[QGIS-Developer] Q-without-GIS

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[QGIS-Developer] Q-without-GIS

pcav
Hi all,
I'm certainly biased here, but I believe QGIS is now possibly the best
system for data entry and reporting for a variety of sources, most
notably PostgreSQL, even for purely alphanumeric data. I'm seeing more
and more applications where prin layouts are produced without a map,
etc.
How feasible would it be to modularize the application, in order to be
able to use it also without the map canvas and all other geographical
goodies?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Q-without-GIS

Raymond Nijssen
Haha, I never heard anyone using QGIS for any work that doesn't have a
map involved. Do you have examples?

But last month I suggested using QGIS for generating the invoices for
the Dutch User Group (as an atlas). Because I didn't know another way
for doing such a job. Besides I thought it would be funny. :)

Raymond


On 20-02-2020 10:22, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm certainly biased here, but I believe QGIS is now possibly the best
> system for data entry and reporting for a variety of sources, most
> notably PostgreSQL, even for purely alphanumeric data. I'm seeing more
> and more applications where prin layouts are produced without a map, etc.
> How feasible would it be to modularize the application, in order to be
> able to use it also without the map canvas and all other geographical
> goodies?
> Cheers.
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Q-without-GIS

pcav
Il 2020-02-20 11:46 Raymond Nijssen ha scritto:
> Haha, I never heard anyone using QGIS for any work that doesn't have a
> map involved. Do you have examples?

sure, plenty of:
* designing od data entry forms (yes, even for an addressbook)
* reports including pictures and tables

> But last month I suggested using QGIS for generating the invoices for
> the Dutch User Group (as an atlas). Because I didn't know another way
> for doing such a job. Besides I thought it would be funny. :)

indeed!
cheers
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Q-without-GIS

Etienne Trimaille
In my previous jobs, I got the use case where I wanted to use QGIS without maps ...
It was a Postgresql database and I needed a application to do some CRUD on the database, in an easy way.
QGIS does plenty of things like:
- forms
- attribute table
- conditional formatting in the attribute table
- loading views from PostgreSQL etc
- dataplotly
- layout/reports
which are indeed very nice. It looks a little bit weird to open QGIS to open a non-spatial project :)

I didn't find any good software to replace QGIS. (maybe I was biased too)
I tried to build one quickly a few months ago for editing a single postgresql table (with conditional formatting and forms), but I didn't go far:

Le jeu. 20 févr. 2020 à 12:05, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Il 2020-02-20 11:46 Raymond Nijssen ha scritto:
> Haha, I never heard anyone using QGIS for any work that doesn't have a
> map involved. Do you have examples?

sure, plenty of:
* designing od data entry forms (yes, even for an addressbook)
* reports including pictures and tables

> But last month I suggested using QGIS for generating the invoices for
> the Dutch User Group (as an atlas). Because I didn't know another way
> for doing such a job. Besides I thought it would be funny. :)

indeed!
cheers
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer

_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Q-without-GIS

pcav
A QEP opened
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/166
Comments welcome.
Cheers.

Il 20/02/20 14:36, Etienne Trimaille ha scritto:

> In my previous jobs, I got the use case where I wanted to use QGIS
> without maps ...
> It was a Postgresql database and I needed a application to do some CRUD
> on the database, in an easy way.
> QGIS does plenty of things like:
> - forms
> - attribute table
> - conditional formatting in the attribute table
> - loading views from PostgreSQL etc
> - dataplotly
> - layout/reports
> which are indeed very nice. It looks a little bit weird to open QGIS to
> open a non-spatial project :)
>
> I didn't find any good software to replace QGIS. (maybe I was biased too)
> I tried to build one quickly a few months ago for editing a single
> postgresql table (with conditional formatting and forms), but I didn't
> go far:
> https://github.com/Gustry/qgis_standalone_application
>
> Le jeu. 20 févr. 2020 à 12:05, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     Il 2020-02-20 11:46 Raymond Nijssen ha scritto:
>     > Haha, I never heard anyone using QGIS for any work that doesn't have a
>     > map involved. Do you have examples?
>
>     sure, plenty of:
>     * designing od data entry forms (yes, even for an addressbook)
>     * reports including pictures and tables
>
>     > But last month I suggested using QGIS for generating the invoices for
>     > the Dutch User Group (as an atlas). Because I didn't know another way
>     > for doing such a job. Besides I thought it would be funny. :)
>
>     indeed!
>     cheers
>     --
>     Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>     QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html
>     _______________________________________________
>     QGIS-Developer mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
>     Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> QGIS-Developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
>

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:
http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer