QGIS PDF export options

johnrobot
Hi
I would like to see a few options when exporting a layout to PDF:

- PDF version, such as archive PDF/A-1a
- Support for layers/geospatial PDF as discussed in https://hub.qgis.org/issues/9362
- Resolution, compression
- Password protection
- Disable printing
- Enable/disable content copy
- Fit window, fit visible etc.

Any thoughts? Should I open a ticket for each one of the above or a general ticket?

Regards,

Magnus

Re: QGIS PDF export options

John Layt
On 18 March 2016 at 15:31, johnrobot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I would like to see a few options when exporting a layout to PDF:
>
> - PDF version, such as archive PDF/A-1a
> - Support for layers/geospatial PDF as discussed in
> https://hub.qgis.org/issues/9362
> - Resolution, compression
> - Password protection
> - Disable printing
> - Enable/disable content copy
> - Fit window, fit visible etc.
>
> Any thoughts? Should I open a ticket for each one of the above or a general
> ticket?

I assume you mean exporting a layout from the composer to PDF? In that
case QGIS uses the Qt's built-in print-to-PDF support, and as the
sometimes/former maintainer of print support in Qt5 I know that none
of those options (except resolution) are supported in Qt so QGIS is
unable to provide them. All those features would be very welcome
contributions to Qt 5 though, it's just we lack someone with the PDF
standard knowledge and time to do so. If anyone here has those skills
I'd be happy to help guide them through the process (or be paid to
find the time myself!).

Rather than raise tickets on QGIS, you'll need to check if Qt already
has tickets open (I think most do, see bugreports.qt.io) and if not
raise them yourself, then perhaps open a single QGIS ticket pointing
to the upstream issues so they can be tracked?

John.

Re: QGIS PDF export options

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi Magnus,

What you list below is a LOT of work and won't just "happen". You would
have to find a developer with profound PDF know-how to do the work.

Besides, some of your ideas even contradict with the values of the QGIS
project.

Why should the QGIS project encourage or include technology that:
- disables printing and
- disables content copy ?

I would be against having such technology in QGIS.

QGIS is about enabling content and technologies, not about disabling and
restricting the users rights.

Other stuff you list would be very useful to have. But as said, you
would have to get active to get it implemented. It won't just happen ...

Greetings,
Andreas

On 18.03.2016 16:31, johnrobot wrote:

> Hi
> I would like to see a few options when exporting a layout to PDF:
>
> - PDF version, such as archive PDF/A-1a
> - Support for layers/geospatial PDF as discussed in
> https://hub.qgis.org/issues/9362
> - Resolution, compression
> - Password protection
> - Disable printing
> - Enable/disable content copy
> - Fit window, fit visible etc.
>
> Any thoughts? Should I open a ticket for each one of the above or a general
> ticket?
>
> Regards,
>
> Magnus

Re: QGIS PDF export options

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi,

just to add another thought: In the past I bypassed disable print
settings in pdf documents by using a pdf viewer other than AdobeAcrobat
Reader (gsView in that case) and thus was able to print. So setting
flags does not necessarily mean that all pdf readers out there honor them.

Bernhard

Am 20.03.2016 um 11:14 schrieb Andreas Neumann:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> What you list below is a LOT of work and won't just "happen". You would
> have to find a developer with profound PDF know-how to do the work.
>
> Besides, some of your ideas even contradict with the values of the QGIS
> project.
>
> Why should the QGIS project encourage or include technology that:
> - disables printing and
> - disables content copy ?
>
> I would be against having such technology in QGIS.
>
> QGIS is about enabling content and technologies, not about disabling and
> restricting the users rights.
>
> Other stuff you list would be very useful to have. But as said, you
> would have to get active to get it implemented. It won't just happen ...
>
> Greetings,
> Andreas
>
> On 18.03.2016 16:31, johnrobot wrote:
>> Hi
>> I would like to see a few options when exporting a layout to PDF:
>>
>> - PDF version, such as archive PDF/A-1a
>> - Support for layers/geospatial PDF as discussed in
>> https://hub.qgis.org/issues/9362
>> - Resolution, compression
>> - Password protection
>> - Disable printing
>> - Enable/disable content copy
>> - Fit window, fit visible etc.
>>
>> Any thoughts? Should I open a ticket for each one of the above or a
>> general
>> ticket?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Magnus
>>

>> --

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 13209 (20160321) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: QGIS PDF export options

Régis Haubourg
Hi,
moreover, you can still reprint PDF with PdfCreator and add a lot of such options outside of QGIS. Such demands happen but must probably not be the most common (except if you work for defense or security ?)
Cheers
Régis

Re: QGIS PDF export options

johnrobot
Hi
Thanks for the feedback. I am not saying that implementing my suggestions is easy or that I need those features today. To me, options for resolution and layer control are the most interesting features to add. However, I still feel that security options might be relevant in some cases and I do not see why QGIS shouldn´t support that, if that is what users want. For example, both LibreOffice and Scribus allow document security, and a lot of other additional options, follow the links below.

I will have a look at https://bugreports.qt.io and see if I can find any related tickets. Hopefully, there are more users that would like to see the PDF export improved and, somewhere down the road, funding will be allocated for this work.

Best regards,

Magnus

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Export_as_PDF

https://www.scribus.net/svn/Scribus/branches/Version13x/Scribus/scribus/doc/en/toolbox1.html.

Re: QGIS PDF export options

Tom Chadwin
Neumann, Andreas wrote
Why should the QGIS project encourage or include technology that:
- disables printing and
- disables content copy ?

I would be against having such technology in QGIS.

QGIS is about enabling content and technologies, not about disabling and
restricting the users rights.
But many of us, if not most, frequently have to work with datasets which have licence restrictions. That would merit the features requested. Also, though many of us share your feelings about openness, surely we need to promote QGIS to potential users who do not share this view?

Tom

Re: QGIS PDF export options

macho
Hi!

I am completely with Andreas here.
QGIS is able to produce PDF. That should be enough. I will not repeat
the arguments brought by Andreas but rather found another piece that
fits here:

https://forum.qt.io/topic/30725/qprinter-write-password-protected-pdf/2

So if it is really necessary to create password protected PDF please
use any specific PDF tool for that.
I too don't see password protection as a "main" function in a GIS program.
I'd rather promote openness to users that do not share this view than
support their laziness to open a dedicated programm for that.

regards
Werner