[QGIS-Developer] upload non-english plugin into official repository

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[QGIS-Developer] upload non-english plugin into official repository

Martin Landa
Hi all,

I would like to ask whether is it possible to upload into official
plugin repository a plugin without English localization and
documentation. I recently found out that one Polish-only plugin has
been approved. There are few Czech-only plugins developed under my
supervision which could be uploaded. I haven't asked since I thought
that English localization + documentation is required.

Thanks for clarifying, Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upload non-english plugin into official repository

pcav
Hi Martin,

On 12/09/19 18:04, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to ask whether is it possible to upload into official
> plugin repository a plugin without English localization and
> documentation. I recently found out that one Polish-only plugin has
> been approved. There are few Czech-only plugins developed under my
> supervision which could be uploaded. I haven't asked since I thought
> that English localization + documentation is required.

as a general rule plugins should be in English and if possible
translatable. There are a few exceptions, especially for plugin useful
to access local data, where it makes sense to have a local language.
What we are always asking is at least an English description, to allow
users to decide whether a plugin could fit their needs, or perhaps is
worth investigating the code for a similar problem.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:
http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upload non-english plugin into official repository

Alexander Bruy
чт, 12 вер. 2019 о 19:12 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> пише:
> What we are always asking is at least an English description, to allow
> users to decide whether a plugin could fit their needs, or perhaps is
> worth investigating the code for a similar problem.

This is not true, see for example http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/inspireNL/.
Both description and about are non English as well as UI, but plugin was
approved years ago and new versions still get approval.


--
Alexander Bruy
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upload non-english plugin into official repository

pcav
Asking, not necessarily obtaining. Unfortunately managing hundreds of plugins takes a lot of my spare time, so something falls into the cracks.
Thanks for noticing, could you please open a ticket?
Cheers.

On 13 September 2019 07:44:36 CEST, Alexander Bruy <[hidden email]> wrote:
чт, 12 вер. 2019 о 19:12 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> пише:
What we are always asking is at least an English description, to allow
users to decide whether a plugin could fit their needs, or perhaps is
worth investigating the code for a similar problem.

This is not true, see for example http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/inspireNL/.
Both description and about are non English as well as UI, but plugin was
approved years ago and new versions still get approval.


--
Sorry for being short
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upload non-english plugin into official repository

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Is an English description in the repository sufficient?

The reason I'm asking is that we are currently developing a localized plugin and it would be nice to show the localized description in the plugin manager, so our "localized" users get the information in their preferred language (and I don't think we can provide translated plugin descriptions?).

Thanks for clarification

Matthias

On 9/13/19 8:22 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
Asking, not necessarily obtaining. Unfortunately managing hundreds of plugins takes a lot of my spare time, so something falls into the cracks.
Thanks for noticing, could you please open a ticket?
Cheers.

On 13 September 2019 07:44:36 CEST, Alexander Bruy [hidden email] wrote:
чт, 12 вер. 2019 о 19:12 Paolo Cavallini [hidden email] пише:
What we are always asking is at least an English description, to allow users to decide whether a plugin could fit their needs, or perhaps is worth investigating the code for a similar problem.
This is not true, see for example http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/inspireNL/. Both description and about are non English as well as UI, but plugin was approved years ago and new versions still get approval.

--
Sorry for being short
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer

_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upload non-english plugin into official repository

Borys Jurgiel-4
Maybe it's time to reconsider a support for localized tags in the repository?

The plugin manager displays localized 'description' and 'about' tags from the
metadata.txt:

description=Hello world
description[it]=Ciao mondo

thus for already installed plugins only. It's easy to add a ?lang= parameter
to the request, but I don't know how big deal would be to implement it in the
repository (especially storing all those optional tag variants in the
database). Unfortunately personally I never had time to dive into the
repository stuff.

Regards,
Borys

Dnia piątek, 13 września 2019 08:35:43 CEST Matthias Kuhn pisze:

> Is an English description in the repository sufficient?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that we are currently developing a localized
> plugin and it would be nice to show the localized description in the
> plugin manager, so our "localized" users get the information in their
> preferred language (and I don't think we can provide translated plugin
> descriptions?).
>
> Thanks for clarification
>
> Matthias



_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upload non-english plugin into official repository

ginetto
In reply to this post by Matthias Kuhn 🌍
IMHO is enough

Luigi Pirelli

**************************************************************************************************
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
* Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
**************************************************************************************************


On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 08:35, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is an English description in the repository sufficient?

The reason I'm asking is that we are currently developing a localized plugin and it would be nice to show the localized description in the plugin manager, so our "localized" users get the information in their preferred language (and I don't think we can provide translated plugin descriptions?).

Thanks for clarification

Matthias

On 9/13/19 8:22 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
Asking, not necessarily obtaining. Unfortunately managing hundreds of plugins takes a lot of my spare time, so something falls into the cracks.
Thanks for noticing, could you please open a ticket?
Cheers.

On 13 September 2019 07:44:36 CEST, Alexander Bruy [hidden email] wrote:
чт, 12 вер. 2019 о 19:12 Paolo Cavallini [hidden email] пише:
What we are always asking is at least an English description, to allow users to decide whether a plugin could fit their needs, or perhaps is worth investigating the code for a similar problem.
This is not true, see for example http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/inspireNL/. Both description and about are non English as well as UI, but plugin was approved years ago and new versions still get approval.

--
Sorry for being short
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer

_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upload non-english plugin into official repository

pcav
In reply to this post by Borys Jurgiel-4
Agreed, this would be a good improvement. A suitable project for QGIS grants.
Cheers.

On 13 September 2019 09:31:05 CEST, Borys Jurgiel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe it's time to reconsider a support for localized tags in the repository?

The plugin manager displays localized 'description' and 'about' tags from the
metadata.txt:

description=Hello world
description[it]=Ciao mondo

thus for already installed plugins only. It's easy to add a ?lang= parameter
to the request, but I don't know how big deal would be to implement it in the
repository (especially storing all those optional tag variants in the
database). Unfortunately personally I never had time to dive into the
repository stuff.

Regards,
Borys

Dnia piątek, 13 września 2019 08:35:43 CEST Matthias Kuhn pisze:
Is an English description in the repository sufficient?

The reason I'm asking is that we are currently developing a localized
plugin and it would be nice to show the localized description in the
plugin manager, so our "localized" users get the information in their
preferred language (and I don't think we can provide translated plugin
descriptions?).

Thanks for clarification

Matthias

QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer

--
Sorry for being short
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer