[QGIS-ZA-user] Upcoming release of QGIS3

[QGIS-ZA-user] Upcoming release of QGIS3

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi

QGIS3 is currently in feature freeze (no new features are being added,
just fixing bugs and code revision). There is usually a lot of fanfare
that goes with the release of a major version of QGIS.

We will obviously have a change-log that highlights all the nice
features that have been added and we can track various blog articles
that have been written by developers of certain features.

The best way to explore a new version is by looking at the shortcomings
(sometimes it's just us users not exploring the full power of a program)
of the current versions of QGIS.

* Do you have any niggling issues that you have been experiencing with
the current version of QGIS that you so long wished could be better.

* Do you have anything that you have tried to do with the current
version of QGIS and realized this task is impossible in QGIS.

* Do you have any workflows that are currently tedious in the current
versions of QGIS.

If you have experienced any of the above issues please ask the list and
we can use this to explore how QGIS3 is going to make our working lives
better.

Regards

Re: Upcoming release of QGIS3

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hey thanks Admire,

We love your 'Bring it on!' attitude just when you are already in the thick of it ;-)

Personally I think QGIS can jump through every hoop and more, but you asked so I'll share my current sukkel.

I like it that we can fill a new object/record/field with a Default value in the Edit Widget properties dialogue out of Layer properties>Fields.  Specifically I can call an environment variable such as @user_full_name - very useful to see who added that new object.  But now I'd like to know who performed the most recent edit on that item, i.e. auto re-populate a field when an edit is saved...surely when it can perform this task (or perhaps it already does) then QGIS can be complete!

Best wishes for the new release and thanks for all the help!

On 31 January 2018 at 10:07, admire via qgis-za-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Berens, Pr.GISc
SAGC No.1308
+27 (0)82 567 9322

Re: Upcoming release of QGIS3

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi Chris

To paraphrase one of recent support responses:

You have a few options:
  1. Try the Autofields plugin
  2. Add the field as a virtual field based on an expression (such as $length)
  3. Use the built-in functionality once you move to QGIS 3
  4. Or if you’re running on a database, you can get the DB to auto-update your field.
Gavin