QGIS Icon

Stefan Löhr

Hello,

just out of curiosity:

Is it known that the QGis3 Icon and the QuickTime Icon on Mac look very similar?

I mean: Apple filed copyright claims for lesser reasons...

If the attatchment is scrubed, you can find screenshot here:

https://ibb.co/gESRwd

Besides: You did a good job with QGis3! Thanks!

Greetings,
Stefan

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-05 um 16.54.28.png (34K) Download Attachment

Re: QGIS Icon [Marketing Mail]

Elstermann, Mike

I see it relaxed, because both use the Q as basic form, or has Apple now also a “Q”-patent ;-)

mikeE.

Re: QGIS Icon

Andreas Neumann-4

As far as I know one can't have trademarks on letters. In addition - color and shape, as well as fills are quite different.

Besides - do you think Apple has an interest in sueing a popular Open Source project? What reputation damage would that be for Apple?

I am not so worried.

Andreas

Am 06.07.2018 um 08:43 schrieb Stefan Löhr:

Hello,

just out of curiosity:

Is it known that the QGis3 Icon and the QuickTime Icon on Mac look very similar?

I mean: Apple filed copyright claims for lesser reasons...

If the attatchment is scrubed, you can find screenshot here:

https://ibb.co/gESRwd

Besides: You did a good job with QGis3! Thanks!

Greetings,
Stefan

Re: QGIS Icon [Marketing Mail]

Anita Graser

We've thought about this when we evaluated the design and came to the conclusion that it's not an issue. There are tons of Qshaped logos. Nobody has an exclusive right to that shape.

Regards
Anita
QGIS PSC member