[QGIS-Developer] WITH_PDAL and WITH_EPT doubt

[QGIS-Developer] WITH_PDAL and WITH_EPT doubt

Alexandre Neto
Hi,

I am trying to add point cloud support to QGIS on conda-forge [0], but I am unsure if I need to use
WITH_PDAL=TRUE and WITH_EPT=TRUE or just make sure PDAL is available from the packaging repositories.

Will anything be missing if I skip these two during the compilation?

Thanks,

Alexandre Neto

Re: WITH_PDAL and WITH_EPT doubt

Nyall Dawson
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 11:59, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add point cloud support to QGIS on conda-forge [0], but I am unsure if I need to use
> WITH_PDAL=TRUE

yes, you'll need to add this even if you have pdal library available.
it defaults to false to avoid breaking the compilation if pdal isn't
available (and we want explicit breaks here rather than silently
compiling without pdal provider if the library isn't found).

> and WITH_EPT=TRUE

That defaults to true anyway, so you can omit it if you want.

Nyall

Re: WITH_PDAL and WITH_EPT doubt

Alexandre Neto
Great, thanks!

A quarta, 3/03/2021, 02:03, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> escreveu:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 11:59, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add point cloud support to QGIS on conda-forge [0], but I am unsure if I need to use
> WITH_PDAL=TRUE

yes, you'll need to add this even if you have pdal library available.
it defaults to false to avoid breaking the compilation if pdal isn't
available (and we want explicit breaks here rather than silently
compiling without pdal provider if the library isn't found).

> and WITH_EPT=TRUE

That defaults to true anyway, so you can omit it if you want.

Nyall

Re: WITH_PDAL and WITH_EPT doubt

Alexandre Neto
Hello again,

Does this mean that, if entwine isn't present in the system, the compilation won't fail or complaint, but some functionality will be missing?

Should I include entwine as a dependency for 3.18.0 on conda-forge?

Thanks,
Alexandre

A quarta, 3/03/2021, 03:40, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Great, thanks!

A quarta, 3/03/2021, 02:03, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> escreveu:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 11:59, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add point cloud support to QGIS on conda-forge [0], but I am unsure if I need to use
> WITH_PDAL=TRUE

yes, you'll need to add this even if you have pdal library available.
it defaults to false to avoid breaking the compilation if pdal isn't
available (and we want explicit breaks here rather than silently
compiling without pdal provider if the library isn't found).

> and WITH_EPT=TRUE

That defaults to true anyway, so you can omit it if you want.

Nyall

Re: WITH_PDAL and WITH_EPT doubt

Alexandre Neto
Sorry for the basic questions, I was about to say. I am lagging a bit on all this point cloud business, but I wanted to make it available on conda-forge.

Thanks,

Alexandre Neto

A sábado, 6/03/2021, 09:53, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi Sylvain,

Thank you for you answer. Yes, the build in conda is building untwine for sure. I know because the windows build is failing there. So that's a result of with_ept=true?

 entwine or untwine serve the same purpose? Is there a prefered one?

If I build using WITH_EPT = true, does it make sense to install entwine (from packaging system) anyway? Or, in that case, I should use WITH_EPT = FALSE?

Sorry for

A sábado, 6/03/2021, 09:28, Sylvain POULAIN <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi Alexandre,

When you build qgis with cmake, it will build untwine (not entwine) in qgis structure.
I guess it could be the same with conda but not tested.

Regards,

Sylvain