[QGIS-Developer] icons for remove/delete actions

[QGIS-Developer] icons for remove/delete actions

Raymond Nijssen
Many icons in QGIS have little shields specifying what kind of action
they represents, like adding, editing and removing. For removing and
deleting things, I found 3 different shields though, a cross, a traffic
sign and a minus.

What is the logic for these 3? A difference in removing or deleting or
hiding maybe?
Or is this just caused by QGIS's evolution? In that case, what should be
the right shield to use now?

See attached screenshot

Thanks!
Raymond

Screenshot from 2020-01-04 10-34-16.png (19K) Download Attachment

Re: icons for remove/delete actions

Robert Szczepanek-3
Dear Raymond,

The initial idea creating GIS icons set was to define generic actions.

1. Remove
https://github.com/Cracert/GIS-icons/blob/master/24x24/layer-remove.png
Non-destructive operation.
You add a layer to composition, then you remove it.

https://github.com/Cracert/GIS-icons/blob/master/24x24/layer-delete.png
Destructive operation.
You create a layer, then you delete it.

More detailed description you can find in this article:
https://ojs.cvut.cz/ojs/index.php/gi/article/view/2737

Best regards,
Robert

> sob., 4 sty 2020 o 13:14 Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> napisał(a):
>
>     Many icons in QGIS have little shields specifying what kind of action
>     they represents, like adding, editing and removing. For removing and
>     deleting things, I found 3 different shields though, a cross, a traffic
>     sign and a minus.
>
>     What is the logic for these 3? A difference in removing or deleting or
>     hiding maybe?
>     Or is this just caused by QGIS's evolution? In that case, what
>     should be
>     the right shield to use now?
>
>     See attached screenshot
>
>     Thanks!
>     Raymond

Re: icons for remove/delete actions

Raymond Nijssen
Thank you Robert!

Interesting to read that pdf as well. However it doesn't contain
"traffic sign" icons, which are the ones I found mostly in QGIS.

So in short:

- Non-destructive removal (hide)
x Destructive removal (delete)
ø QGIS removal?

Kind regards,
Raymond

Terglobo
Fahrenheitstraat 1
5223 BJ 's-Hertogenbosch
The Netherlands
+31 (0) 6 25 31 49 83

On 04-01-2020 16:05, Robert Szczepanek wrote:

> Dear Raymond,
>
> The initial idea creating GIS icons set was to define generic actions.
>
> 1. Remove
> https://github.com/Cracert/GIS-icons/blob/master/24x24/layer-remove.png
> Non-destructive operation.
> You add a layer to composition, then you remove it.

> https://github.com/Cracert/GIS-icons/blob/master/24x24/layer-delete.png
> Destructive operation.
> You create a layer, then you delete it.
>
> More detailed description you can find in this article:
> https://ojs.cvut.cz/ojs/index.php/gi/article/view/2737
>
> Best regards,
> Robert
>

>> sob., 4 sty 2020 o 13:14 Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> napisał(a):
>>
>>     Many icons in QGIS have little shields specifying what kind of action
>>     they represents, like adding, editing and removing. For removing and
>>     deleting things, I found 3 different shields though, a cross, a
>> traffic
>>     sign and a minus.
>>
>>     What is the logic for these 3? A difference in removing or
>> deleting or
>>     hiding maybe?
>>     Or is this just caused by QGIS's evolution? In that case, what
>>     should be
>>     the right shield to use now?
>>
>>     See attached screenshot
>>
>>     Thanks!
>>     Raymond

Re: icons for remove/delete actions

Robert Szczepanek-3
Dear Raymond,

It is hard sometimes to follow fuzzy rules, especially in such large
projects like QGIS, with so many contributors.
I am not the author of 'traffic sign' icons group, and cannot easily
define the associated metaphor.

Perhaps we should review the current state of overall toolbar icons
consistency and try to improve it somehow.
Thank you for paying attention.

regards,
Robert