[QGIS-Developer] saving a layer with the world_map.shp

[QGIS-Developer] saving a layer with the world_map.shp

Raymond Nijssen
I know it was introduced as an easter egg, but I'm very happy with the
built in world map in qgis. I'm using it in a plugin to automatically
add a layer for the overview map in my layout. This layer points to a
shapefile in my qgis install directory:

/home/raymond/programs/qgis-master/share/qgis/resources/data/world_map.shp

Now, when saving my project and somebody else opening it, the layer is
invalid (of course). Is there a way to make the project point to the
right file, using some kind of variable pointing to the qgis
installation path?

like this:
{QGIS_RESOURCE_PATH}/data/world_map.shp

or I could copy the world.shp into my plugin and do this:

{QGIS_PLUGIN_PATH}/my-plugin/data/world_map.shp

These paths should then be saved including the variable in the project file.

Another option would be to save the shp-file in the .qgz somehow but I'm
not too sure if that is the way to go..

This is the way I create the path now:

worldShp = os.path.join(QgsApplication.pkgDataPath(), 'resources',
'data', 'world_map.shp')

To make the question more general, is it possible to add resources to a
plugin in a way that projects point to these resources and make that
work for other users too?

Hope anyone can help!

Kind regards,
Raymond

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

I don’t have any immediate fix for your issue, but I am glad you are enjoying my Easter egg :-) I also use it ALL THE TIME and it is really great in training courses etc. to get people quickly started with panning and zooming or putting their data in context. One day maybe we can elevate it’s status to have a button on the file toolbar that adds it to the canvas without the need for bunnies and chocolate :-)

PS for those that don’t know about the Easter egg, type ‘world’ into the coordinate box in the status bar as shown below, then press ENTER.

Regards

Tim

On 27 May 2019, at 14:58, Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

arongergely
Hi Tim,

With Raymond we are planning on using your great ester egg data in the overview box within map layouts.
I am looking for the license of the data,  do you perhaps know it / know where to find it?
Or does it fall under QGIS' license?

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Aron Gergely

I am also a fan of the ester egg, learned it from Raymond.

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

If I am not mistaken, the world map comes from Nathan Woodrow (he added it for the projection selector widget):

[timlinux@sandstone ~/dev/cpp/QGIS/resources/data (master)]$ git log world_map.shp
commit cf241f51ae2ae4ae225c9af65690aa2a5524df04
Author: Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]>
Date:   Mon Oct 16 10:40:05 2017 +1000

    [FEATURE][needs-docs] Show projection bounds in projection widget (#5356)

    - Script to pull bounds from EPSG.org Postgres dump
    - Add resources/data/world_map.shp for reference
    - Show canvas bounds for reference

I’m guessing it comes from Natural Earth, but he would need to confirm. Nathan can you add a license for that file?

Regards

Tim

On 7 Jun 2019, at 09:53, Áron Gergely <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<world.jpg>
[...]

<KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg>

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

berndv.

This is a really nice easter egg and could be of great use for quickly showing new users the differences of different crs in a course, if the shape wastn't that full of topology errors :(

Isn't there maybe a less buggy shape available?

Bernd

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

Raymond Nijssen
A topologically more correct map is not easily to find, especially not
in a tiny (shp) file size. Here are some links to examples:

http://www.statsilk.com/maps/download-free-shapefile-maps

But for educating CRS, for quickly finding out where your just opened
dataset is, and for layout overview maps the current one is already very
useful.

To improve it we could:
1. Generalize a correct map in a topological way
2. Remove all administrative boundaries from the current map to avoid
people getting offended by disputed territories for example.

We should also watch out not to start shipping data packages with the
software! Before we know there might be world boundaries at different
scales and people starting to wonder why we do not provide cities,
rivers, roads, coffee corners, ... :)

But a good resource platform (for data, svg, png, styles) in QGIS could
make it easy to ship this kind of data in plugins and make it work for
all users. Which was my original question.

Kind regards,
Raymond

On 12-06-19 06:00, Tim Sutton wrote:

> If you can find a better one or want to clean it I will be happy to
> replace it. Just provide some metadata with it this time so we know the
> provenance.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>> On 11 Jun 2019, at 18:10, Bernd Vogelgesang <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> This is a really nice easter egg and could be of great use for quickly
>> showing new users the differences of different crs in a course, if the
>> shape wastn't that full of topology errors :(
>>
>> Isn't there maybe a less buggy shape available?
>>
>> Bernd

> —
>

> *Tim Sutton*
>
> *Co-founder:*Kartoza
> *Ex Project chair:*QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org>
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/> to find out about open
> source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> *Skype*: timlinux
> *IRC:*timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net <http://freenode.net>
>
> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link
> <https://calendly.com/timlinux> to make finding time easy.

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

Nathan Woodrow
Hey Tim,

Yes I yanked that file from Natural Earth and I think it might have simplified it a little bit to reduce the file size but it's the same file.

Regards,
Nathan

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

pcav
Hi Raymond,

On 12/06/19 06:38, Raymond Nijssen wrote:

> But a good resource platform (for data, svg, png, styles) in QGIS could
> make it easy to ship this kind of data in plugins and make it work for
> all users. Which was my original question.

agreed fully, the existing Resource Sharing plugin is the base for this.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2019-05-28 4:50 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> PS for those that don’t know about the Easter egg, type ‘world’ into the
> coordinate box in the status bar as shown below, then press ENTER.

Love it.

(this beats the old "J-E-R-R-Y" Garcia trick in another not-to-be-named
software :)  and more useful ha!

-jeff

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

arongergely

Nathan and Tim, thanks for helping to track down the data source!

I was wondering, if this easter egg was used a lot for trainings, testing,
etc,
wouldn't it be better in the future to swap the shape file for a GeoPackage?

That could also lend itself as a container of other generalized world data
together with their QML/SLD stylings,
such as points for capital cities.

Right now it seems to me like a good idea but perhaps you can correct me. :)

Best Regards,
Aron

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-f4099106.html

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi Aron,

that sounds like a great idea!

Would you be able to prepare this file?

Best regards

Matthias

On 7/1/19 1:24 PM, arongergely wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nathan and Tim, thanks for helping to track down the data source!
>
> I was wondering, if this easter egg was used a lot for trainings, testing,
> etc,
> wouldn't it be better in the future to swap the shape file for a GeoPackage?
>
> That could also lend itself as a container of other generalized world data
> together with their QML/SLD stylings,
> such as points for capital cities.
>
> Right now it seems to me like a good idea but perhaps you can correct me. :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Aron
>

> --
> Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-f4099106.html

Re: saving a layer with the world_map.shp

arongergely
Hi Matthias,

Yes of course. In fact I have already done it for a plugin that I work
together on with Raymond.
I used the same world_map.shp and also saved the styling into the same
geopackage as the default style.

Thus happy to proceed forward with this.

Best regards,
Aron