[QGIS-ZA-user] Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

[QGIS-ZA-user] Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi Listers,
I posted my request below, on the OSGEO-Africa list 2 days ago, but
received absolute silence - so to those of you here that are also on
that list, apologies for the cross-post.

Does anyone know where/if   I can find long term historic weather data
for Malmesbury area?  ( 33°28'4.86"S   18°42'33.70"E - no, this is not
his house   )
Ideally looking for 10 to 20+    years historic hourly temperature records.

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Re: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi Zoltan,
I reckon your first port of call is SA Weather. Lat I recall there was a Charlotte McBride or an Elsa de Jager. However I don't think the data ids freely available.
Regards
Neil

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 8:48 AM, Zoltan via qgis-za-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Listers,
I posted my request below, on the OSGEO-Africa list 2 days ago, but received absolute silence - so to those of you here that are also on that list, apologies for the cross-post.

Does anyone know where/if   I can find long term historic weather data for Malmesbury area?  ( 33°28'4.86"S   18°42'33.70"E - no, this is not his house   )
Ideally looking for 10 to 20+    years historic hourly temperature records.

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Re: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list

Another option (although I’m not sure as to the resolution of the data) is to use the weatherData package in R – I quickly tried now again to see what’s available in Malmesbury but struggled to install it because of a package dependency issue but if you comfortable in R I’d recommend giving this a shot

I’ve used SAWeather data before and you’ll need to sign some data usage clauses but it can be done

cheers

john

Re: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list

Hi Zoltan,

You can also try downloading more than temperatures at https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/archive/export/malmesbury_south-africa_3364346, which is also not for free, but has 30 years + of weather data from simulations, but it should be pretty accurate, depending on what you want to do with it.

Regards

Immo

On 21/06/2018 10:36, Neil Falconer via qgis-za-user wrote:
[...]

Immo F. Blecher
Street:
56 Saffraan Ave., Stellenbosch, 7613, South Africa
Postal: PO Box 74, Lynedoch, 7603, South Africa
Cell: +27 83 272 6791 | Fax: +27 86 736 3302 Email: [hidden email] | [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Internet: http://www.blecher.co.za/

Contact me: [hidden email] immoblecher

Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

Re: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi

Maybe contact the Agriculture Research Centre. They have some good historic weather information.

Regards

Re: FOUND Thank you: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi List,
Thanks to Neil, Immo and Gerhard for your replies.

The Meteo Blue site looks perfect for what my friend is looking for.

Regards,
Zoltan

On 2018/06/21 11:29, Immo Blecher via qgis-za-user wrote:

[...]

I used a lot of climate data for my M.Sc. (Using climate to predict the start and end of the malaria transmission season in northern KwaZulu-Natal) and mainly used the South African Weather Service. These days however it is a pay as you go service for historical data unless they can become co-publishers on your work (for supplying the data).

I further used a lot of the National and Provincial Natural Reserves since they always have good records.

A lot of airports also keep good records.

If you get stuck, try the drought monitoring centre in Harare in Zimbabwe, but you might have to spend a day or two working through the heaps of information on the Linux servers there.

I can also strongly recommend talking to Prof. Mark Jury at the University of Zululand as an expert in climate modelling and where to find data for the area. He might also refer you to Prof./Dr. Dirk Landman (although I am not sure which institution these days he is serving with great pleasure). Another great resource is Dr. Luke Sandham at North West University or Dr. Kobus van der Walt at the same institution - although Dr. van der Walt is more a hydrologist then climatologist, he might be able to assist.

You can also try the Water Research Council (WRC).

Wishing you the best in your hunt for the data!

Regards,
Burnie Nawn
Lead Consultant

C: 0721345352 | F: 0866132741 | T: 0126617444 | E-mail: [hidden email]
Address: P.O. Box 67387, Highveld, 0169

Disclaimer:
The e-mail and attachments are confidential and intended only for selected recipients. If you have received it in error, you may not in any way disclose or rely on
the contents. You may not keep a copy or distribute the e-mail. Should you receive it, immediately notify the sender of the error and delete the e-mail.
Also note that this form of communication is not secure, it can be intercepted, and may not necessarily be free of errors and viruses in spite of reasonable efforts
to secure this medium.

© Copyright Reserved

Maybe contact the Agriculture Research Centre. They have some good historic weather information.

Regards

Re: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list
You can also get median term weather data from Elsenberg’s rest services by adding them to the QGIS browser under

ArcGisMapServer

Use this url when adding the connection:

Once you have added it you will see the layers listed like this:

Once you have added the desired layers you can use QGIS Processing tools to extract values at specific points.

Regards

Tim

On 21 Jun 2018, at 11:22, John Grewar SAEHP via qgis-za-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list

Hi Tim

Although the Elsenburg  map services are publically visible, we are not promoting or allowing direct public usage.  All users must please refrain from doing so.  The data from the SA Atlas of Climatology and Agrohydrology is available for download from the SA Risk & Vulnerability Atlas:  http://sarva2.dirisa.org/

Regards

F.C. Basson

GISc Technologist

Research Support Services

Department of Agriculture

Western Cape Government

Tel: 021 808 5416

Fax: 021 808 5380

E-mail: [hidden email]

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

"All views or opinions expressed in this electronic message and its attachments are the view of the sender and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Western Cape Government (the WCG). No employee of the WCG is entitled to conclude a binding contract on behalf of the WCG unless he/she is an accounting officer of the WCG, or his or her authorised representative. The information contained in this message and its attachments may be confidential or privileged and is for the use of the named recipient only, except where the sender specifically states otherwise. If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone."

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.

Re: Long term historic temperature data for Malmsbury, Western Cape, South Africa

QGIS-za-user mailing list
Hi

Oops my apologies FC and thank you for sharing the source link!

Tim Sutton
Co-founder of Kartoza
Ex-QGIS project chairman

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net