[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3 "GPS Information Panel" not fully functional

[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3 "GPS Information Panel" not fully functional

C Hamilton
In the "GPS Information" panel for QGIS 2 there are two tabs. One of Signal strength and the other for "Satellite." The QGIS 3 implementation drops the "Satellite" tab and the "Signal" tab shows nothing. Are there plans to properly implement these two functions?

I am using QGIS 3.2.0 on Windows.

Thanks,

Calvin Hamilton

Re: QGIS 3 "GPS Information Panel" not fully functional

Nyall Dawson
On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 at 01:40, C Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the "GPS Information" panel for QGIS 2 there are two tabs. One of Signal strength and the other for "Satellite." The QGIS 3 implementation drops the "Satellite" tab and the "Signal" tab shows nothing. Are there plans to properly implement these two functions?

Not currently. This was a big blocker during the early transition to
Qt5 in the beginning of QGIS 3.0 development. The graph widget used to
show the satellite tab (QwtPolar) is no longer developed and doesn't
work with Qt5. In the end (after much deliberation) the satellite page
was temporarily removed from QGIS 3.0 so that we could move on with
development. And then it turned out that no-one complained and no-one
was interested in actually doing the work implementing a replacement
OR funding a developer to do this, so the feature was completely
dropped.

If someone wants to fund/develop a replacement it will gladly be resurrected!

Nyall

Re: QGIS 3 "GPS Information Panel" not fully functional

C Hamilton
Thanks for that explanation. I guess the satellite tab is more for curiosity than actual value.

The "Signal" tab is there but apparently does not work. That one is useful. Are there any comments about it?

Thanks!!!

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 at 00:37, C Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for that explanation. I guess the satellite tab is more for curiosity than actual value.
>
> The "Signal" tab is there but apparently does not work. That one is useful. Are there any comments about it?

Not sure what's happening with this one -- I don't have a receiver
which reports the information required for this graph, so can't
diagnose what's happening here or if it's working as expected.

Nyall

Re: QGIS 3 "GPS Information Panel" not fully functional

Alessandro Pasotti-2
Hi Nyall,

if you want to have a receiver "without having a receiver" you could use this recipe: https://www.itopen.it/use-your-android-phones-gps-in-qgis/

w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: QGIS 3 "GPS Information Panel" not fully functional

C Hamilton
With QGIS 2.x I get a nice bar graph, but with QGIS 3 it is a blank white panel.