QGIS an American product ?

yvesm
Hi All,

I just read from a local bulletin that QGIS was mostly developed by
American developers.  Looking at the list of developers and contributing
developers for QGIS and also the list of commercial support entities, I
don't quite see a domination of Americans.  I'm not trying to spur a
flamewar here.  I'm just a bit surprised a project like QGIS is being
tagged as "American" when it mostly appears to be an international
project, like all large successful FOSS projects, but maybe it *is* and
American-led project?

TIA,

Yves Moisan

One day maybe we'll get rid of flags ...  (It's pretty awkward compared
to Lennon's Imagine lyrics :-) )

Re: QGIS an American product ?

Gary Sherman-2
Where did you read this (URL?)??

QGIS has never been promoted as an American product. It was founded
in the US but
if you look at the commits to the source repository, there are more
international
developers than US.  Its success is the result of global effort by
developers, contributors,
and supporters.

I believe this is just an unfortunate characterization by someone who
may not
have all the facts.

-gary
On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:00 AM, Yves Moisan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just read from a local bulletin that QGIS was mostly developed by
> American developers.  Looking at the list of developers and
> contributing
> developers for QGIS and also the list of commercial support
> entities, I
> don't quite see a domination of Americans.  I'm not trying to spur a
> flamewar here.  I'm just a bit surprised a project like QGIS is being
> tagged as "American" when it mostly appears to be an international
> project, like all large successful FOSS projects, but maybe it *is*
> and
> American-led project?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee
Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
   *Geospatial Hosting
   *Web Site Hosting
"We work virtually everywhere"

Re: QGIS an American product ?

yvesm
Gary Sherman a écrit :
> Where did you read this (URL?)??

Hi Gary,

I'm not gonna tell you ;-).  I'll tell the person directly so he can
correct the article.

> I believe this is just an unfortunate characterization by someone who
> may not have all the facts.

That's also what I thought but I wanted to check with the QGIS community
first.  Thanx for your answer.

Yves Moisan

Re: QGIS an American product ?

Tim Sutton
Hi

...and some of us cant even remember what nationality we are any more... :-)

Regards

Tim

2007/10/31, Yves Moisan <[hidden email]>:

> Gary Sherman a écrit :
> > Where did you read this (URL?)??
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> I'm not gonna tell you ;-).  I'll tell the person directly so he can
> correct the article.
>

> > I believe this is just an unfortunate characterization by someone who
> > may not have all the facts.
>
> That's also what I thought but I wanted to check with the QGIS community
> first.  Thanx for your answer.
>
> Yves Moisan

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS an American product ?

yvesm

> I don't have that problem.  I'm a Texan.  :-)

You guys rock.

Yves