[QGIS-Developer] "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

[QGIS-Developer] "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

Nyall Dawson
Hi list,

I'd like to re-raise the idea of adding a "needs sponsorship" label
for use on selected github tickets. E.g.
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/32098

I know this has been discussed in the past and the response was
unfavourable, but I'd like to see if opinions have changed on this at
all...

Nyall

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

Something for our newsfeed that will be introduced in  version 3.10? Ideally we would have "accumulated" issues in a feed, not many small for individual ones.

The idea to raise funds for fixing issues or new development was one of the main drivers behind integrating the newsfeed in the start page of QGIS 3.10.

But I would be fine with the label in Github as well.

Andreas

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

Alessandro Pasotti-2

Hi Nyall,

What would be exactly the meaning of that label?

If a developer adds that label, does that mean the she would be interested in implementing the feature if she get paid for it?

What if another developer is willing to implement it for free? She just removes the label and starts working on it?

I'm not sure we want to expose this kind of things in the issue tracker, I mean we should probably use other channels and perhaps add some other label that clearly indicates that there is a fundraising campaign running for that particular issue/feature.

If there is a running campaign I think it's totally fine to put a link to the campaign (and a label) in the issue.

Btw, thanks for raising the topic, in general I like very much the idea to give more visibility to fund-raising campaigns (which includes crowdfunding of course).

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 7:43 AM Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list,

I'd like to re-raise the idea of adding a "needs sponsorship" label
for use on selected github tickets. E.g.
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/32098

I know this has been discussed in the past and the response was
unfavourable, but I'd like to see if opinions have changed on this at
all...

Nyall

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

pcav
Hi all,

On 03/10/19 09:58, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> What would be exactly the meaning of that label?
>
> If a developer adds that label, does that mean the she would be
> interested in implementing the feature if she get paid for it?
>
> What if another developer is willing to implement it for free? She just
> removes the label and starts working on it?
>
> I'm not sure we want to expose this kind of things in the issue tracker,
> I mean we should probably use other channels and perhaps add some other
> label that clearly indicates that there is a fundraising campaign
> running for that particular issue/feature.
>
> If there is a running campaign I think it's totally fine to put a link
> to the campaign (and a label) in the issue.
>
> Btw, thanks for raising the topic, in general I like very much the idea
> to give more visibility to fund-raising campaigns (which includes
> crowdfunding of course).

in principle I'd be in favour of this, to make it clear to users that
they can make the difference and add more responsibility upon their
shoulders. However, I agree with Ale: what is the criteria? Every ticket
needs resources to be fixed, so which  one would earn the label?
If we find a reasonable (not requiring too admin work) and transparent
(no ambiguity) way of managing this, our newsfeed in the startup window
will be a powerful tool to implement it, as Andreas pointed out.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

Régis Haubourg
Hi
I quite agree with Paolo. What about reversing the logic and add a label "Funded by QGIS.org" when we tackle a bug or a feature with QGIS.org ressources ?

This would also help in identifying the issues tackled by our fundings in the long run, and help in coordinating a bit.

Regards
Régis
Le jeu. 3 oct. 2019 à 13:09, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi all,

On 03/10/19 09:58, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> What would be exactly the meaning of that label?
>
> If a developer adds that label, does that mean the she would be
> interested in implementing the feature if she get paid for it?
>
> What if another developer is willing to implement it for free? She just
> removes the label and starts working on it?
>
> I'm not sure we want to expose this kind of things in the issue tracker,
> I mean we should probably use other channels and perhaps add some other
> label that clearly indicates that there is a fundraising campaign
> running for that particular issue/feature.
>
> If there is a running campaign I think it's totally fine to put a link
> to the campaign (and a label) in the issue.
>
> Btw, thanks for raising the topic, in general I like very much the idea
> to give more visibility to fund-raising campaigns (which includes
> crowdfunding of course).

in principle I'd be in favour of this, to make it clear to users that
they can make the difference and add more responsibility upon their
shoulders. However, I agree with Ale: what is the criteria? Every ticket
needs resources to be fixed, so which  one would earn the label?
If we find a reasonable (not requiring too admin work) and transparent
(no ambiguity) way of managing this, our newsfeed in the startup window
will be a powerful tool to implement it, as Andreas pointed out.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hi,

I think that's at least as difficult, because QGIS gives pretty much "free choice" on the bugfixing campaigns and individual devs choose, where they are most efficient in spending their time.

Maybe it's best to keep the labels in the tracker free from any funding related things and just use it to assign people who are actively working on things which have been sold. If once in a while someone rolls the drums for an ongoing crowdfunding campaign in a comment, that's acceptable for me OTOH.

Bests

Matthias

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 22:42, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that's at least as difficult, because QGIS gives pretty much "free choice" on the bugfixing campaigns and individual devs choose, where they are most efficient in spending their time.
>
> Maybe it's best to keep the labels in the tracker free from any funding related things and just use it to assign people who are actively working on things which have been sold. If once in a while someone rolls the drums for an ongoing crowdfunding campaign in a comment, that's acceptable for me OTOH.

Ok, these are all valid concerns.

My original thinking was that we would use this tag for tickets which
require extensive development (e.g. weeks of development), and
accordingly are extremely unlikely to happen on a solely volunteer
basis.

Nyall

On 05/10/19 03:11, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> Ok, these are all valid concerns.

glad we all agree

> My original thinking was that we would use this tag for tickets which
> require extensive development (e.g. weeks of development), and
> accordingly are extremely unlikely to happen on a solely volunteer
> basis.
this makes sense. Perhaps better advertizing one of these tickets as
soon as one dev is interested and available to fix it?

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi everyone

On 10/5/19 7:02 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

>> My original thinking was that we would use this tag for tickets which
>> require extensive development (e.g. weeks of development), and
>> accordingly are extremely unlikely to happen on a solely volunteer
>> basis.
> this makes sense. Perhaps better advertizing one of these tickets as
> soon as one dev is interested and available to fix it?

I think there is still a missing link from an issue to how to proceed if
one wants to have it resolved.

For an average visitor it might appear as "It has been registered in the
tracker, it will eventually be resolved", presumably by pure magic ;)

What would be good is instructions on the possibilities to get things
done well visible there. Something like a "Help us fix this issue"
button just next to the issue discussion.

Matthias

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again) → "Start a bounty"

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi,

I really like gis.stackexchange bounty mechanism [1]. Issues could have
a "start a bounty" button, exactly like the gis.stackechange. Users
could allocate any amount between 50 and 500 bounty points, in 50-point
increments. Any user (other than the one reporting the issue) can ass
bounty points.

How they get bounty-points? Donations to QGIS (managed by PSC) awards
bounty-points to that user/company/community. An 1.000,00 € donation
would award 1000 bounty-points. They can invest the bounty points to
solve issues.

Developer(s)/ able to solve the issue would be refunded (in real money)
according to the number of bounty point.

This wouldn't be difficult to implement, I think. The mechanism is
really transparent, for users and for developers.

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

[1] https://gis.stackexchange.com/help/bounty

Às 08:28 de 05/10/19, Matthias Kuhn escreveu:

> Hi everyone
>
> On 10/5/19 7:02 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>
>>> My original thinking was that we would use this tag for tickets which
>>> require extensive development (e.g. weeks of development), and
>>> accordingly are extremely unlikely to happen on a solely volunteer
>>> basis.
>> this makes sense. Perhaps better advertizing one of these tickets as
>> soon as one dev is interested and available to fix it?
>
> I think there is still a missing link from an issue to how to proceed if
> one wants to have it resolved.
>
> For an average visitor it might appear as "It has been registered in the
> tracker, it will eventually be resolved", presumably by pure magic ;)
>
> What would be good is instructions on the possibilities to get things
> done well visible there. Something like a "Help us fix this issue"
> button just next to the issue discussion.
>
> Matthias

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again) → "Start a bounty"

Aurelio Pires
+1

Best regards,
A.Pires

On 2019-10-05 16:38, Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I really like gis.stackexchange bounty mechanism [1]. Issues could have
> a "start a bounty" button, exactly like the gis.stackechange. Users
> could allocate any amount between 50 and 500 bounty points, in 50-point
> increments. Any user (other than the one reporting the issue) can ass
> bounty points.
>
> How they get bounty-points? Donations to QGIS (managed by PSC) awards
> bounty-points to that user/company/community. An 1.000,00 € donation
> would award 1000 bounty-points. They can invest the bounty points to
> solve issues.
>
> Developer(s)/ able to solve the issue would be refunded (in real money)
> according to the number of bounty point.
>
> This wouldn't be difficult to implement, I think. The mechanism is
> really transparent, for users and for developers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Gustavo
>
> [1] https://gis.stackexchange.com/help/bounty
>

> Às 08:28 de 05/10/19, Matthias Kuhn escreveu:
>> Hi everyone

>>> this makes sense. Perhaps better advertizing one of these tickets as
>>> soon as one dev is interested and available to fix it?
>> I think there is still a missing link from an issue to how to proceed if
>> one wants to have it resolved.
>>
>> For an average visitor it might appear as "It has been registered in the
>> tracker, it will eventually be resolved", presumably by pure magic ;)
>>
>> What would be good is instructions on the possibilities to get things
>> done well visible there. Something like a "Help us fix this issue"
>> button just next to the issue discussion.
>>
>> Matthias

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again)

pcav
Hi Matthias,

On 05/10/19 09:28, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> I think there is still a missing link from an issue to how to proceed if
> one wants to have it resolved.
>
> For an average visitor it might appear as "It has been registered in the
> tracker, it will eventually be resolved", presumably by pure magic ;)
>
> What would be good is instructions on the possibilities to get things
> done well visible there. Something like a "Help us fix this issue"
> button just next to the issue discussion.

agreed - perhaps put it directly on github, or add an entry on the About
manu?
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: "Needs sponsor" label? (again) → "Start a bounty"

pcav
we attempted a similar system several years ago, and we found that the
amount of management work was quite relevant, out of our capabilities at
that time. Unsure things have changes over time. A fully automatic
system would be good.
Cheers.