[QGIS-Developer] SAGA release 7.3 (new LTR)

[QGIS-Developer] SAGA release 7.3 (new LTR)

Johan Van de Wauw
Hi all,

SAGA has released a 7.3 version at the end of june, and I intend to keep a stable branch based on this release, and drop support of the old branch (which was not maintained well).
I am aware of the next-gen processing plugin at
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/processing_saga_nextgen/ which now targets 7.2, but wonder if we should not consider switching to this version also in the normal processing plugin.

I'll be at FOSS4G later this month, so perhaps this is a good time to implement/discuss some of these changes?

Kind regards,
Johan

Re: SAGA release 7.3 (new LTR)

Nyall Dawson
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 05:06, Johan Van de Wauw
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> SAGA has released a 7.3 version at the end of june, and I intend to keep a stable branch based on this release, and drop support of the old branch (which was not maintained well).
> I am aware of the next-gen processing plugin at
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/processing_saga_nextgen/ which now targets 7.2, but wonder if we should not consider switching to this version also in the normal processing plugin.

This is great news, thank you so much for this! It will definitely
make things much easier for users.

What I'm thinking is that we should make the core plugin handle both
2.3 and 7,3, as it's likely to be some time before 7.3 is available on
all target platforms. The next_gen plugin might be a good starting
point, but to my knowledge it hasn't been widely tested and I would
expect there's many algorithms in it which don't work (since they
haven't been updated from the 2.3 definitions)... So there's quite a
bit of work for someone to do on the QGIS side.

This would be a great task for a motivated, knowledgeable SAGA
processing user to contribute to QGIS. Any volunteers?

Nyall

> I'll be at FOSS4G later this month, so perhaps this is a good time to implement/discuss some of these changes?
>
> Kind regards,
> Johan

Re: SAGA release 7.3 (new LTR)

Pedro Venâncio-2
Hi Nyall and Johan,

Alexander Bruy had updated his SAGA provider for Processing to SAGA 7.3.0 already, so it is the best candidate to be merged to core! :)

Best regards,
Pedro Venâncio