QGIS Server and QWC2

pblottiere-2
Dear PSC,

We have been testing various available QGIS web clients, and we think that having
some online demos would be a good asset for the project. Considering that QWC2 [0]
is currently on the QGIS github organization and that a demonstration repository [1]
is already provided with a variety of working examples, it could be an excellent
starting point.

For now, the qgis4.qgis.org server is dedicated to QGIS Server: OGC
certification (continuous integration for WFS and WMS tests and online QGIS
Server instances for the certification process) as well as performance tests
to monitor regressions. With this in mind, what do you think about deploying
QWC2 examples on qgis4.qgis.org server? If you agree with this approach, I
can take care of it in the coming days.

All the best,

Paul

[0] https://github.com/qgis/qwc2
[1] https://github.com/qgis/qwc2-demo-app

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

pcav
Hi Paul,

On 25/03/19 17:20, pblottiere wrote:

> |Dear PSC, We have been testing various available QGIS web clients, and
> we think that having some online demos would be a good asset for the
> project. Considering that QWC2 [0] is currently on the QGIS github
> organization and that a demonstration repository [1] is already provided
> with a variety of working examples, it could be an excellent starting
> point. For now, the qgis4.qgis.org server is dedicated to QGIS Server:
> OGC certification (continuous integration for WFS and WMS tests and
> online QGIS Server instances for the certification process) as well as
> performance tests to monitor regressions. With this in mind, what do you
> think about deploying QWC2 examples on qgis4.qgis.org server? If you
> agree with this approach, I can take care of it in the coming days. All
> the best, Paul [0] https://github.com/qgis/qwc2 [1]
> https://github.com/qgis/qwc2-demo-app|

I appreciate this proposal a lot, thanks for raising it, and for your
offer of thelp; wouldn't this impact the reliability of performance
measurements?
In case we decide, I think it would be fair to open the same to other
clients (only those specific to qgis server IMHO).
Regards.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Paul,

On Mon, 25. Mar 2019 at 17:20:04 +0100, pblottiere wrote:
> With this in mind, what do you think about deploying QWC2 examples on qgis4.qgis.org server?
> If you agree with this approach, I can take care of it in the coming days.
> All the best, Paul [0] https://github.com/qgis/qwc2 [1]
> https://github.com/qgis/qwc2-demo-app|

How does that interfere with the performance tests?

We left qgis4 out of consideration for other stuff, because we didn't want to
put load on it to avoid this.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
GF: Juergen Fischer, Nils Kutscher HR: Amtsgericht Aurich HRB 100827
Datenschutzerklaerung: https://www.norbit.de/83/

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

pblottiere-2
Hi Paolo and Jürgen,

> In case we decide, I think it would be fair to open the same to other
> clients (only those specific to qgis server IMHO).
+1

> wouldn't this impact the reliability of performance
> measurements?
> How does that interfere with the performance tests?

Actually, I had the same problematic with online instances of QGIS
Server for certification process. Performance tests take about 3 hours
per day (for now but it may grow if we add more tests), so these online
instances are deactivated just before performance tests and reactivated
just after.

So, I was thinking about doing the same thing for QGIS Server clients (I
could add a message to indicate available time slots on a main page). I
realize that it's not an ideal situation, but an uptime of 87.5% is
better than nothing at all :). The perfect solution would be to deploy
these clients on another server, but I'm not sure it's really necessary
for now. Moreover, I have sudo rights on qgis4.qgis.org server, so I can
work on it without bothering anyone :).

What do you think?

Thanks for your interest.

Regards.

Paul

On 3/25/19 6:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On 25/03/19 17:20, pblottiere wrote:
>> |Dear PSC, We have been testing various available QGIS web clients, and
>> we think that having some online demos would be a good asset for the
>> project. Considering that QWC2 [0] is currently on the QGIS github
>> organization and that a demonstration repository [1] is already provided
>> with a variety of working examples, it could be an excellent starting
>> point. For now, the qgis4.qgis.org server is dedicated to QGIS Server:
>> OGC certification (continuous integration for WFS and WMS tests and
>> online QGIS Server instances for the certification process) as well as
>> performance tests to monitor regressions. With this in mind, what do you
>> think about deploying QWC2 examples on qgis4.qgis.org server? If you
>> agree with this approach, I can take care of it in the coming days. All
>> the best, Paul [0] https://github.com/qgis/qwc2 [1]
>> https://github.com/qgis/qwc2-demo-app|
> I appreciate this proposal a lot, thanks for raising it, and for your
> offer of thelp; wouldn't this impact the reliability of performance
> measurements?
> In case we decide, I think it would be fair to open the same to other
> clients (only those specific to qgis server IMHO).
> Regards.

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

pcav
Hi Paul,

On 26/03/19 09:33, pblottiere wrote:

> Hi Paolo and Jürgen,
>

>> In case we decide, I think it would be fair to open the same to other
>> clients (only those specific to qgis server IMHO).
> +1
>

>> wouldn't this impact the reliability of performance
>> measurements?
>> How does that interfere with the performance tests?
>
> Actually, I had the same problematic with online instances of QGIS
> Server for certification process. Performance tests take about 3 hours
> per day (for now but it may grow if we add more tests), so these online
> instances are deactivated just before performance tests and reactivated
> just after.
>

> So, I was thinking about doing the same thing for QGIS Server clients (I
> could add a message to indicate available time slots on a main page). I
> realize that it's not an ideal situation, but an uptime of 87.5% is
> better than nothing at all :). The perfect solution would be to deploy
> these clients on another server, but I'm not sure it's really necessary
> for now. Moreover, I have sudo rights on qgis4.qgis.org server, so I can
> work on it without bothering anyone :).
>

> What do you think?

yes, it makes sense to me. Perhaps a landing page saying "watch the
current QGIS service" pointing to either sample webgis, performance
tests, certification results according to time of day would do, and it
would raise interest with other (I believe rather obscure for now)
services, and promote qgis server reliability image in general.
All thee best, and thanks again.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

pblottiere-2
Dear PSC,

QWC2 examples are now available on qgis4 server:
http://qgis4.qgis.org:8081/demos_qwc2/.

Moreover, I did a PR to document qgis4 deployment (certification suite,
performance tests, qwc2 and so on):
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Sysadmin/pull/12

> Perhaps a landing page saying "watch the current QGIS service"
> pointing to either sample webgis, performance
> tests, certification results according to time of day would do, and it
> would raise interest with other (I believe rather obscure for now)
> services, and promote qgis server reliability image in general.

+1.

I'm working on a dashboard to indicate services availability, but it's
not operational yet.

Otherwise, what do you think about moving QGIS-Server-PerfSuite [0] and
QGIS-Server-CertifSuite [1] to https://github.com/qgis? Considering that
it's dedicated to QGIS-Server and running on qgis4, we (Oslandia) think
it would make sens.

Regards,

Paul

[0] https://github.com/Oslandia/QGIS-Server-PerfSuite

[1] https://github.com/Oslandia/QGIS-Server-CertifSuite

On 3/26/19 10:18 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On 26/03/19 09:33, pblottiere wrote:
>> Hi Paolo and Jürgen,
>>

>>> In case we decide, I think it would be fair to open the same to other
>>> clients (only those specific to qgis server IMHO).
>> +1
>>

>>> wouldn't this impact the reliability of performance
>>> measurements?
>>> How does that interfere with the performance tests?
>> Actually, I had the same problematic with online instances of QGIS
>> Server for certification process. Performance tests take about 3 hours
>> per day (for now but it may grow if we add more tests), so these online
>> instances are deactivated just before performance tests and reactivated
>> just after.
>>

>> So, I was thinking about doing the same thing for QGIS Server clients (I
>> could add a message to indicate available time slots on a main page). I
>> realize that it's not an ideal situation, but an uptime of 87.5% is
>> better than nothing at all :). The perfect solution would be to deploy
>> these clients on another server, but I'm not sure it's really necessary
>> for now. Moreover, I have sudo rights on qgis4.qgis.org server, so I can
>> work on it without bothering anyone :).
>>

>> What do you think?
> yes, it makes sense to me. Perhaps a landing page saying "watch the
> current QGIS service" pointing to either sample webgis, performance
> tests, certification results according to time of day would do, and it
> would raise interest with other (I believe rather obscure for now)
> services, and promote qgis server reliability image in general.
> All thee best, and thanks again.

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

pblottiere-2
Dear PSC,

I come back to you about my previous question : "what do you think about
moving
QGIS-Server-PerfSuite [0] and QGIS-Server-CertifSuite [1] to
https://github.com/qgis? Considering that it's dedicated to QGIS-Server and
running on qgis4, we (Oslandia) think it would make sens."

But I could ask on the developer mailing list if you prefer.

On 4/16/19 11:18 AM, pblottiere wrote:

> Dear PSC,
>

> QWC2 examples are now available on qgis4 server:
> http://qgis4.qgis.org:8081/demos_qwc2/.
>

> Moreover, I did a PR to document qgis4 deployment (certification suite,
> performance tests, qwc2 and so on):
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Sysadmin/pull/12
>

>> Perhaps a landing page saying "watch the current QGIS service"
>> pointing to either sample webgis, performance
>> tests, certification results according to time of day would do, and it
>> would raise interest with other (I believe rather obscure for now)
>> services, and promote qgis server reliability image in general.
> +1.
>
> I'm working on a dashboard to indicate services availability, but it's
> not operational yet.
>

> Otherwise, what do you think about moving QGIS-Server-PerfSuite [0] and
> QGIS-Server-CertifSuite [1] to https://github.com/qgis? Considering that
> it's dedicated to QGIS-Server and running on qgis4, we (Oslandia) think
> it would make sens.
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul
>

> [0] https://github.com/Oslandia/QGIS-Server-PerfSuite
>
> [1] https://github.com/Oslandia/QGIS-Server-CertifSuite
>

> On 3/26/19 10:18 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> On 26/03/19 09:33, pblottiere wrote:
>>> Hi Paolo and Jürgen,

>>> +1

>>> Actually, I had the same problematic with online instances of QGIS
>>> Server for certification process. Performance tests take about 3 hours
>>> per day (for now but it may grow if we add more tests), so these online
>>> instances are deactivated just before performance tests and reactivated
>>> just after.
>>>

>>> So, I was thinking about doing the same thing for QGIS Server clients (I
>>> could add a message to indicate available time slots on a main page). I
>>> realize that it's not an ideal situation, but an uptime of 87.5% is
>>> better than nothing at all :). The perfect solution would be to deploy
>>> these clients on another server, but I'm not sure it's really necessary
>>> for now. Moreover, I have sudo rights on qgis4.qgis.org server, so I can
>>> work on it without bothering anyone :).
>>>

>>> What do you think?
>> yes, it makes sense to me. Perhaps a landing page saying "watch the
>> current QGIS service" pointing to either sample webgis, performance
>> tests, certification results according to time of day would do, and it
>> would raise interest with other (I believe rather obscure for now)
>> services, and promote qgis server reliability image in general.
>> All thee best, and thanks again.

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

From my side I would say it is a no-brainer to move them over to QGIS.org on GitHub - it will make your work more discoverable and centralise things.

Unless there are any objections from the PSC (lets just will wait a day to see), just put in a transfer request on your repos to QGIS org and pop me a note and I will accept the transfer.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Server and QWC2

pcav
Hi,
I don't see any issue with that.
Cheers, and thanks for taking care of this.