Quantcast

QGIS and 3D

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

QGIS and 3D

giulianc
hi all,

I'm new to the QGIS;

I like to explore the capabilities of QGIS towards 3D performances,
I intend vector 3D;

I think of:
- visualization (orthogonal, axonometric and perspective views)
- sections (along with any plane, canonic or skew)
- volume and surface calculation
and so on;

I know that these operations are already possibile with raster layers
and I did'nt intend to propose a flame for the primality of vector
and/or raster;

I think only to analyze and eventually build some tools for managing 3D
models, leaving to the user the choice of vector / raster selection;

I think that the possibility of managing, georeferencing and analyse
point clouds from laserscanner, sfm, etc, could be an interesting
chance;

From that point of view I'm curious of the presence in the QGIS API of
some features 3D: Line3D, Point3D, QgsTINInterpolator, Vector3D;
because I dont know the C/C++ and I can't see the original
documentation, where can I find some documentation in pythonish mode
(the pyqgis cookbook doesnt treat that subject) ? Which are the
development purposes about 3D?

sorry for my bad english, thanks in advance, best regards,

giuliano curti
melegnano, milano, italia

_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

Vincent Picavet (ml)
Hello Giuliano,

As for now, there is no support for 3D in QGIS, be it for visualization, or
internally.

If you want to have some 3D features for your GIS you can :
* use qgis2threejs to visualize layers on top of a MNT with a WebGL browser
* Use the 3D features of grass through QGIS
* Use latest PostGIS versions, which allow you to manipulate 3D objects.
PostGIS + SFCGAL lets you do some computations on 3D objects with SQL. You can
send SQL commands from within QGIS. See this video for an example and
visualization of 3D objects with Horao (QGIS plugin to view PostGIS 3D
objects) :
http://vimeo.com/74869530

There will probably be at some point an effort to support 3D objects in the low
level QGIS code, and Marco already worked a bit on it I think. But this is a
heavy-lifting task and a lot more work and funding are needed. Maybe Marco can
elaborate a bit more on this.

Vincent

Le vendredi 24 janvier 2014 12:46:55, giulianc51 a écrit :

> hi all,
>
> I'm new to the QGIS;
>
> I like to explore the capabilities of QGIS towards 3D performances,
> I intend vector 3D;
>
> I think of:
> - visualization (orthogonal, axonometric and perspective views)
> - sections (along with any plane, canonic or skew)
> - volume and surface calculation
> and so on;
>
> I know that these operations are already possibile with raster layers
> and I did'nt intend to propose a flame for the primality of vector
> and/or raster;
>
> I think only to analyze and eventually build some tools for managing 3D
> models, leaving to the user the choice of vector / raster selection;
>
> I think that the possibility of managing, georeferencing and analyse
> point clouds from laserscanner, sfm, etc, could be an interesting
> chance;
>
> From that point of view I'm curious of the presence in the QGIS API of
> some features 3D: Line3D, Point3D, QgsTINInterpolator, Vector3D;
> because I dont know the C/C++ and I can't see the original
> documentation, where can I find some documentation in pythonish mode
> (the pyqgis cookbook doesnt treat that subject) ? Which are the
> development purposes about 3D?
>
> sorry for my bad english, thanks in advance, best regards,
>
> giuliano curti
> melegnano, milano, italia
>
> _______________________________________________
> Qgis-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

giulianc
Il giorno Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:23:05 +0100
Vincent Picavet <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hello Giuliano,

Hello Vincent,
thank you for your replay :-)

> .....
> If you want to have some 3D features for your GIS you can :
> * use qgis2threejs to visualize layers on top of a MNT with a WebGL
> browser

yes, I know but now I'm more interested in the analysis (section,
volume, surface, etc) than visualization;


> ......
> * Use latest PostGIS versions, which allow you to manipulate 3D
> objects. PostGIS + SFCGAL lets you do some computations on 3D objects
> with SQL. You can send SQL commands from within QGIS. See this video
> for an example and visualization of 3D objects with Horao (QGIS
> plugin to view PostGIS 3D objects) :
> http://vimeo.com/74869530

okay, it's good; I will  have a look at PostGIS + SFCGAL + Horao, it
seems to be very interesting;


> .....
>
> Vincent

thank you very much, best regards,
giuliano curti

_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

gene
In reply to this post by giulianc
You can also use Python in the Python console, look at Using/visualizing 3D data (Z values)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

giohappy
Thanks for remembering us of it. I couldn't retrieve it from the ML!
Visvis seems a good approach to the visualization of 3D data in QGIS. I imagine it won't be as performant as native implementations (like osg, used by Horao) but it would be probably more portable and easy to mantain...

giovanni


2014/1/25 gene <[hidden email]>
You can also use Python in the Python console, look at  Using/visualizing 3D
data (Z values)
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Using-visualizing-3D-data-Z-values-td4126375.html#a5009086>



--
View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-and-3D-tp5099845p5099985.html
Sent from the Quantum GIS - Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer



--
Giovanni Allegri
http://about.me/giovanniallegri
blog: http://blog.spaziogis.it
GEO+ geomatica in Italia http://bit.ly/GEOplus

_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

giulianc
In reply to this post by gene
Il giorno Sat, 25 Jan 2014 00:52:50 -0800 (PST)
gene <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Hi Martin,

> You can also use Python in the Python console, look at
> Using/visualizing 3D data (Z values)
> <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Using-visualizing-3D-data-Z-values-td4126375.html#a5009086>  

thank you very much, I watched it last night, very interesting :-) I'll
came back to the issue for info

bye,
giuliano curti

_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

Etienne Tourigny-3
In reply to this post by giohappy
How about using matplotlib's mplot3d ? There are already a number of plugins using matplotlib.



On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM, G. Allegri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for remembering us of it. I couldn't retrieve it from the ML!
Visvis seems a good approach to the visualization of 3D data in QGIS. I imagine it won't be as performant as native implementations (like osg, used by Horao) but it would be probably more portable and easy to mantain...

giovanni


2014/1/25 gene <[hidden email]>
You can also use Python in the Python console, look at  Using/visualizing 3D
data (Z values)
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Using-visualizing-3D-data-Z-values-td4126375.html#a5009086>



--
View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-and-3D-tp5099845p5099985.html
Sent from the Quantum GIS - Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer



--
Giovanni Allegri
http://about.me/giovanniallegri
blog: http://blog.spaziogis.it
GEO+ geomatica in Italia http://bit.ly/GEOplus

_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer


_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

gene
The solution in Python reported  uses matplotlib/mplot3d, Visvis  and even mayavi.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

Etienne Tourigny-3


On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:20 PM, gene <[hidden email]> wrote:
The solution in Python reported  uses matplotlib/mplot3d, Visvis  and even
mayavi <http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/>  .




--
View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-and-3D-tp5099845p5100260.html
Sent from the Quantum GIS - Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer


_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

gene
Among others:

 In French:

- PyQGIS (QGIS 2): les coupes géologiques (colorisation d'un profil topographique élaboré à partir d'un MNT en fonction des couleurs d'un raster et placement des points d'intersection avec les limites des couches géologiques) (PyQGIS (QGIS 2) geological cross-sections ("colorization" of a topographic profile with the colors of a geological map and placement of the points of intersection with the boundaries of geological layers)).

In Spanish:

- QGIS, visualización 3D de capas vectoriales con Python

but also in this list, for example:

- visualizing 3D data (Z values) or data with z attribute: a solution
- For geologists: 3D geological boreholes

and in GIS Stack Exchange, for example:

- TIN Interpolation using a vector layer
- Create cross section with polygon intersects in QGIS

- with only Python:

- Display a georeferenced DEM surface in 3D matplotlib
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

giohappy
Shouldn't we create e wiki page about QGIS and 3D? We could gather these links there.

giovann


2014-01-27 gene <[hidden email]>
Among others:

 In French:

-  PyQGIS (QGIS 2): les coupes géologiques (colorisation d'un profil
topographique élaboré à partir d'un MNT en fonction des couleurs d'un raster
et placement des points d'intersection avec les limites des couches
géologiques)
<http://www.portailsig.org/content/pyqgis-qgis-2-les-coupes-geologiques-colorisation-d-un-profil-topographique-elabore-partir-d>
(PyQGIS (QGIS 2) geological cross-sections ("colorization" of a topographic
profile with the colors of a geological map and placement of the points of
intersection with the boundaries of geological layers)).

In Spanish:

-  QGIS, visualización 3D de capas vectoriales con Python
<http://geotux.tuxfamily.org/index.php/en/geo-blogs/item/315-qgis-visualizacion-3d-de-capas-vectoriales-con-python>

but also in this list, for example:

-  visualizing 3D data (Z values) or data with z attribute: a solution
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/visualizing-3D-data-Z-values-or-data-with-z-attribute-a-solution-td5005360.html>
-  For geologists: 3D geological boreholes
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/For-geologists-3D-geological-boreholes-td5007085.html>

and in GIS Stack Exchange, for example:

-  TIN Interpolation using a vector layer
<http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/41891/tin-interpolation-using-a-vector-layer/41922#41922>
-  Create cross section with polygon intersects in QGIS
<http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/83605/create-cross-section-with-polygon-intersects-in-qgis/83619#83619>

- with only Python:

-  Display a georeferenced DEM surface in 3D matplotlib
<http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/66367/display-a-georeferenced-dem-surface-in-3d-matplotlib/66440#66440>




--
View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-and-3D-tp5099845p5100283.html
Sent from the Quantum GIS - Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer



--
Giovanni Allegri
http://about.me/giovanniallegri
blog: http://blog.spaziogis.it
GEO+ geomatica in Italia http://bit.ly/GEOplus

_______________________________________________
Qgis-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: QGIS and 3D

gene
And for 3D geology, you have also the  qProf  plugin  of  Mauro Alberti and Marco Zanieri  which use also matplotlib (for topographic profile and geological cross section)
Loading...