[QGIS-Developer] Qt 6 plans

Nyall Dawson
Hey all,

The Qt project have recently been discussing plans for the next major
release (Qt 6). This blog post is a summary of their current plans:

https://tsdgeos.blogspot.com/2018/06/qt-contributor-summit-2018.html

It all seems quite good from a QGIS perspective, and unlikely to be as
large a porting effort as Qt 5 was.

If their time frame of November 2020 for a first release is kept (and
we wait for Qt 6 for QGIS 4.0) then we'd be probably be looking
roughly at a late 2021-mid 2022 timing for QGIS 4.0. (Put it in your
calendars now so you don't forget to install the new version.)

Nyall

Re: Qt 6 plans

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 21-06-18 03:17, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> If their time frame of November 2020 for a first release is kept (and
> we wait for Qt 6 for QGIS 4.0) then we'd be probably be looking
> roughly at a late 2021-mid 2022 timing for QGIS 4.0. (Put it in your
> calendars now so you don't forget to install the new version.)

:-)

What about putting some qgis.ics calendar file on qgis.org, so you can
put all Qt/QGIS/Grass/* releases, hackfests... from now until 2050 into
your calendar ;-)

Regards,

Richard

Re: Qt 6 plans

3nids
I realize the topic hasn't brought much attention a year ago, but things are getting more real, and Qt 6 is about to be branched [0] -- no, no, not released, just branched ;)

No changes since Nyall's email:
> Qt6 is expected to be released in late 2020 as an evolutionary advancement over Qt5 with less breakage compared to the Qt4 to Qt5 transition.

Nyall estimated some timeline at late 2021 - mid 2022 for QGIS 4.0 release.

One major topic is to decide wether we stick to PyQt6 or if we look towards PySide2. This is for sure not a trivial discussion, and cannot be decided without a deeper look and understanding.

But before going into technical details, I think that we anticipate as much as we can and ideally have this handled by a dedicated group who could propose and defend an action plan and timeline. What PSC thinks about this? Do you have any plan already?

Cheers,
Denis

Le jeu. 21 juin 2018 à 03:17, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hey all,

The Qt project have recently been discussing plans for the next major
release (Qt 6). This blog post is a summary of their current plans:

https://tsdgeos.blogspot.com/2018/06/qt-contributor-summit-2018.html

It all seems quite good from a QGIS perspective, and unlikely to be as
large a porting effort as Qt 5 was.

If their time frame of November 2020 for a first release is kept (and
we wait for Qt 6 for QGIS 4.0) then we'd be probably be looking
roughly at a late 2021-mid 2022 timing for QGIS 4.0. (Put it in your
calendars now so you don't forget to install the new version.)

Nyall

Re: Qt 6 plans

pcav
Hi Denis, Nyall, others,

On 03/09/19 15:27, Denis Rouzaud wrote:

> One major topic is to decide wether we stick to PyQt6 or if we look
> towards PySide2. This is for sure not a trivial discussion, and cannot
> be decided without a deeper look and understanding.
>
> But before going into technical details, I think that we anticipate as
> much as we can and ideally have this handled by a dedicated group who
> could propose and defend an action plan and timeline. What PSC thinks
> about this? Do you have any plan already?

thanks for looking into this. It is good and IMHO reassuring for the
users that we are looking ahead.
no plans have been laid out, you're free to put forward your suggestions.
PyQt has often been a PITA, I believe alternatives should be researched
carefully.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu