[QGIS-Developer] Re-implementing delimited text provider help

[QGIS-Developer] Re-implementing delimited text provider help

Chris Crook
Hi all

I am looking for guidance on documentation.

The help for the delimited text provider has largely got lost between versions 2 and 3.  In version 3 is defined in

QgsHelp::openHelp( QStringLiteral( "managing_data_source/opening_data.html#importing-a-delimited-text-file" ) );

This links to the QGIS documentation now (after I fixed the url) but that is very brief.

In version 2 this served as reference documentation for the provider, including documentation on the url for constructing programmatically as well as the GUI information.  While this is too much information for many users I would like it to go somewhere
This could certainly be broken up into a number of cross referenced items.

So I am wondering where this should go now!  And what I need to do to get it there.

Thanks
Chris

________________________________

This message contains information, which may be in confidence and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.

Re: Re-implementing delimited text provider help

DelazJ
Hi Chris,

Hi all

I am looking for guidance on documentation.

Can you elaborate on the kind of guidance you need, please?
Basically, docs sources are in https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation repository and clicking the "Fix Me" link at the bottom of any online doc page should bring you to the page source.
we have also set some guidelines at https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/index.html if you want more details but the docs team remains available if you need some particular help.

The help for the delimited text provider has largely got lost between versions 2 and 3.  In version 3 is defined in

QgsHelp::openHelp( QStringLiteral( "managing_data_source/opening_data.html#importing-a-delimited-text-file" ) );

This links to the QGIS documentation now (after I fixed the url) but that is very brief.

Unfortunately it would not be the single broken link but this is a long standing issue I stopped to chase and raise.

In version 2 this served as reference documentation for the provider, including documentation on the url for constructing programmatically as well as the GUI information.  While this is too much information for many users I would like it to go somewhere
This could certainly be broken up into a number of cross referenced items.

So I am wondering where this should go now!  And what I need to do to get it there.

I gave a quick look to the 2.18 context help and indeed looks like there's a lot of valuable information we can move to the online docs. From what I see I think changes could go to:
- and somewhere in the PyQGIS cookbook but I don't know the logic of structuring this document and it does not really get updates for 3, yet. Maybe somewhere around https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/loadlayer.html?

Hope that helps, otherwise feel free to ask.
And thanks for offering your help.

Regards,
Harrissou
Thanks