[QGIS-Developer] Should we create a list for admin sys discussions and infrastructure monitoring?

[QGIS-Developer] Should we create a list for admin sys discussions and infrastructure monitoring?

Régis Haubourg
Hi all,
at Oslandia we are currently pushing the OGC compliance test suite,  the performance test suite and some demo stuff QWC2 on qgis officiel servers.
We need to monitor those tools that produce daily reports and send mails in case of failure of the tools

We don't want to flood the developper's mailing list with such messages, so we are wondering what would be the best place to send those notifications?

For the particular case of the OGC compliance test, we also now have messages in case of regressions. Those messages should are not wired with Travis PR workflow, so we need to raise the information probably on the developper mailing list.

Is there anything already set up somewhere we are not aware of?

I think centralizing notification and having a dashbooard to monitot the status of all the infrastructure would be nice.

Thanks for your hints!

Best regards
Régis

Re: Should we create a list for admin sys discussions and infrastructure monitoring?

Régis Haubourg
Hi all,
A gentle relaunch here.  Our infrastructure is already monitored somewhere?
Or do we stick to having mail received by individual maintainers?
Best regards
Régis

Le ven. 10 mai 2019 à 15:47, Régis Haubourg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 17/05/2019 17.54, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> Hi all,
> A gentle relaunch here.  Our infrastructure is already monitored somewhere?
> Or do we stick to having mail received by individual maintainers?

Nope, not monitored (for what I know... others please speak up).

We are all volunteers, so if somebody thinks it is essential to monitor
and share that responsibility, please step up.

Personally I'm fine when individuals keep/take the lead in this, as 'the
project / PSC' cannot keep all things together alone.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Should we create a list for admin sys discussions and infrastructure monitoring?

pcav
Hi all,

On 17/05/19 19:41, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> On 17/05/2019 17.54, Régis Haubourg wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> A gentle relaunch here.  Our infrastructure is already monitored somewhere?
>> Or do we stick to having mail received by individual maintainers?
>
> Nope, not monitored (for what I know... others please speak up).
>
> We are all volunteers, so if somebody thinks it is essential to monitor
> and share that responsibility, please step up.
>
> Personally I'm fine when individuals keep/take the lead in this, as 'the
> project / PSC' cannot keep all things together alone.

sorry Régis for not replying sooner. I think yet another mailing list
will be difficult to follow. I believe the optimal solution would be for
one to three people taking care of this, and report to the community or
the PSC when appropriate or necessary.
Thanks for reminding!
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Should we create a list for admin sys discussions and infrastructure monitoring?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hi Régis,

I like the idea. It's an easy solution to have an archive of past notifications and discussions on particular events.

The main risk is, that the "responsibilities" of different lists is no longer clear and cross list threads are started. I don't know what's best, but it could even be "read only", so that only the check results are posted but any discussion shall be triggered on other channels.

If someone is able to setup a dashboard with advanced functionality, filtering etc. that would of course be even nicer, but initial effort is higher and maintenance effort will be higher too, so it's a question if someone is willing to take on that job.

Best regards

Matthias

On 5/17/19 5:54 PM, Régis Haubourg wrote:
[...]

thanks for your inputs. My concern was that we are not resilient enough to detecting regressions or failures. I get your point of finding resources to create a dashboard, and responsibility dilution risks if we don't clarify who is responsible for what.

Let's stay as is concerning the QGIS server performance and OGC compliance suites. We'll forward tools failures only to Paul and me as a backup.

However there was another question about regressions detected concerning OGC compliancy. We are currently not able to wire those to Travis directly (that would be way tooo long), so how can we advertise for regressions to developpers? That is why I was asking to post on developper's list or another list. Unlike Plugin approval's messages, we expect a lot less messages. (something between 1 an 10 maybe?).

Best regards
Régis