QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

12

QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Peter Petrik
Hi,

the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are now set up and working properly from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with OSGEO Apple certificate.

The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.

The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.

Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the certificate.

Kind regards,
Peter

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

pcav
Thanks a lot Peter!

On 20/05/19 09:37, Peter Petrik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are
> now set up and working properly
> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with
> OSGEO Apple certificate.
>
> The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and
> PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.
>
> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.
>
> Kind regards,
> Peter

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Tim Sutton-6
Awesome news, thanks Peter!

Regards

Tim

On 20 May 2019, at 08:37, Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are now set up and working properly from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with OSGEO Apple certificate.

The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.

The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.

Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the certificate.

Kind regards,
Peter

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 20/05/2019 09.37, Peter Petrik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are
> now set up and working properly
> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with
> OSGEO Apple certificate.
>
> The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and
> PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.
>
> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.

Thanks Peter,

For all the hard work (and patience with us....).

Did anybody already test it on a mac? Or should we wait for this
homebrew-osgeo4mac downgrade you are talking about?

Looking at: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager
Do we need any install instructions there, or is it obvious for MacUsers
( /me was wondering if the DMG was enough, or 'I' also need the DEPS :-) ).

Anybody volunteering to make it clear for our users what the difference
is between the two installers, and write it down on
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html
in the mac section?

We will endup with:
https://qgis.org/downloads/macOS/ (Kynchaos builds)
https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ (Mac Packaging builds)
yes?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Peter Petrik
Hi,

please wait for proj downgrade, which should be ready for testing early next week. The installation instructions are double click on .dmg file and thats it.
P.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:00 PM Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/05/2019 09.37, Peter Petrik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are
> now set up and working properly
> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with
> OSGEO Apple certificate.
>
> The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and
> PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.
>
> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.

Thanks Peter,

For all the hard work (and patience with us....).

Did anybody already test it on a mac? Or should we wait for this
homebrew-osgeo4mac downgrade you are talking about?

Looking at: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager
Do we need any install instructions there, or is it obvious for MacUsers
( /me was wondering if the DMG was enough, or 'I' also need the DEPS :-) ).

Anybody volunteering to make it clear for our users what the difference
is between the two installers, and write it down on
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html
in the mac section?

We will endup with:
https://qgis.org/downloads/macOS/ (Kynchaos builds)
https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ (Mac Packaging builds)
yes?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Peter Petrik
Hi,

the downgrade to proj 5.2 and gdal 2.4 is finished. All packages on https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ should now be production-ready (or at least I am not aware of any blockers).

I suggest to offer both packages side-by-side for some time on the official web-page.

Kind regards,
Peter

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:06 PM Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

please wait for proj downgrade, which should be ready for testing early next week. The installation instructions are double click on .dmg file and thats it.
P.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:00 PM Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/05/2019 09.37, Peter Petrik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are
> now set up and working properly
> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with
> OSGEO Apple certificate.
>
> The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and
> PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.
>
> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.

Thanks Peter,

For all the hard work (and patience with us....).

Did anybody already test it on a mac? Or should we wait for this
homebrew-osgeo4mac downgrade you are talking about?

Looking at: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager
Do we need any install instructions there, or is it obvious for MacUsers
( /me was wondering if the DMG was enough, or 'I' also need the DEPS :-) ).

Anybody volunteering to make it clear for our users what the difference
is between the two installers, and write it down on
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html
in the mac section?

We will endup with:
https://qgis.org/downloads/macOS/ (Kynchaos builds)
https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ (Mac Packaging builds)
yes?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Tim Sutton-6
Ah cool - let me use them for a couple of days before we put them out there maybe? I have one particular bug with your older packages that I want to check is still an issue in the newer.

Regards

Tim

On 28 May 2019, at 15:35, Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

the downgrade to proj 5.2 and gdal 2.4 is finished. All packages on https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ should now be production-ready (or at least I am not aware of any blockers).

I suggest to offer both packages side-by-side for some time on the official web-page.

Kind regards,
Peter

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:06 PM Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

please wait for proj downgrade, which should be ready for testing early next week. The installation instructions are double click on .dmg file and thats it.
P.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:00 PM Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/05/2019 09.37, Peter Petrik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are
> now set up and working properly
> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with
> OSGEO Apple certificate.
>
> The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and
> PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.
>
> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.

Thanks Peter,

For all the hard work (and patience with us....).

Did anybody already test it on a mac? Or should we wait for this
homebrew-osgeo4mac downgrade you are talking about?

Looking at: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager
Do we need any install instructions there, or is it obvious for MacUsers
( /me was wondering if the DMG was enough, or 'I' also need the DEPS :-) ).

Anybody volunteering to make it clear for our users what the difference
is between the two installers, and write it down on
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html
in the mac section?

We will endup with:
https://qgis.org/downloads/macOS/ (Kynchaos builds)
https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ (Mac Packaging builds)
yes?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

---

Tim Sutton

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Peter Petrik
Hi,

binaries for QGIS 3.8 and QGIS 3.4.9 are ready https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/

P.

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 10:24 AM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah cool - let me use them for a couple of days before we put them out there maybe? I have one particular bug with your older packages that I want to check is still an issue in the newer.

Regards

Tim

On 28 May 2019, at 15:35, Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

the downgrade to proj 5.2 and gdal 2.4 is finished. All packages on https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ should now be production-ready (or at least I am not aware of any blockers).

I suggest to offer both packages side-by-side for some time on the official web-page.

Kind regards,
Peter

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:06 PM Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

please wait for proj downgrade, which should be ready for testing early next week. The installation instructions are double click on .dmg file and thats it.
P.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:00 PM Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/05/2019 09.37, Peter Petrik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the migration of the Mac Packager is finished. The automatic builds are
> now set up and working properly
> from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager repository, signed with
> OSGEO Apple certificate.
>
> The signed packages appear in https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/. LTR and
> PR must be triggered manually, nightly builds are running automatically.
>
> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.

Thanks Peter,

For all the hard work (and patience with us....).

Did anybody already test it on a mac? Or should we wait for this
homebrew-osgeo4mac downgrade you are talking about?

Looking at: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager
Do we need any install instructions there, or is it obvious for MacUsers
( /me was wondering if the DMG was enough, or 'I' also need the DEPS :-) ).

Anybody volunteering to make it clear for our users what the difference
is between the two installers, and write it down on
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html
in the mac section?

We will endup with:
https://qgis.org/downloads/macOS/ (Kynchaos builds)
https://qgis.org/downloads/macos/ (Mac Packaging builds)
yes?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

---

Tim Sutton

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Saber Razmjooei
Hi,

We keep receiving emails asking about macos binaries. Maybe we should include the links to the main download page as an alternative installer to kyngchaos:

So far, there have not been any reported issue. So, I guess they are robust enough to be promoted to the main page.

Regards
Saber

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 12:49, Peter Petrik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.

Thanks Peter,

For all the hard work (and patience with us....).

Did anybody already test it on a mac? Or should we wait for this
homebrew-osgeo4mac downgrade you are talking about?

Looking at: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager
Do we need any install instructions there, or is it obvious for MacUsers
( /me was wondering if the DMG was enough, or 'I' also need the DEPS :-) ).

Anybody volunteering to make it clear for our users what the difference
is between the two installers, and write it down on

www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Saber

On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

Thanks!

Regards

Tim

On 25 Jun 2019, at 09:17, Saber Razmjooei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> *The package is not ready for production because I need to wait for
> homebrew-osgeo4mac to downgrade to proj5 & gdal2.x. I assume this will
> happen this week and I will inform you when it is done.*
>
> Thanks for all help for setting up the mac cloud server and getting the
> certificate.

Thanks Peter,

For all the hard work (and patience with us....).

Did anybody already test it on a mac? Or should we wait for this
homebrew-osgeo4mac downgrade you are talking about?

Looking at: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager
Do we need any install instructions there, or is it obvious for MacUsers
( /me was wondering if the DMG was enough, or 'I' also need the DEPS :-) ).

Anybody volunteering to make it clear for our users what the difference
is between the two installers, and write it down on

 <qgis-icon-60x60.png>

---

Tim Sutton

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733

---

Tim Sutton

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Tested the 3.8 Lutra Mac build and the issue is not there so that one is good to go. Waiting for the 3.4.9 build to download….

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

DelazJ
Hi,

About publishing, I would add that it would be nice we clarify the situation: why do we (if we still do) provide two "packages", what are their differences (I still don't get them and keep using the one I'm used to) and document them at the same level (currently, most of the description refers to kyngchaos build "constraints" and the "lutra binaries" are hidden at the end of the download section [0]). This to say that we need involved people to properly rewrite [0]. The current situation is unclear for users.

And while we are at this, macOS [1] vs macos [2] to differentiate the builds is kind of... confusing. Let's provide the packages at a single and easy-to-find place, for the users.

Regards,
Harrissou

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Nyall Dawson
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Nyall

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Peter Petrik
Hi,

differences:

old-system (kyngchaos):
- separately installed python
- separately installed gdal + its modules
- 3rd party providers of gdal not included (must be installed separately)
- not signed (users needs to install unsigned package)
- no nightly builds, no public repository of used scripts
- well tested over years

new-system
- python, gdal, 3rd party modules, ... bundled in one single DMG package
- 3-clicks install (download, accept T&C, drop to /Applications)
- signed by OSGeo (Apple) certificate
- nightly builds, public repo with all scripts used (cooperative maintenance)
- multiple versions side-by-side
- new system, only partially tested during development and prototyping by few (hundred) users

Cheers,
Peter

On 25 Jun 2019, at 10:56, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Saber

On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.

For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!

Ah thanks - and confirmed 3.4.9 Lutra build works beautifully here too…

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 19:19, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>

> On 25 Jun 2019, at 10:56, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:30, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Saber
>
> On some builds there is an issue when opening any file dialog where it pauses for like 30s before returning control to the user. Let me test your latest binaries to check these are gone then +1 from me to publish & promote.
>

> For reference - this is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28201, and
> is an issue on the NON lutra installs only!
>

> Ah thanks - and confirmed 3.4.9 Lutra build works beautifully here too…

On that note -- if we switch the official recommended install to the
all-in-one-package, we should close off all open tickets which aren't
reproducible under those builds, and only accept new bugs with the
same condition.

Nyall

> Regards
>
> Tim
>

> Nyall
>

> —
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Co-founder: Kartoza
> Ex Project chair: QGIS.org
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux
> IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
>
> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Peter

Did you ever manage to get something set up so that you can pip install extra packages into the included python in the package folder?

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Peter Petrik
Tim,

it is not straightforward in the current package, but possible. There are multiple ways how to do it, but I have an impression it is not something majority of user need. The plugins should have its dependancies sorted out by package manager or they should be bundled as wheel in plugins if needed.

Peter

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

DelazJ
Thanks Peter for the summary (though the multiple versions side-by-side also applies to kyngchaos, and I guess 10.12 support could be part of the items)

I'm stuck to 10.12 and from what I read, the all-in-one package does not (yet? fully?) support it so I'm glad kyngchaos package is there. But my question (actually addressed to PSC) is whether we need to keep/advertise the two packages (now? or in the long run?).
And IF we go with the all-in-one package (only), since it engages QGIS.ORG, I wonder if we should question the 3rd party plugins embarked. I'm referring to this discussion [0] unless I misunderstand it or things have changed in the meantime.

Best regards,
Harrissou

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: QGIS Mac Packaging project migration

Saber Razmjooei
Hi Harrissou,

QGIS one-click installer is very similar to MS Windows installer, where all the required libraries (including GDAL 3rd party drivers) are included within the installer.

And yes, the one-click installer, does not support 10.12 due to some Python issue.

Kind regards
Saber