[QGIS-Developer] Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

[QGIS-Developer] Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

Nyall Dawson
So..... 3.18.0 is unfortunately proving to be a bit of a dud, with numerous critical issues including:

- georeferencer is broken: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41770 (fixed now)
- a crash in the layer properties for point cloud layers: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41722 (fixed now)
- Can't access rasters in geopackage through browser: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41860 (fixed now)
- Crash when exporting DXF files: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41858 -- unfixed
- A crash when opening the properties of a raster layer: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41834 (possibly a plugin issue, but more feedback is needed as it may be a widespread non-plugin issue (this code was changed just prior to release))

I think the severity of the georefencer and DXF crashes alone should warrant a speedy .1 release, given that they completely break some core GIS functionality.

(I think we should also consider raising a user-friendly warning message when a user tries to add a las or laz file and they don't have a pdal enabled build, as we are seeing lots of confusion about this situation too).

What's everyone's thoughts? Should we cut an unscheduled 3.18.1 release sometime next week after the DXF and raster properties crashes are fixed?

Nyall

Re: [Qgis-psc] Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

Mathieu Pellerin
Add the following to the list of serious issue:
- raster URIs using /vsi{zip,curl,etc.}/ won't load anymore: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/41888 (fix PR open)

+1 to have an early .1 release.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

Alessandro Pasotti-2
On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 8:15 AM Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So..... 3.18.0 is unfortunately proving to be a bit of a dud, with numerous critical issues including:
>
> - georeferencer is broken: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41770 (fixed now)
> - a crash in the layer properties for point cloud layers: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41722 (fixed now)
> - Can't access rasters in geopackage through browser: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41860 (fixed now)
> - Crash when exporting DXF files: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41858 -- unfixed
> - A crash when opening the properties of a raster layer: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/41834 (possibly a plugin issue, but more feedback is needed as it may be a widespread non-plugin issue (this code was changed just prior to release))
>
> I think the severity of the georefencer and DXF crashes alone should warrant a speedy .1 release, given that they completely break some core GIS functionality.
>
> (I think we should also consider raising a user-friendly warning message when a user tries to add a las or laz file and they don't have a pdal enabled build, as we are seeing lots of confusion about this situation too).
>
> What's everyone's thoughts? Should we cut an unscheduled 3.18.1 release sometime next week after the DXF and raster properties crashes are fixed?
>
> Nyall

+1, not sure if a week is enough though, the CI blackout has been
hiding a few issues that must be taken care of before we ship another
broken release.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net

Re: [Qgis-psc] Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

Martin Pergler
+1 on the idea.

How far away is the OSGeo4W "reboot" from moving from testing to release? If
similar timing, would it make sense to coordinate with this 3.18.1?  At the
risk of being annoyingly Windows-centric, I suspect for a lot of our Windows
userbase, the distinction between "point release of QGIS" and "availability
of (new/improved/streamlined) Windows build" is murky at best.

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-f4099106.html

Re: Unscheduled 3.18.1 release?

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Ale,

On Sat, 27. Feb 2021 at 09:20:06 +0100, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> +1, not sure if a week is enough though, the CI blackout has been
> hiding a few issues that must be taken care of before we ship another
> broken release.

Same here.  The processing message about SAGA 7 should also be checked and be
removed if it's bogus.  Not really sure if it is.

And some more time to let people test with the new dependencies on Windows
would probably be good too - so far it seems to work as good as I hoped - I
expected more hickups ;)

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 23:16, Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ale,
>
> On Sat, 27. Feb 2021 at 09:20:06 +0100, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> > +1, not sure if a week is enough though, the CI blackout has been
> > hiding a few issues that must be taken care of before we ship another
> > broken release.
>
> Same here.

In this case, could we remove the download links to 3.8.0 from the
website? I don't think it's fair to users to be offering such a broken
release to them...

(Either that, or adding a "known issues" list under each of the 3.8.0
downloads so that we can inform users of what we know has broken!)

Nyall

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 at 09:05, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 23:16, Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ale,
> >
> > On Sat, 27. Feb 2021 at 09:20:06 +0100, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> > > +1, not sure if a week is enough though, the CI blackout has been
> > > hiding a few issues that must be taken care of before we ship another
> > > broken release.
> >
> > Same here.
>
> In this case, could we remove the download links to 3.8.0 from the
> website? I don't think it's fair to users to be offering such a broken
> release to them...
>
> (Either that, or adding a "known issues" list under each of the 3.8.0
> downloads so that we can inform users of what we know has broken!)

I'm really trying hard not to scream and rage smash my monitor, but we
need to pull down this piece of shit release ASAP.

Now I've just found out that digitizing features with snapping enabled
is completely broken in 3.18.0 -- see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/41931

Nyall