[QGIS-ZA-user] Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

[QGIS-ZA-user] Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi all

The QGIS conference in Coruna has just completed and there has been a
lot of issues discussed and one of the major sticking points was the
release cycle overview. The Swiss user group requested

the slowing down of the release cycle from 3 times per year to 2 times
per year. They cited the following reasons:

* QGIS has reached a level of maturity where there aren't so many
featured missing to justify the fast release pace in order to allow
missing features to reach users quickly.

* Many organizations can't keep up with the fast pace of QGIS release,
meaning the many QGIS releases are tested by fewer people who live on
the "cutting edge".

* It reduces the pressure on developers, release managers, documenters,
packagers and system administration to roll out QGIS in their organizations.

* The time window for testing of new releases is really short, which
results in often unusable 3.x.0 releases. In reality, many organizations
have to wait for two or three bugfix releases until the major release
becomes usable for them.

Another issue that was discussed was the difficulty of users upgrading
the point releases, especially for windows. A typical example being the
LTR version where users would install 2.18.0 and maintain this until
migrating to the next LTR version whilst the 2.18.x went all the way to
2.18.21

What is your take on the issues listed above?

Regards

Admire

Re: Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi Admire,
Hope you are well.

I agree that too many releases per year is not good.
Both from an deployment/implementation point of view, and a perception of their stability or "need".

My mind therefore tends for towards 2 per year.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Zoltan

On 2019/03/20 11:51, admire via qgis-za-user wrote:
[...]

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Qatar:  +974 5083 2722     www.geograph.co.za

Re: Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

QGIS-za-user mailing list

Hello All,

IMHO a slower release cycle from 3 to 2 will not make much of a difference to the users and I agree with the Swiss UG's points.

As QGIS user on Ubuntu I "live on the cutting edge" with automatic updates (point releases) being installed regularly and I must say I probably won't even notice any new bugs, or test new functions, as with most users we are probably not even using 10% of the features available on a regular basis. The upgrades on Windows are a bit more of a pain and I found that I would probably only upgrade once a year anyway.

For organisations it would on the other hand make sense to not upgrade too often and maybe wait for the major releases, if there are no major bug fixes/issues/new features that would require a point upgrade.

So I tend to agree with the Swiss UG to slow down and give the developers more time to release stable upgrades.

My 2c.

Immo

P.S. Watch this space for an announcement and invitation to our next UG meeting soon!

[...]

Immo F. Blecher
Street:
36 Saffraan Ave., Die Boord, Stellenbosch, 7613, South Africa
Postal: PO Box 74, Lynedoch, 7603, South Africa
Cell: +27 83 272 6791 | Fax: +27 86 736 3302 Email: [hidden email] | [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Internet: http://www.blecher.co.za/

Contact me: [hidden email] immoblecher

Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

Re: Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Agree

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Good afternoon

Personally I agree with the sentiment and prefer less updates.

Not sure if anyone else have issues with a fairly new release (3.4.4.), but QGIS is prone to crash more (especially when you quit - this is on a 64-bit Win 7 system) and the SCP plugin has lost some functionality (I'm getting error messages when performing accuracy assessment).

I feel like the previous version might have been more stable.

Regards

Carlo

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:51 AM admire via qgis-za-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Carlo Fourie | GIS Practitioner/Geologist
Cell: +27(0)72 376 7343

Re: Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi Team

I am having a challenge with QGIS 3.6. I installed QGIS 3.6 and it was working perfectly well. Now my challenge is most of the menus that were under the Raster Menu just disappeared and I cant have access them.

What can we do to solve this?

Regards

James Magidi

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 13:19, Carlo Fourie via qgis-za-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi James,

Go to your processing Toolbox and click the "Options" button.There will be a "Menus" item with a button next to it saying "Reset to defaults". That should do the trick. This is a bug which I have noticed if you change something in the "Providers".

Hope this helps.

Immo

On 2019/03/26 17:40, James Magidi via qgis-za-user wrote:
[...]

Thank you Immo

You are a life saver

Cheers

James