QGIS Files Icons

12

QGIS Files Icons

Alexandre Neto
Hello all,

One thing that always confused users was the fact that both desktop, browser and project shared the same Icon.
This has changed with the new browser Icon (Thanks), and also the new icon for qgs.

Now, IMHO, the new icon is used for too many things (SHP, QGS, QML, ...), making difficult to find what matters.

I have no idea how to implement this, but I would suggest adding a few more icons, at least for the main QGIS extensions (QGS, QPT, QML, QLR).

Have a look into my proposal, obviously smaller size icons should also be produced. Also I'm available to try with other symbols.

Alexandre Neto

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Good workd Alexandre, I like!
I guess you have them somewhere available as svg?

On 11/26/2015 12:55 AM, Alexandre Neto wrote:
Hello all,

One thing that always confused users was the fact that both desktop, browser and project shared the same Icon.
This has changed with the new browser Icon (Thanks), and also the new icon for qgs.

Now, IMHO, the new icon is used for too many things (SHP, QGS, QML, ...), making difficult to find what matters.

I have no idea how to implement this, but I would suggest adding a few more icons, at least for the main QGIS extensions (QGS, QPT, QML, QLR).

Have a look into my proposal, obviously smaller size icons should also be produced. Also I'm available to try with other symbols.

Alexandre Neto

Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source

Re: QGIS Files Icons

João Gaspar
Nice Alexandre.
+1

> Good workd Alexandre, I like!
> I guess you have them somewhere available as svg?
>

> On 11/26/2015 12:55 AM, Alexandre Neto wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> One thing that always confused users was the fact that both desktop, browser
> and project shared the same Icon.
> This has changed with the new browser Icon (Thanks), and also the new icon
> for qgs.
>
> Now, IMHO, the new icon is used for too many things (SHP, QGS, QML, ...),
> making difficult to find what matters.
>
> I have no idea how to implement this, but I would suggest adding a few more
> icons, at least for the main QGIS extensions (QGS, QPT, QML, QLR).
>
> Have a look into my proposal, obviously smaller size icons should also be
> produced. Also I'm available to try with other symbols.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/18je40eidwz75yr/Icons_p_QGIS.png?dl=0
>
> Alexandre Neto
> --
> Alexandre Neto
> http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

> Matthias Kuhn
> OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
> Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Alexandre Neto
I have it in SVG, but I do believe I should make lower resolution (more simplified version) of the Icons, to be able to show it at smaller sizes (24x24).

But first I wanted to make sure most people agree with it.

João Gaspar <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia qui, 26/11/2015 às 08:37:
Nice Alexandre.
+1

> Good workd Alexandre, I like!
> I guess you have them somewhere available as svg?
>

> On 11/26/2015 12:55 AM, Alexandre Neto wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> One thing that always confused users was the fact that both desktop, browser
> and project shared the same Icon.
> This has changed with the new browser Icon (Thanks), and also the new icon
> for qgs.
>
> Now, IMHO, the new icon is used for too many things (SHP, QGS, QML, ...),
> making difficult to find what matters.
>
> I have no idea how to implement this, but I would suggest adding a few more
> icons, at least for the main QGIS extensions (QGS, QPT, QML, QLR).
>
> Have a look into my proposal, obviously smaller size icons should also be
> produced. Also I'm available to try with other symbols.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/18je40eidwz75yr/Icons_p_QGIS.png?dl=0
>
> Alexandre Neto
> --
> Alexandre Neto
> http://gisunchained.wordpress.com

> Matthias Kuhn
> OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
> Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Anita Graser

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have it in SVG, but I do believe I should make lower resolution (more simplified version) of the Icons, to be able to show it at smaller sizes (24x24).

But first I wanted to make sure most people agree with it.

​Great work Alexandre! I think these will be a huge improvement over the current situation. ​
​I particularly like that you reused some of the icon concepts from the QGIS application. (I guess the styling brush should be available as a vector somewhere as well.)

Let us know when you open a PR with the icons :-)

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Alexandre Neto
Any of you knows what else must be done to make packages use this icons? Or I should ask in the developers mailing list?

Also, although svg is fully scalable, I would like to create a lower resolution version, Windows can use ico files for that, but I don't know if Mac and Linux can use them. Any idea?

Alexandre

Anita Graser <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia qui, 26/11/2015 às 22:09:
On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have it in SVG, but I do believe I should make lower resolution (more simplified version) of the Icons, to be able to show it at smaller sizes (24x24).

But first I wanted to make sure most people agree with it.

​Great work Alexandre! I think these will be a huge improvement over the current situation. ​
​I particularly like that you reused some of the icon concepts from the QGIS application. (I guess the styling brush should be available as a vector somewhere as well.)

Let us know when you open a PR with the icons :-)

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 26-11-15 00:55, Alexandre Neto wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> One thing that always confused users was the fact that both desktop,
> browser and project shared the same Icon.
> This has changed with the new browser Icon (Thanks), and also the new
> icon for qgs.
>
> Now, IMHO, the new icon is used for too many things (SHP, QGS, QML,
> ...), making difficult to find what matters.
>
> I have no idea how to implement this, but I would suggest adding a few
> more icons, at least for the main QGIS extensions (QGS, QPT, QML, QLR).
>
> Have a look into my proposal, obviously smaller size icons should also
> be produced. Also I'm available to try with other symbols.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/18je40eidwz75yr/Icons_p_QGIS.png?dl=0

Hi Alexandre,

Cool!

I'm wondering though if for example using the same color for the
'labels' (liek QGS QGL QLR QPT) would make it more like a 'set'.
Now they are all very nice on their own, but I miss the fact that they
are connected with each other by being QGIS files?
So: labels all QGIS Green?
Or: a border like you have for QGS and QPT for all four in QGIS Green?
Or: maybe only reuse the linework, but let the colors be more the same?

Anyway: really nice already. Would this work in Linux too?

Regards,

Richard

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Anita Graser

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any of you knows what else must be done to make packages use this icons? Or I should ask in the developers mailing list?
Also, although svg is fully scalable, I would like to create a lower resolution version, Windows can use ico files for that, but I don't know if Mac and Linux can use them. Any idea?

​Sorry, I don't know. ​I guess asking on the dev list is a good idea.

Anita, could not find the SVG version of the styles icon anywhere. Any idea where I can get it?

​It could be that it doesn't exist. I think we created this icon before the move to SVG icons. Guess we'll have to reproduce it in SVG now.

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Alexandre Neto
Hello all,

Following Richard ideas, I made 2 more versions of the icons.
I have also added a new generic icon to replace the current one.

The thing of making the icons all with the same color is that in small size they all look the same.

I will remake the style icon in SVG. And I will ask in the developer list how to incorporate the icons in the packaging.

Alexandre Neto

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

Following Richard ideas, I made 2 more versions of the icons.
I have also added a new generic icon to replace the current one.

The thing of making the icons all with the same color is that in small size they all look the same.

​+1 I think it is more important to be able to tell the icons apart. ​
​Maybe the middle row is a good compromise (but I'd prefer the text in the green rectangle to be white for contrast reasons).

Best wishes,
Anita​

Anita Graser <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia dom, 29/11/2015 às 12:01:
​+1 I think it is more important to be able to tell the icons apart. ​
​Maybe the middle row is a good compromise (but I'd prefer the text in the green rectangle to be white for contrast reasons).

Totally agree.
I have created 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 versions so we can compare how they look.

Below 48x48, the labels become unreadable even in white. Only the colors help setting icons apart. And at 16x16 only top row is distinctive.

But I do understand Richard point about some common identity with QGIS it self.

Alexandre Neto

Best wishes,
Anita​

[...]

Nathan Woodrow
Hey Alexandre,

These look great!  I really like the all green one but the point about having them all look the same is a good one.  The middle row is a good middle ground if others are happy with that.

Regards,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 30 Nov 2015, at 07:19, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Alexandre,

These look great!  I really like the all green one but the point about having them all look the same is a good one.  The middle row is a good middle ground if others are happy with that.

Great work Alexandre! +1 for the middle row from me too!

Regards

Tim

[...]

Tim Sutton

* Desktop GIS programming services
* Geospatial web development
* GIS Training
* Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Nyall Dawson
On 30 November 2015 at 01:55, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anita Graser <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia dom, 29/11/2015 às 12:01:
>>
>> +1 I think it is more important to be able to tell the icons apart.
>> Maybe the middle row is a good compromise (but I'd prefer the text in the
>> green rectangle to be white for contrast reasons).
>>

> Totally agree.
> I have created 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 versions so we can compare how they
> look.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggc10szujzavlir/Icons_p_QGIS_16x16.png?dl=0
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ir3kab9ihjwse6/Icons_p_QGIS_32x32.png?dl=0
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw7y5k0a418yk4c/Icons_p_QGIS_48x48.png?dl=0
>
> Below 48x48, the labels become unreadable even in white. Only the colors
> help setting icons apart. And at 16x16 only top row is distinctive.
>
> But I do understand Richard point about some common identity with QGIS it
> self.

These look fantastic - thank you! My vote would be the middle row too,
but with the green version of the .qgs icon. That salmon colour looks
really odd to me.

My only other thought is that there's not a lot to differentiate the
qpt and qgs icons. I think the qpt version could do with some non-map
elements, eg a light gray rectangle above the map to imitate a label
or something so that it's clear that these are print templates.

Nyall

Re: QGIS Files Icons

ElPaso
Il 29/11/2015 15:55, Alexandre Neto ha scritto:

> Anita Graser <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> escreveu
> no dia dom, 29/11/2015 às 12:01:
>
>     ​ +1 I think it is more important to be able to tell the icons
>     apart. ​
>     ​ Maybe the middle row is a good compromise (but I'd prefer the
>     text in the green rectangle to be white for contrast reasons).

Hi,

sorry to jump in, maybe this is perfectly clear for anyone but I would
like to remind that for HiDPI compatible icons we really need that all
icons are available as SVG.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3: www.itopen.it

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Alexandre Neto

Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia seg, 30/11/2015 às 00:37:

These look fantastic - thank you! My vote would be the middle row too,
but with the green version of the .qgs icon. That salmon colour looks
really odd to me.

That's ok by me.

My only other thought is that there's not a lot to differentiate the
qpt and qgs icons. I think the qpt version could do with some non-map
elements, eg a light gray rectangle above the map to imitate a label
or something so that it's clear that these are print templates.

I will try something diferent then.

Nyall

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Alexandre Neto
Hello,

ElPaso <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia seg, 30/11/2015 às 07:23:
sorry to jump in, maybe this is perfectly clear for anyone but I would
like to remind that for HiDPI compatible icons we really need that all
icons are available as SVG.

All icons are available in SVG, I have export them as PNG to make sure people see it at the exact size.

QML is the only one not complitely scalable, since the brush icon is originally in PNG, but I will try to recreate it in SVG if everybody agrees to use it.

The thing about using SVG for desktop icons is that, at smaller sizes, all detail seems to fade out. Normally, when using ICO or PNG, a different version is created, with less elements and relativelly thiker lines. But I'm not sure how to implement this.

Alexandre

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3: www.itopen.it

Re: QGIS Files Icons

Alexandre Neto
As most people is preferring the middle row, I went and done the suggested changes on it:

Icons_p_QGIS_final.png
From Anita, now labels are in white.
From Nyall, replace the salmon color of QGS, and tried to create a map template for QPT.
I also made colors a bit stronger, since the objective is to make logos distinct.

I'm not very happy about QGS Icon since it does not transmit much information, but I have no idea what else could we use.

Alexandre