QGIS and WFS limitations

Lars I. Nielsen, LIFA A/S

Hi list.

We’re using QGIS 3.4.9 with WFS, and it seems like WFS calls with filters are being sent using GET, not POST.

Which means that a non-trivial filter eventually generates a too long URL at some point. I’m currently having problems with an URL with a length of just 1958 characters. An URL with length 1713 characters appears to be working.

I can see that the issue was implemented 6 years ago according to the issue tracker (Feature request #6535), so why isn’t it working properly now ??

Did the developers forget to implement WFS POST in 3.x ?

Med venlig hilsen

Lars I. Nielsen, LIFA A/S
GIS-konsulent, FME Certified Professional
Geoinformatik
Beskrivelse: Beskrivelse: C:\Users\lin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\signatures\284x82-3741133837051347070

6313 6800

@

6313 6849

www.lifa.dk

2492 4866

CVR

20937289

Beskrivelse: Beskrivelse: C:\Users\lin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\signatures\21x21-3019966288736195652
Følg os på LinkedIn og læs de seneste nyheder fra LIFA A/S

Re: QGIS and WFS limitations

Even Rouault-2
Lars,

https://issues.qgis.org/issues/6535 is about QGIS server side, and here if I
understand well, you are considering QGIS client side, so completely different
parts of the code

> Did the developers forget to implement WFS POST in 3.x ?

It seems https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/32348 was created recently about
that.
If you can add a way to reproduce your issue in that ticket (server + QGIS
filter), that could be useful

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: QGIS and WFS limitations

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hi Lars,

Thank you for bringing that up. There has been a feature request opened for this - or at least something very similar - recently (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/32348.

The next step will be that someone starts working on this. It is possible that someone will volunteer his precious time. This is unlikely to happen if developers are put under general suspicion of being forgetful and lazy. There is also the other possibility that someone that has the skills and availability is contracted to work on this.

Looking forward to a constructive discussion!

Best regards

Matthias

On 10/29/19 3:11 PM, Lars I. Nielsen, LIFA A/S wrote:

[...]

Thanks Even.

I always thought that the QGIS client and QGIS server shared a common code base?

But if it's the server side WFS implementation that does POST, it of course doesn't mean that the WFS client side also does, although it would be a natural assumption to have both run in parallel.

And the feature request I referred to just state that it concerns "QGIS Application", which I assumed to mean the client.

Regards
Lars

--
Spatialys - Geospatial professional services http://www.spatialys.com