[QGIS-Developer] WMS loaded in qgis desktop, not in server

[QGIS-Developer] WMS loaded in qgis desktop, not in server

pcav
Hi all,
I have a couople of WMS layers that are displayed correclty in QGIS
desktop, but disappear in the server. It may be due to an erro on the
WMS side, which in fact returns:
mapserv(): Web application error. Traditional BROWSE mode requires a
TEMPLATE in the WEB section, but none was provided.
What is strange to me is having a different behavious from desktop to
sever. Any hint? Is this expected?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: WMS loaded in qgis desktop, not in server

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Paolo,

It would be good to get the exact request that your server is sending to
MapServer, to debug this. (maybe using Fiddler, as described in the
steps I've recorded at
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/Get-the-Raw-WMS-Request-Generated-by-QGIS
)

Also, it might also be good to check the WMS server's GetCapabilities
request, to make sure that there are no 'WARNING' messages in the
response.  (example request:
https://demo.gatewaygeomatics.com/cgi-bin/wms_gateway?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

On 2020-02-13 9:02 a.m., Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a couople of WMS layers that are displayed correclty in QGIS
> desktop, but disappear in the server. It may be due to an erro on the
> WMS side, which in fact returns:
> mapserv(): Web application error. Traditional BROWSE mode requires a
> TEMPLATE in the WEB section, but none was provided.
> What is strange to me is having a different behavious from desktop to
> sever. Any hint? Is this expected?
> Cheers.

Re: WMS loaded in qgis desktop, not in server

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 13/02/2020 14.22, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> It would be good to get the exact request that your server is sending to
> MapServer, to debug this. (maybe using Fiddler, as described in the
> steps I've recorded at
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/Get-the-Raw-WMS-Request-Generated-by-QGIS
> )

@Jeff: my I plug this plugin:
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/qgisnetworklogger/
to view wfs/wms requests from within QGIS Desktop? You can see all
requests en response info, AND replay in browser or curl

@Paolo: the error you see is when Minnesota mapserver is not receiving
the full url (including the &map=mymapfile. So looks to me like QGIS
server is handling the server-url different then QGIS desktop.
I would try to connect to a local mapserver and log the apache requests
there?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 2020-02-13 9:38 a.m., Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> @Jeff: my I plug this plugin:
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/qgisnetworklogger/
> to view wfs/wms requests from within QGIS Desktop? You can see all
> requests en response info, AND replay in browser or curl

Excellent, thanks for 'plugging' your cool plugin!

Thanks for sharing.

-jeff

Il 13/02/20 14:38, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:

> On 13/02/2020 14.22, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Hi Paolo,
>>
>> It would be good to get the exact request that your server is sending to
>> MapServer, to debug this. (maybe using Fiddler, as described in the
>> steps I've recorded at
>> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/Get-the-Raw-WMS-Request-Generated-by-QGIS
>> )
>
> @Jeff: my I plug this plugin:
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/qgisnetworklogger/
> to view wfs/wms requests from within QGIS Desktop? You can see all
> requests en response info, AND replay in browser or curl
>
> @Paolo: the error you see is when Minnesota mapserver is not receiving
> the full url (including the &map=mymapfile. So looks to me like QGIS
> server is handling the server-url different then QGIS desktop.
> I would try to connect to a local mapserver and log the apache requests
> there?

Indeed, adding
?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
returns valid results.
curl from the same server downloads a valid image.
Unclear therefore why the layers are shown in desktop and not in the
server. Could it be that they do not allow wms cascading?
I worked around this by taking data directly from wms, without passing
from qgis server, but it would be nice to understand this behaviour.
Thanks Richard for the plugin, very useful.
Cheers.

On 2020-02-13 11:00 a.m., Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Indeed, adding
> ?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
> returns valid results.
> curl from the same server downloads a valid image.
> Unclear therefore why the layers are shown in desktop and not in the
> server. Could it be that they do not allow wms cascading?
> I worked around this by taking data directly from wms, without passing
> from qgis server, but it would be nice to understand this behaviour.
> Thanks Richard for the plugin, very useful.
> Cheers.

Paolo does the same issue occur when you leverage my server instead,
inside your application? If so I can check my Apache logs when you hit
it, to see what request your application is sending to MapServer.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: WMS loaded in qgis desktop, not in server

pcav
Hi Jeff,
I regularly use WMS services, and this is the first time I hit this
different behaviour between server and desktop, so I think this is
related to that specific server.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: WMS loaded in qgis desktop, not in server

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Paolo,

I just came across your exact error message (which I usually avoid since
when I setup WMS servers I remove the requirement for the "MAP="
parameter), which I can duplicate if I leave in the "MAP=" parameter in
the onlineresource url such as:

https://ms4w.dev/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/local-demo/local.map
  <--that will return your error message that you saw earlier I believe

And here is a full request:
https://ms4w.dev/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/local-demo/local.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&BBOX=-90,-180,83.64509999999999934,180&CRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=520&HEIGHT=251&LAYERS=countries&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&DPI=72&MAP_RESOLUTION=72&FORMAT_OPTIONS=dpi:72&TRANSPARENT=TRUE

So I guess my point is that there is no problem with your external WMS
service, but there might be a problem with how QGIS server handles WMS
onlineresource urls with that 'MAP=' parameter, my guess.

Not sure if this email helps, but I thought of you minutes ago when I
saw this with my own server.

(or if you moved on from this, then, I wish you a happy weekend ha)

-jeff

On 2020-02-13 11:22 a.m., Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> I regularly use WMS services, and this is the first time I hit this
> different behaviour between server and desktop, so I think this is
> related to that specific server.
> Cheers.
>
> Il 13/02/20 16:19, Jeff McKenna ha scritto:
>> On 2020-02-13 11:00 a.m., Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed, adding
>>> ?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
>>> returns valid results.
>>> curl from the same server downloads a valid image.
>>> Unclear therefore why the layers are shown in desktop and not in the
>>> server. Could it be that they do not allow wms cascading?
>>> I worked around this by taking data directly from wms, without passing
>>> from qgis server, but it would be nice to understand this behaviour.
>>> Thanks Richard for the plugin, very useful.
>>> Cheers.
>>>

>> Paolo does the same issue occur when you leverage my server instead,
>> inside your application? If so I can check my Apache logs when you hit
>> it, to see what request your application is sending to MapServer.
>>
>> -jeff

Re: WMS loaded in qgis desktop, not in server

pcav
Thanks a lot Jeff. I agree qgis server may be misbehaving. Maybe this is
worth a ticket?
Cheers.