[QGIS-Developer] QGIS qgis_editor_widget_styles

[QGIS-Developer] QGIS qgis_editor_widget_styles

Sandro Santilli-4
Hi Regis, Patrick,

I'm working on https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/26186
and trying to figure out what is supposed to create the
qgis_editor_widget_styles table which is queried by
QgsPostgresProvider::setEditorWidgets in
src/providers/postgres/qgspostgresprovider.cpp

One of you seem to have introduced the use of that table.
In current code I find the querier but not the creator,
can you shed any light ?

--strk;

  ()   Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer
  /\   https://strk.kbt.io/services.html

Re: QGIS qgis_editor_widget_styles

Régis Haubourg -2
Hi Sandro,

I don't have the details but faced an issue some months ago:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-qgis-editor-widget-styles-table-what-is-it-How-to-create-it-td5406166.html

Nyall gives some pointer to the code there.

Regards

Régis

--
Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: [hidden email]
tél: 0033 184 257 870

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 06:28:15PM +0200, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> Hi Sandro,
>
> I don't have the details but faced an issue some months ago:
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-qgis-editor-widget-styles-table-what-is-it-How-to-create-it-td5406166.html
>
> Nyall gives some pointer to the code there.

What strikes me is that QGIS is querying a table but never creates
that. The pointers found in that thread are not saying what's supposed
to create that table. I see possible optimizations implying schema
qualification, for example, but since I don't know what creates that
table I can't tell if schema can be predictable or we have to rely
on search_path to find it...

--strk;

On 17/09/2019 19:23, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 06:28:15PM +0200, Régis Haubourg wrote:
>> Hi Sandro,
>>
>> I don't have the details but faced an issue some months ago:
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-qgis-editor-widget-styles-table-what-is-it-How-to-create-it-td5406166.html
>>
>> Nyall gives some pointer to the code there.
> What strikes me is that QGIS is querying a table but never creates
> that. The pointers found in that thread are not saying what's supposed
> to create that table. I see possible optimizations implying schema
> qualification, for example, but since I don't know what creates that
> table I can't tell if schema can be predictable or we have to rely
> on search_path to find it...

Yep, I share your concern. maybe Patrick could explain this as the
author of that feature?

--
Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: [hidden email]
tél: 0033 184 257 870

Re: QGIS qgis_editor_widget_styles

Nyall Dawson
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 05:04, Régis Haubourg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/09/2019 19:23, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 06:28:15PM +0200, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> >> Hi Sandro,
> >>
> >> I don't have the details but faced an issue some months ago:
> >> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-qgis-editor-widget-styles-table-what-is-it-How-to-create-it-td5406166.html
> >>
> >> Nyall gives some pointer to the code there.
> > What strikes me is that QGIS is querying a table but never creates
> > that. The pointers found in that thread are not saying what's supposed
> > to create that table. I see possible optimizations implying schema
> > qualification, for example, but since I don't know what creates that
> > table I can't tell if schema can be predictable or we have to rely
> > on search_path to find it...
>
> Yep, I share your concern. maybe Patrick could explain this as the
> author of that feature?

My (very shaky) understanding is that it's designed for some
administrator to setup in advance, and isn't exposed anywhere in QGIS
ui.

But - to be harsh - this kind of hidden, implementation specific,
feature is the kind of thing we should be extremely wary of. Without
any documentation or publicly accessible explanation of how it works
it's of extremely limited use to QGIS users. At the minimum it should
have been accompanied by a documentation PR explaining how it should
be used.

Googling "qgis_editor_widget_styles" gives no clues at all.

Nyall

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 05:46:34AM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> My (very shaky) understanding is that it's designed for some
> administrator to setup in advance, and isn't exposed anywhere in QGIS
> ui.
>
> But - to be harsh - this kind of hidden, implementation specific,
> feature is the kind of thing we should be extremely wary of. Without
> any documentation or publicly accessible explanation of how it works
> it's of extremely limited use to QGIS users. At the minimum it should
> have been accompanied by a documentation PR explaining how it should
> be used.

I agree. I'd actually call for dropping this whole support, and if
someone will cry to keep it we'll have someone to talk with about
moving this whole support to a plugin ?

--strk;

Re: QGIS qgis_editor_widget_styles

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
On 9/19/19 11:08 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 05:46:34AM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> My (very shaky) understanding is that it's designed for some
>> administrator to setup in advance, and isn't exposed anywhere in QGIS
>> ui.

I remember it was designed for implementing Inspire models. Not sure
about the status of this project.

>> But - to be harsh - this kind of hidden, implementation specific,
>> feature is the kind of thing we should be extremely wary of. Without
>> any documentation or publicly accessible explanation of how it works
>> it's of extremely limited use to QGIS users. At the minimum it should
>> have been accompanied by a documentation PR explaining how it should
>> be used.
> I agree. I'd actually call for dropping this whole support, and if
> someone will cry to keep it we'll have someone to talk with about
> moving this whole support to a plugin ?

How about deprecating this functionality to drop it with QGIS 4 and
starting with 3.12 raise a warning that this is deprecated functionality?

This will leave some lead time to jump in before deprecation and some
lead time to react before removal.

Matthias

Le jeu. 19 sept. 2019 à 11:21, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 9/19/19 11:08 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 05:46:34AM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> My (very shaky) understanding is that it's designed for some
>> administrator to setup in advance, and isn't exposed anywhere in QGIS
>> ui.

I remember it was designed for implementing Inspire models. Not sure
about the status of this project.

Interesting. I'm copying this to Yves, he might be aware of who uses it and react better than the Pr's author. If such a feature exists it would be nice to advertise it and make sure it is self contained in qgis. Otherwise, let's go for the deprecation warning and drop it in QGIS 4

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 12:41:03PM +0200, Régis Haubourg wrote:

> Le jeu. 19 sept. 2019 à 11:21, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> > I remember it was designed for implementing Inspire models. Not sure
> > about the status of this project.
> >

> Interesting. I'm copying this to Yves, he might be aware of who uses it and
> react better than the Pr's author. If such a feature exists it would be
> nice to advertise it and make sure it is self contained in qgis. Otherwise,
> let's go for the deprecation warning and drop it in QGIS 4

It would be great to see a specification about that table.
For example it isn't clear in which schema such table should be found,
which makes it even harder to optimize its querying...

--strk;