[QGIS-ZA-user] QGIS User Group South Africa - 2nd Announcement for the 5th Meeting

[QGIS-ZA-user] QGIS User Group South Africa - 2nd Announcement for the 5th Meeting

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Google Forms
Having trouble with viewing or submitting this form?
Fill in using Google Forms
Good Afternoon All,

This is our 2nd announcement for our 5th QGIS South Africa User Group meeting in Cape Town and Midrand. If you can make the date for (both meetings) next week Friday 23 November you can still register by filling in the attached form or by clicking on the link above.

The provisional agenda for the Cape Town meeting will be:

09:30 - 10:00 Registration
10:00 - 10:30 Feedback from the previous QGIS UG meetings and general discussions
10:30 - 11:00 Technical Talk 1 - Kevin Musungu: Change Detection in the Horticultural Region of Cape Town using LANDSAT Imagery
11:00 - 11:30 Coffee/Tea break
11:30 - 12:00 Technical Talk 2 - Immo Blecher: Using the Atlas feature to present groundwater quality per Western Cape primary catchment with feature count - a challenge
12:00 - 12:30 Technical Talk 3 - Dean Ollis: A few tips and tricks in accessing and working with freely available biodiversity data in QGIS
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
13:30 - 14:30 - Frank Sokolic: Georeferencing and Mosaicking Aerial Photographs
14:30 - Open ending: Questions and Answers around QGIS/FOSSGIS (technical, how-to's, tricks, tips etc.) e.g. Dean Ollis: How to perform a few functions in QGIS that are easily achievable in ArcGIS but do not seem so easy to do in QGIS.

The venue in Cape Town is:
Dept. Rural Development and Land Reform, 19 Rhodes Avenue, Van der Sterr Building, Mowbray, 7705

The provisional agenda for the Midrand meeting will be:

09:30 - 10:00 Registration
10:00 - 10:30 Feedback from the previous QGIS UG meetings and general discussions
10:30 - 11:15 Technical Talk 1 - Gavin Fleming: How QGIS was used to support the Cape Town Marathon and Cape Town Carnival
11:15 - 11:45 Coffee/Tea break
11:45 - 12:30 Technical Talk 2
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
13:30 - 14:30 Technical Talk 3 - Demos of plugins and general QGIS functions
14:30 - Open ending: Questions and Answers around QGIS/FOSSGIS (technical, how-to's, tricks, tips etc.)

The venue in Midrand is:
Eskom Academy of Learning, Dale Rd, Komati House Building (security will direct you)

We would also still like you to let us know if and what you would like to present at the (Midrand!) meetings. There are always little issues and tips and tricks we would love to hear about! The final agendas with the presentation titles will be sent out next week.

Regards and See You All there!
Immo Blecher and Gerhard Brits
QGIS User Group South Africa - Meeting
Please indicate below whether you would like to attend our 5th South African QGIS User Group Meetings in Gauteng/Cape Town. Please do not register if you know now already that you will most probably not be able to make it. The organisation of these meetings takes a lot of time and effort which is dependent on the number of participants.

You are encouraged to bring your PC/laptop to demonstrate something you have done or to try and find answers to problems you encounter. See you all there!

    QGIS User Group South Africa

    Captionless Image
Create your own Google Form

Re: QGIS User Group South Africa - 2nd Announcement for the 5th Meeting

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi Gavin/Immo,
Nice line-up for the meeting, sorry I can't be there.

Gavin: Please suggest running these meetings under a GISSA banner, because that way you will get CPD points without having to apply and pay for them through SAGC.
Get some form of endorsement from National Council, and that should be enough.
(I don't have my 'CPD Rules' at hand, but have a quick glance through them - and  the Geomatics Act as it stipulates who may dish out CPD points - I think GISSA can)

With CPD points you may be able to attract municipal employees and that would enhance your stealth marketing of QGIS & Open Source :-) :-0 :-)

Regards,
Zol

On 2018/11/13 10:18, Immo Blecher via qgis-za-user wrote:
[...]

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Qatar:  +974 5083 2722     www.geograph.co.za