[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Onboarding Day?

Raymond Nijssen
Dear Devs,

Making plans for the next hackfest (13-15 March 2020, The Netherlands)
we are thinking of a way to attract new people to the project. Quite
some Dutch people are interested to come over and "see" us, but of
course we need to help them getting up and running.

So we are thinking on doing an "Onboarding Day" the day prior to the HF
(Thursday March 12) with workshops teaching:

- How to translate?
- How to write documentation?
- How to compile?
etc...

We already noticed Alessandro's offer to do a Mentor Stream on "my first
pull request" which would also fit this idea.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on this? And would you like to
arrive one day earlier in the lovely Netherland to warmly welcome new
contributors?

Thanks,
Raymond (and Rosa and Aron)

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/24th-Contributor-Meeting-in-'s-Hertogenbosch

Re: QGIS Onboarding Day?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Raymond,

I think it is a good idea. I was about to ask if we can already arrive on the 12th - but I guess this would answer my question.

I could talk about ways to "support" QGIS financially (just a really short talk summarizing how one can contribute and how the funds are used, but maybe useful).

Greetings,

Andreas

Re: QGIS Onboarding Day?

pcav
Agreed, very good idea.
I'm available for help.
Cheers.

Il 05/12/19 13:32, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

> Hi Raymond,
>
> I think it is a good idea. I was about to ask if we can already arrive
> on the 12th - but I guess this would answer my question.
>
> I could talk about ways to "support" QGIS financially (just a really
> short talk summarizing how one can contribute and how the funds are
> used, but maybe useful).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2019-12-05 13:18, Raymond Nijssen wrote:
>
>> Dear Devs,
>>
>> Making plans for the next hackfest (13-15 March 2020, The Netherlands)
>> we are thinking of a way to attract new people to the project. Quite
>> some Dutch people are interested to come over and "see" us, but of
>> course we need to help them getting up and running.
>>
>> So we are thinking on doing an "Onboarding Day" the day prior to the
>> HF (Thursday March 12) with workshops teaching:
>>
>> - How to translate?
>> - How to write documentation?
>> - How to compile?
>> etc...
>>
>> We already noticed Alessandro's offer to do a Mentor Stream on "my
>> first pull request" which would also fit this idea.
>>
>> Just curious, what are your thoughts on this? And would you like to
>> arrive one day earlier in the lovely Netherland to warmly welcome new
>> contributors?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raymond (and Rosa and Aron)
>>
>> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/24th-Contributor-Meeting-in-'s-Hertogenbosch

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: QGIS Onboarding Day?

Raymond Nijssen
The venue will be available for 4 days, 12-15 March. In case you want to
arrive even earlier or stay longer please let me know and i will try to
arrange something.

On 05-12-2019 13:32, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi Raymond,
>
> I think it is a good idea. I was about to ask if we can already arrive
> on the 12th - but I guess this would answer my question.
>
> I could talk about ways to "support" QGIS financially (just a really
> short talk summarizing how one can contribute and how the funds are
> used, but maybe useful).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2019-12-05 13:18, Raymond Nijssen wrote:
>
>> Dear Devs,
>>
>> Making plans for the next hackfest (13-15 March 2020, The Netherlands)
>> we are thinking of a way to attract new people to the project. Quite
>> some Dutch people are interested to come over and "see" us, but of
>> course we need to help them getting up and running.
>>
>> So we are thinking on doing an "Onboarding Day" the day prior to the
>> HF (Thursday March 12) with workshops teaching:
>>
>> - How to translate?
>> - How to write documentation?
>> - How to compile?
>> etc...
>>
>> We already noticed Alessandro's offer to do a Mentor Stream on "my
>> first pull request" which would also fit this idea.
>>
>> Just curious, what are your thoughts on this? And would you like to
>> arrive one day earlier in the lovely Netherland to warmly welcome new
>> contributors?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raymond (and Rosa and Aron)
>>
>> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/24th-Contributor-Meeting-in-'s-Hertogenbosch

Re: QGIS Onboarding Day?

Régis Haubourg
Hi,
that's a big +1 for the onboarding idea. And yes Andrea, a short talk on how to contribute financially, followed by an open discussion is clearly something helpfull. I'll be glad to participate or help.
Régis

Le jeu. 5 déc. 2019 à 14:58, Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
The venue will be available for 4 days, 12-15 March. In case you want to
arrive even earlier or stay longer please let me know and i will try to
arrange something.

On 05-12-2019 13:32, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi Raymond,
>
> I think it is a good idea. I was about to ask if we can already arrive
> on the 12th - but I guess this would answer my question.
>
> I could talk about ways to "support" QGIS financially (just a really
> short talk summarizing how one can contribute and how the funds are
> used, but maybe useful).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2019-12-05 13:18, Raymond Nijssen wrote:
>
>> Dear Devs,
>>
>> Making plans for the next hackfest (13-15 March 2020, The Netherlands)
>> we are thinking of a way to attract new people to the project. Quite
>> some Dutch people are interested to come over and "see" us, but of
>> course we need to help them getting up and running.
>>
>> So we are thinking on doing an "Onboarding Day" the day prior to the
>> HF (Thursday March 12) with workshops teaching:
>>
>> - How to translate?
>> - How to write documentation?
>> - How to compile?
>> etc...
>>
>> We already noticed Alessandro's offer to do a Mentor Stream on "my
>> first pull request" which would also fit this idea.
>>
>> Just curious, what are your thoughts on this? And would you like to
>> arrive one day earlier in the lovely Netherland to warmly welcome new
>> contributors?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raymond (and Rosa and Aron)
>>
>> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/24th-Contributor-Meeting-in-'s-Hertogenbosch

Re: QGIS Onboarding Day?

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi Raymond,

Really nice initiative, with a very suggestive name.

I've added a stream "Get my first QGIS Server up and running..." to the
event page.

Best regards,

Jorge Gustavo

On 05/12/19 12:18, Raymond Nijssen wrote:

> Dear Devs,
>
> Making plans for the next hackfest (13-15 March 2020, The Netherlands)
> we are thinking of a way to attract new people to the project. Quite
> some Dutch people are interested to come over and "see" us, but of
> course we need to help them getting up and running.
>
> So we are thinking on doing an "Onboarding Day" the day prior to the HF
> (Thursday March 12) with workshops teaching:
>
> - How to translate?
> - How to write documentation?
> - How to compile?
> etc...
>
> We already noticed Alessandro's offer to do a Mentor Stream on "my first
> pull request" which would also fit this idea.
>
> Just curious, what are your thoughts on this? And would you like to
> arrive one day earlier in the lovely Netherland to warmly welcome new
> contributors?
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond (and Rosa and Aron)
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/24th-Contributor-Meeting-in-'s-Hertogenbosch

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática

Re: QGIS Onboarding Day?

Thomas_Baumann
Hi Raymond,
I think especially getting QtCreator or Visual Studio under Windows OS up and running would be a good topic if the are windows users as newbies at your hackfest.

On Linux and Windows I got the debug setup with QtCreator running with the help of our paid QGIS support but the setup on windows with Visual Studio which i tried on my own was just a nightmare.

I'm still not sure if there are essential parts missing in the docs at the moment (adding Version.lib dependency, manually creating qgis.env) which were necessary for me to be able to debug in Visual studio:

I can imagine that a "debug"-boarding directly from the QGIS devs would be helpful for many users... So I was wondering if you plan to record the boarding?

If I wouldn't have needed the debug environment for my work I would have just given up after some frustrating hours and dismissed the idea of helping bugfixing QGIS.

regards,
Thomas

Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 5. Dez. 2019, 13:19:
[...]

Hi Thomas,

Good idea to also explain this for Windows. However we will need someone
to teach that since I don't know how to compile on Windows. Could you do
it? You seem to have managed setting it up and you could prevent other
people to having the same frustrations you met.

Recording the workshops is also a great idea. I will try to get the
equipment for that. The workshops might be too long though, resulting in
long and boring videos, so maybe creating short(er) instruction videos
would me more efficient.

Thanks for your input, hoping to see you at the hackfest!
Raymond

On 06-12-2019 14:42, Thomas Baumann wrote:

> Hi Raymond,
> I think especially getting QtCreator or Visual Studio under Windows OS
> up and running would be a good topic if the are windows users as newbies
> at your hackfest.
>
> On Linux and Windows I got the debug setup with QtCreator running with
> the help of our paid QGIS support but the setup on windows with Visual
> Studio which i tried on my own was just a nightmare.
>
> I'm still not sure if there are essential parts missing in the docs at
> the moment (adding Version.lib dependency, manually creating qgis.env)
> which were necessary for me to be able to debug in Visual studio:
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/q/340984/67477
>

> I can imagine that a "debug"-boarding directly from the QGIS devs would
> be helpful for many users... So I was wondering if you plan to record
> the boarding?
>
> If I wouldn't have needed the debug environment for my work I would have
> just given up after some frustrating hours and dismissed the idea of
> helping bugfixing QGIS.
>

> regards,
> Thomas
>
> Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> schrieb am Do., 5. Dez. 2019, 13:19:
>
>     Dear Devs,
>
>     Making plans for the next hackfest (13-15 March 2020, The Netherlands)
>     we are thinking of a way to attract new people to the project. Quite
>     some Dutch people are interested to come over and "see" us, but of
>     course we need to help them getting up and running.
>
>     So we are thinking on doing an "Onboarding Day" the day prior to the HF
>     (Thursday March 12) with workshops teaching:
>
>     - How to translate?
>     - How to write documentation?
>     - How to compile?
>     etc...
>
>     We already noticed Alessandro's offer to do a Mentor Stream on "my
>     first
>     pull request" which would also fit this idea.
>
>     Just curious, what are your thoughts on this? And would you like to
>     arrive one day earlier in the lovely Netherland to warmly welcome new
>     contributors?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Raymond (and Rosa and Aron)
>
>     https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/24th-Contributor-Meeting-in-'s-Hertogenbosch

Re: QGIS Onboarding Day?

Régis Haubourg

getting to make good documentation of how to run debug traces on windows would be awesome, that could be a target of the hackfest.
I'm not sure that building QGIS on Windows is really an onboarding task, it's more a really advanced one from what I understand.
Regards
Régis

Le ven. 6 déc. 2019 à 14:42, Thomas Baumann <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

I won't be at the hackfest this time but I could record a screencast before the HF so users can try to get the development setup running even before they arrive.

If I would attend an onboarding session for me it would be very interesting to watch how an experienced QGIS developer would debug a bug.

regards,
Thomas