIS or Shapefile.

Regards
Saber

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 at 15:43, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

On 15/10/19 16:30, Tim Sutton wrote:

> That sounds like a very good approach to me too.
>
> I think Marco was also talking about having QField main repo moved to
> the QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org> GitHub repo (correct Marco?). Though I
> don’t think this needs to be a pre-requisite to being listed on the QGIS
> download page.

I think we are all on the same line here. Of course we'll treat all
projects equally, so all other parts of QGIS broader ecosystem are
welcome to start discussing the steps to join.
Regards.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

pcav
Hi Saber

On 15/10/19 17:10, Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> What should we exactly join up to? :)

nothing ;)
of course it's up to individual projects to decide whether they prefer
to remain independent, with complete freedom of action, or become part
of the whole QGIS.ORG, with its increased visibility.
Nothing defined yes, let's keep discussing this, or possibly have a
short ad hoc meeting.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Marco Bernasocchi

Hi

On 15.10.19 16:30, Tim Sutton wrote:

I think Marco was also talking about having QField main repo moved to the QGIS.org GitHub repo (correct Marco?). Though I don’t think this needs to be a pre-requisite to being listed on the QGIS download page.

Indeed that is what we were talking about, two discussions have been mixed up in this thread. On one side there is the discussion about the download links, on the other side there is the discussion about QField becoming an official QGIS.org project (very much like QWC2 is) and replace for QGIS on android.

Whereas the discussion about download links can be easily tackled, the other one needs some thoughtful thinking and planing to be able to answer all open questions like the ones Saber asked. Obviously these cannot be answered after a 20minutes initial (and unprepared) chat with 1.5 PS members not there (Tim could unfortunately join late and Andreas had to type answers).

I suggest that we put this 2 discussions as main topic for the next PSC meeting.

Cheers

Marco

--
Marco Bernasocchi
OPENGIS.ch CEO

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

pcav
Hi all,

On 16/10/19 09:51, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:

> I suggest that we put this 2 discussions as main topic for the next PSC
> meeting.

fully agreed. Saber, you as well as other interested parties are welcome
to join.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Saber Razmjooei
I would be more than happy to participate and discuss the points raised in my previous email.

Kind regards
Saber

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 08:58, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

On 16/10/19 09:51, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:

> I suggest that we put this 2 discussions as main topic for the next PSC
> meeting.

fully agreed. Saber, you as well as other interested parties are welcome
to join.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Vincent Picavet (ml)
Hello,

On 15/10/2019 17:10, Saber Razmjooei wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> What should we exactly join up to? :)
>
> Current QGIS code repository offers the platform to collaborate. Here
> are some of the example of our recent works to make QGIS touch library
> (on the back of great work from OpenGIS) and static providers:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/109
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/149
>
> Additionally, we extended the SDK to support compilation of QGIS on iOS.

As far as I know, and under the disclaimer "not a lawyer", GPLv2+
applications are not allowed on the app store.

There are many levels of decisions required here :
A/ do we want to distribute our software on a platform which is clearly
hostile to the licence we use ? GPL hostility from Apple is something
which can not be denied.
B/ if so, is the distribution of a GPLv2+ software on the app store even
legal ? This is not as clear as it could
C/ if B has not be verified and stated as valid, is QGIS.org and the
QGIS project ready to take a legal risk, officially endorsing a GPL
application distributed on the app store ?

In our current knowledge, I would strongly be against QGIS.org and the
QGIS project supporting officially the iOS version of any software based
on QGIS. The legal risk is too high.

Should a study by an IP lawyer be made and published, that could ease a
decision. But I guess the cost would be quite high. If it validates
point B, then we would still have point A to evaluate.

> I had raised 2 questions in my initial email and would be interested to
> see how those scenarios would be handled if QField becomes the official
> QGIS mobile (Android) app?

Saber, as for question 2, I would personally be in favor of a plugin
system to access the mergin freemium service, for QField (or any app
endorsed by the QGIS project), instead of a core pull request. It would
also ease the maintenance.
If this system is optional in the installation, I have no argument
against having an official QGIS project application support it.
Especially if opensource alternatives exist.

Best regards,

Vincent

> Also a note about Input and data synchronisation, you can use your USB
> cable, Bluetooth, wifi, ... to sync the data and there is no need for
> our service. In the same way, you can completely avoid Oracle
> database data provider and use your PostGIS or Shapefile.
>
> Regards
> Saber
>

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 at 15:43, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     On 15/10/19 16:30, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
>     > That sounds like a very good approach to me too.
>     >
>     > I think Marco was also talking about having QField main repo moved to
>     > the QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org> GitHub repo (correct Marco?). Though I
>     > don’t think this needs to be a pre-requisite to being listed on
>     the QGIS
>     > download page.
>
>     I think we are all on the same line here. Of course we'll treat all
>     projects equally, so all other parts of QGIS broader ecosystem are
>     welcome to start discussing the steps to join.
>     Regards.
>
>     --
>     Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>     QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> Chair:
>     http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/

> Saber Razmjooei
> www.lutraconsulting.co.uk <http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk>
> +44 (0)7568 129733

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Régis Haubourg -2

Hi all

well we had the very same thoughts recently concerning the QWC2 suite which deserves to be listed as part of the QGIS ecosystem, and as a community driven project. It is already hosted in the github QGIS organisation, but is only mentionned in the mailing list's page [0]

This deserves to be documented in a dedicated page for web clients in the website.

Any objection to add one?

Regards,

Régis

On 2019-10-15 10:58, Saber Razmjooei wrote:

Dear PSC,

[...]

Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: [hidden email]
tél: 0033 184 257 870

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

pcav
Hi Vincent,
thanks for your thoughts

On 16/10/19 12:19, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:

> Should a study by an IP lawyer be made and published, that could ease a
> decision. But I guess the cost would be quite high. If it validates
> point B, then we would still have point A to evaluate.

is there any advice from the Free Software Foundation?
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

pcav
Indeed, the same arguments apply to web interfaces as well as mobile
apps, so I suggest discussing the whole issue together.
Thanks Régis.

On 16/10/19 12:21, Régis Haubourg wrote:

> [...]
>>>     barriers.
>>>
>>>     He haven't discussed your option "2" yet. It would be nice to
>>>     have the same synchronisation service work for QField, QGIS Roam
>>>     and Input.
>>>
>>>     Thanks for reaching out about this,
>>>
>>>     Andreas

>>> --
>>> Saber Razmjooei
>>> www.lutraconsulting.co.uk <http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/>
>>> +44 (0)7568 129733
>>

>> ---
>>
>> *Tim Sutton*

> Open Source GIS Expert / Water management
>
> mail: [hidden email]
> tél: 0033 184 257 870
> ---------------------------------
> http://oslandia.com/
>
> OSLANDIA IS AN INNOVATIVE COMPANY SPECIALIZED IN GIS ARCHITECTURE. WE
> PROVIDE SERVICE ON OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR WHICH WE ARE EDITORS OR

Hi Régis,

I absolutely agree that the web clients should also be listed on the download page, it is a major USP.

my vision for the download page would be:

- Desktop
-- Win
-- Lin
-- Mac
-- ...

- Mobile apps
-- Official:
--- QGIS on android [playstore link] - deprecated
-- 3rd party:
--- QField [Playtore link, (future Windows link), (optional future iOS link)]
--- Input [Playstore link, optional AppStore link]
--- Roam [link]

- Webclients
-- Official:
--- QWC2
-- 3rd party
--- Lizmap
--- g3w
--- nextgis
--- ...

- Server
-- Official
--- link to install docs
--- (Future official docker)
-- 3rd party
--- docker openquake
--- docker Oslandia
--- docker 3Liz
--- docker c2c
--- ...

I'll present this at the next PSC so we can directly discuss how/what and follow up from there ok?

Cheers

Marco

[...]

Martin Dobias
Hi Vincent

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Vincent Picavet (ml)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As far as I know, and under the disclaimer "not a lawyer", GPLv2+
> applications are not allowed on the app store.

The reality is that GPLv2+ apps _are_ present on their app store - and
those are also well-known apps like VLC which Apple would remove from
the store if they were against their terms & conditions. I am not a
lawyer either, but these are my data points which I can use. I have
read a bunch of discussion threads about GPL and App Store and there's
no clear conclusion, so the presence of GPL apps in App Store is the
closest to a proof it is OK.

Also, there are other means of installing apps on iOS than just going
through the app store, e.g. using https://altstore.io/ - they are just
less convenient for the users. But my point is that iOS != App Store.

> There are many levels of decisions required here :
> A/ do we want to distribute our software on a platform which is clearly
> hostile to the licence we use ? GPL hostility from Apple is something
> which can not be denied.
> B/ if so, is the distribution of a GPLv2+ software on the app store even
> legal ? This is not as clear as it could
> C/ if B has not be verified and stated as valid, is QGIS.org and the
> QGIS project ready to take a legal risk, officially endorsing a GPL
> application distributed on the app store ?
>
> In our current knowledge, I would strongly be against QGIS.org and the
> QGIS project supporting officially the iOS version of any software based
> on QGIS. The legal risk is too high.

Again, iOS != App Store. Having iOS version does not necessarily mean
it needs to go through App Store (although that would be a better
option).

> Should a study by an IP lawyer be made and published, that could ease a
> decision. But I guess the cost would be quite high. If it validates
> point B, then we would still have point A to evaluate.

The target of the effort is to make QGIS available to more users. Just
because they use phones or tablets of a company we do not like (for
various valid reasons), shall we ignore such a large group?

Anyway I would suggest to move this discussion to a separate thread so
that we do not hijack the original thread :-)

Cheers
Martin

Re: QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Vincent

On 16 Oct 2019, at 11:19, Vincent Picavet (ml) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

For me the answer is ‘yes’ - I think we can make access to the source code, build processes etc. clear and easy for any user from within their app and by providing the app in the iOS we do not remove any of their basic freedoms.

B/ if so, is the distribution of a GPLv2+ software on the app store even
legal ? This is not as clear as it could

It seems to be ok for VLC and most likely many others:

C/ if B has not be verified and stated as valid, is QGIS.org and the
QGIS project ready to take a legal risk, officially endorsing a GPL
application distributed on the app store ?

Let’s first establish that there is a risk.

In our current knowledge, I would strongly be against QGIS.org and the
QGIS project supporting officially the iOS version of any software based
on QGIS. The legal risk is too high.

I would be strongly in favour of finding a way to get it into the App Store for the simple pragmatic reason of wanting as many people as possible to be able to freely use QGIS and its derivatives on whichever platform they choose.

Regards

Tim

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Hi Marco,

On 16/10/19 12:58, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:
> I'll present this at the next PSC so we can directly discuss how/what
> and follow up from there ok?
OK!
Thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

QGIS on iOS was QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Marco Bernasocchi

Just moving the tread, and notice on VLC.

Vlc on Appstore is NOT GPL [3] it is MPLv2

VLC was re licensed to bi-license (MPLv2 and GPLv2+) [2] after an humongous work by Jean-Baptiste Kempf [0] after being removed by apple from the App store [1]. I'm no lawyer either and already got too many gray hair from thinking about this. It is the main reason why we never focused on iOS with QField.

Fortunately as Martin sait iOS != Appstore and there are alternatives.

Cheers

Marco

[0] http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2012/How-to-properly-relicense-a-large-open-source-project

[1] http://obamapacman.com/2011/01/vicious-nokia-employee-gets-vlc-removed-from-apple-app-store/

[2] https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

[3] https://www.videolan.org/press/ios2out.html

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Re: QGIS on iOS was QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Saber Razmjooei
Here are some more examples:

https://github.com/torvalds/subsurface-for-dirk (the main developer seems to have contributed to some other FOSS too! ;))

Regards

[...]