QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

12

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Saber Razmjooei
And in terms of licences, the same exact licence from Windows installer is prompted to user....not sure if we need to apply for another licence for this installer or we can use the one obtained a while back for other OSes and packing.

Regards
Saber

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 19:55, Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Harrissou,

QGIS one-click installer is very similar to MS Windows installer, where all the required libraries (including GDAL 3rd party drivers) are included within the installer.

And yes, the one-click installer, does not support 10.12 due to some Python issue.

Kind regards
Saber

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 18:52, DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Peter for the summary (though the multiple versions side-by-side also applies to kyngchaos, and I guess 10.12 support could be part of the items)

I'm stuck to 10.12 and from what I read, the all-in-one package does not (yet? fully?) support it so I'm glad kyngchaos package is there. But my question (actually addressed to PSC) is whether we need to keep/advertise the two packages (now? or in the long run?).
And IF we go with the all-in-one package (only), since it engages QGIS.ORG, I wonder if we should question the 3rd party plugins embarked. I'm referring to this discussion [0] unless I misunderstand it or things have changed in the meantime.

Best regards,
Harrissou

Le mar. 25 juin 2019 à 12:48, Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Tim,

it is not straightforward in the current package, but possible. There are multiple ways how to do it, but I have an impression it is not something majority of user need. The plugins should have its dependancies sorted out by package manager or they should be bundled as wheel in plugins if needed.

Peter

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:38 PM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Peter

Did you ever manage to get something set up so that you can pip install extra packages into the included python in the package folder?

Regards

Tim

On 25 Jun 2019, at 11:13, Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

differences:

old-system (kyngchaos):
- separately installed python
- separately installed gdal + its modules
- 3rd party providers of gdal not included (must be installed separately)
- not signed (users needs to install unsigned package)
- no nightly builds, no public repository of used scripts
- well tested over years

new-system
- python, gdal, 3rd party modules, ... bundled in one single DMG package
- 3-clicks install (download, accept T&C, drop to /Applications)
- signed by OSGeo (Apple) certificate
- nightly builds, public repo with all scripts used (cooperative maintenance)
- multiple versions side-by-side
- new system, only partially tested during development and prototyping by few (hundred) users

Cheers,
Peter

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:56 AM Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733

--
Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

DelazJ
Thanks Saber for the explanation/confirmation. I was wondering if the process was different from Windows.

Kind regards,
Harrissou

Le mar. 25 juin 2019 à 21:02, Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Nathan Woodrow
Hey all,

There still seems to be some confusion in regards to the state of the OS X installers.  From my understanding, the new Lutra installers are good to go. Is that correct?  These seem to be good? https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ If so could we have the website updated to use those new installers and add a section (ior not) for the older installers?  The website still points to https://qgis.org/downloads/macOS/

Clearing this up for our OS X users would be great to avoid people getting a bad experience with QGIS and allow us to focus on making QGIS better for everyone.

Regards,
Nathan

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 5:58 AM DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Yes I've tested them a lot and from my POV they are
Good to go.

Regards

Tim

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 02:59 Nathan Woodrow, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Great.  If others are happy could we update the website and put a tweet out to say they are using the new packages?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 9:19 PM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

I propose writing a blog post (happy to draft one) with the details so that users can differentiate between the two installers.

Cheers
Saber

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 at 13:54, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

If you write it I can post it on the QGIS blog.

Regards

Tim Sutton
Co-founder of Kartoza
Ex-QGIS project chairman

On 29 Jun 2019, at 14:03, Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Are we good to do the official release on these?

- Blog post
- Tweet
- Update website.

I can do a PR for the website soon once I remember where the links are updated from.

[hidden email] how does the blog post looked that you drafted up?

Regards,
Nathan

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 5:27 AM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Hi Nathan,

Tim has kindly reviewed the blog post. So, it should be ready to publish.

The main remaining item was updating the website.

Regards
Saber

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 00:21, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Ok I'm not sure how that is done, although I haven't really looked hard but the rst for the page is empty.. Is that generated?

- Nathan

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 3:34 PM Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Last time, it took me a while to change a link :(

Regards
Saber

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 06:37, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Nathan, if you are referring to the main download page [0] whose source file, accessible through the "fix me" button like any other page, is empty, then I think it's generated and you might instead look at [1]
Other than that, I think there are some more places the information needs to be clarified:
- the macOS Installers description section [2]
- the link to macOS older releases shown in the "All releases" tab of [0] - see also [3] for related concerns

HTH,
Harrissou